Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Marriot vs August Suites and state of the latter

pschroeder

I'll be visiting Pattaya in the coming weeks (first time), and I have reserved a (still cancellable) room at the Marriot (good location, nice pools). It's a bit expensive, though, also it seems to be frequented by "normal" tourists (families, etc), so I don't know how well it is suited for our kind of vacation.

I'm now also looking at the August Suites hotel. An executive suite would be almost 2.5 times as large as the Marriot deluxe room as well as better equipped, while still being 30% cheaper. Also looking at the Agoda reviews, the guests seem to be much less couples/families and rather single persons. On the downside, August Suites is located a bit farther away from Walking Street, also it only has a single small pool.

Has anybody been at either hotel lately and could give me some feedback on my luxury dilemma :-)

Also if somebody stayed at August Suites in the last 1-2 months, did you notice mold in your rooms? Some German reviews hint that this is becoming an issue, and I have asthma and am allergic to that stuff. Also some English reviews complain about construction noise during the day and a bar being loud during the night.

I was looking at the August Suites as well but the small pool put me off , Intimate hotel or Mercure might be good other options to look at

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

I prefer Marriott for the good location, nice big pool and good fitness and spa. I stayed 3 or 4 times at August Suites : the location is not the best, and what really pissed me off, is the Thai-Chinese lady who is the 'boss'. She is very unfriendly. One day, a cheap ashtray was broken falling down from the table in my room. She wanted to charge me 500 baht. I found the same ashtray at 30 baht at the Friday market !

I just got back yesterday from spending 8 days at the Marriott in Pattaya (August 23 through 31). Had a Terrace Suite just off the pool. I also had a lot of company in my room with no issues from the staff or other guests. The Marriott is not as diligent as other hotels at checking ID cards of overnight guests, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.  Personally I love the central location of the Marriott and will be back there in November.....

:GoldenSmile1:

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

I stayed at August Suites a couple of months back. I had mould in my room right near the air conditioning outlet. Big area 2 metres by 1 metre. It made the room smell a bit. The cleaners couldn't seem to get rid of it

I've stayed there plenty of times - this was the first time I had seen the mould. Everything else is perfect though. You can walk to beach road and jump on a baht bus to walking st. Some nights I would get a beer from 7-11 and walk along beach rd to Walking Street  Plenty of young ladies to interact with along the way 555

12 Pints in Know it all

I stayed at August Suites during sonkran this year.

I would say its ok,cheap with ok breakfast.If you spend a lot

of time in your hotel-room I would choose another hotel;but I suppose

going to Patts,you have other things to do :GoldenSmile1: 

For a cheap and nice hotel,with nice staff,I would recommend April Suites.

Someone mentioned Mercure as an option. I think there may have been issues with bringing "guests"  back to the room in the past. Or not. 

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Stayed at August Suites last year and a few weeks ago,its about 4-5 years old now and i know thats not a particularly long time but its starting to show signs of wear and tear,it is a popular hotel afterall.Its still a really good hotel which i would recommend though,someone mentioned the pool not being very big but in i fact like the pool area here,its certainly big enough for a proper swim.Its in a great location,near sois 7 and 8, and soi buakhao is only a minute or so walk away.Most of the staff are friendly enough although the girl on reception doing the night shift can be a bit surly,especially if you wake her up if shes nodding off lol.

I`ll probably have a change of accomodation next time,but thats because having stayed here twice now i want to try somewhere else.

One other thing,the beds are huge,if you like the odd threesome then the beds are ideal,but although there isnt a guest fee for the 1st guest you have to pay 500 extra for a 2nd guest,500 baht once or twice isnt going to harm your finances but if you like regular threesomes it can add up over 2-3 weeks.

Stayed at august suites last year and a few weeks ago,its about 4-5 years old now and i know thats not a particularly long time but its starting to show signs of wear and tear,it is a popular hotel afterall.Its still a really good hotel which i would recommend though,someone mentioned the pool not being very big but in i fact like the pool area here,its certainly big enough for a proper swim.Its in a great location,near sois 7 and 8, and soi buakhao is only a minute or so walk away.Most of the staff are friendly enough although the girl on reception doing the night shift can be a bit surly,especially if you wake her up if shes nodding off lol.

I`ll probably have a change of accomodation next time,but thats because having stayed here twice now i want to try somewhere else.

One other thing,the beds are huge,if you like the odd threesome then the beds are ideal,but although there isnt a guest fee for the 1st guest you have to pay 500 extra for a 2nd guest,500 baht once or twice isnt going to harm your finances but if you like regular threesomes it can add up over 2-3 weeks.

If its the same girl that has been there for a while, I saw her in a Soi 6 bar with a guy. She was shocked, so was I. 555

12 Pints in Know it all

I can only comment about August Suites....nice clean hotel (with no mold), helpful staff & girl friendly. This room was 307 (from memory) & had a new flat screen TV....not all rooms have this so ask before booking if you want one. Hope this helps :Grin3:

2014-March 045.JPG

2014-March 046.JPG

2014-March 049.JPG

2014-March 050.JPG

2014-March 048.JPG

2014-March 047.JPG

If its the same girl that has been there for a while, I saw her in a soi 6 bar with a guy. She was shocked, so was I. 555

Lol i bet she was,i`d have loved to have seen that,could well be the same girl,dont know how long shes worked there, but she was there last year anyway so well over a year at least!

I can only comment about August Suites....nice clean hotel (with no mold), helpful staff & girl friendly. This room was 307 (from memory) & had a new flat screen TV....not all rooms have this so ask before booking if you want one. Hope this helps :Grin3:

attachicon.gif2014-March 045.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-March 046.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-March 049.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-March 050.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-March 048.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-March 047.JPG

Although i stayed on a different floor the rooms are what you would call `identikit`,like a lot of hotels i suppose.

P8030071.JPG

I stayed in May and had one of the ginormous beds, (I wonder what they would charge for a sheet if a girl had an "accident") the rooms were showing their age a little, I liked the pool, was often the only user so size was not a problem. I had a special price of 1250 Baht. Compared with the Marriot at 3000 then I was getting my long timers free of charge!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

:08:

Stayed at August Suites in March and booked there again in a weeks time. Ideal location for me, no noise during my last stay.

Didn't have any mold in the room that I noticed, just wouldn't bother with the breakfast, found that ordinary.

Cheers

Stayed at the Marriott a couple of times. It is well worth the price if the room and very easy process with girls. There is a security guard at the elevator who keeps I D's. Very discreet and respectful of the ladies. There a lot of families, but I think the hotel motto is don't make a big deal of the ladies and no one really notices. If you are not a Marriott gold level member don't eat there. If you are, you get free breakfast and free drinks and appetizers everyday and night.

Wallbanger

Although i stayed on a different floor the rooms are what you would call `identikit`,like a lot of hotels i suppose.

attachicon.gifP8030071.JPG

And there's a suspicious dark area at the aircon, probably mould (the areas closest to the aircon are the coolest, causing the highest condensation - perfect mould climate). So I guess I'd rather stay clear of August Suites, so not to risk getting a mouldy room (as they still haven't responded to an email inquiry on a general question I sent them a couple of days ago, I probably don't need to bother asking them about reserving a non-mouldy room for me).

Marriott has the very best pool & swim up bar for enjoying down time. Friendly, and helpful staff. 24 hour room service. But the clintcher has got to be the location! The front, "Hidden" entry is right on beach road between soi post office, and boys town. Or leaving out the back puts you on second road just blocks from soi metro. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. And runs late. Did I mention the laundry service? Also, lets not forget the girls just love staying at the Marriott. In my mind, the ONLY choice!

I just returned from a 7 week stay in Pattaya, and based on a recommendation by a friend that lives there, I stayed at Pattaya Bay Resort.  It is on Soi 15 immediately behind the Avenue mall and next door to Mercure hotel.  Price was very reasonable, service excellent, and so close to everything.  Walk across the street and go thru Avenue mall, you are on Second Road, one more block and on Beach Rd at Soi 13.  The room is very large, stand up fridge, good wi fi, micro wave oven, and hot water pot for tea or instant coffee.  I will be staying there on my future trips unless I decide to lease a condo and stay for 6-8 months.  Good luck, enjoy yourself,

Please how can you compare august suite to marriot..i always stay in august suite. About 6 years 2 time in a year is the best hotel for me ..but we talk. About 1400 bath last month..and i booked for march about 1600 bath...marriot how much ???? 4000 bath.........different hotel same you compare august suite with Hilton.....

Hi,

I have just returned from PATTAYA (3 days )  & stayed at the August Suites

which i have stayed many many times over the years , I have never seen any mould

in the rooms & as far as the staff goes i think they are fantastic ,

MRBILL2

Don't know August Suites but know the Marriott very very well. In my head I have circa Bt4000 as a target price, all in.

Repeat stayers should perhaps consider buying the Marriott Gold Card for about Bt9k free nights, discounted nights, 2-4-1 drinks and food. Shit load of value.

Stayed at August Suites twice, once this year. Rooms clean and modern, certainly no mould. I DO believe the BM who said that, it happens, but why not ask for a change of room? If I have mould in a room I would be out in minutes not days.

That said if you can afford the Marriot I would certainly choose that. FAR superior hotel, inded one of the best hotels in Pattaya. 5 Star and girlfriendly in both senses of the word i.e. despite the fact it IS a "family" hotel the staff treat your girls excellently, no looking down etc.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Archived