IGNORED

Dublin to Bangkok direct from 2015

Chris P Bacon

This will be of interest to us Irish members but it looks like Norwegian Air will be operating a direct flight from Dublin to Bangkok next year,how great would it be to get on in Ireland and hop off in Bangkok with no more stop overs,i really hope it happens!

Low-cost carrier Norwegian Air Shuttle is considering launching a Dublin to Bangkokservice next year in a move that could make it the first airline to connect the Republic directly with the major tourist hub.

A spokesman for the company, whose long-haul operations are licensed and managed by a subsidiary based in the Republic, confirmed yesterday the airline is considering launching the Dublin-Bangkok service.

He pointed out there is no regular, direct link between the Republic’s capital and the Thai city, but said there does appear to be demand. He added that should the airline decide to go ahead, it is likely it would launch it next yearMinister for Tourism Leo Varadkar recently said the Government is keen to see airlines developing services to eastern Asia. Norwegian began offering low-cost, long-haul services last year, pricing transatlantic flights at $300-$350 return.

The company is expanding and plans to link locations in the US such as New York and Fort Lauderdale, and Bangkok and other far eastern destinations with London and other centres in northern and western Europe.

Its chief executive, Bjorn Kjos, recently told The Irish Times that modern aircraft technology have made it possible to offer low-cost, long-haul services. Norwegian employs 40 people in offices close to Dublin Airport.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/low-cost-airline-eyes-dublin-bangkok-flights-1.1845389

This would be awesome, I also heard something about someone maybe doing a direct Dublin to Phuket flight too but I only caught a bit of the interview and never got the name of the airline.

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

I will stick with Emirates as proven and stopover is fine for R&R and of course Fag breaks now if only Emirates can address the lack of own lounge (sigh ) it would be perfect

I just wish any airline would start offering the Bangkok route out of Cardiff to break the KLM monopoly. Hate the small planes they use to get to Amsterdam.

Now the Welsh Government own the airport you'd think they'd be able to bribe one airline (sorry, mean give incentives to!) to start flying out there.

I'd have thought there would be enough demand if one of the Middle East airlines flew out a few times a week.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I will stick with Emirates as proven and stopover is fine for R&R and of course Fag breaks now if only Emirates can address the lack of own lounge (sigh ) it would be perfect

I didn't think you flew out of Dublin 

I dont mind a stop over in AUH as its only 2 hours or so but a direct flight would be great,i have to agree about the Emirates not having their own lounge as the DAA lounge is shit compared to Etihads own lounge in Dublin.

That would be great , would take it if the price is right , I booked the flight this December for €592 by Etihad to stay for 8 weeks . I don't mind indirect flight , but when going for a week or two weeks holidays , a direct flight would be better , thanks for the update .

There might well be interest in this proposed new service but there is one issue - a direct flight is not the same as a non-stop flight. In fact, there are many instances of direct flights where at the intermediate point you have to sit in the aircraft for maybe the best part of an hour. Definition of direct vs non-stop:

Quote:

A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop at an intermediate point.[1] The stop over may either be to get new passengers (or allow some to disembark) or a mere technical stop over (i.e., for refuelling). Direct flights are often confused with non-stop flights, which are flights involving no intermediate stops.[2] When there is a change in flight number, the subsequent flight is referred to as a connecting flight.

Unquote.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

I didn't think you flew out of Dublin

I haven't but as from 2015 intend to start doing so matey :-)

I wonder if they will use their 787s on the route.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Dennis M,you are a genius.You beat me to it. Even people in the industry mis-use the phrase. I know after 32 years and I cringe when I hear it. 

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Having worked in the Airline Industry for the last 40 years to see a direct flight from Dublin to Bangkok would be amazing. So who would take this on ?

Please tell me and Emirates and Etihad  ? Norwegian long haul will not work.

Have heard very good things about Turkish Airlines via Istanbul especially business class offering very competitive rates.

Having worked in the Airline Industry for the last 40 years to see a direct flight from Dublin to Bangkok would be amazing. So who would take this on ?

According to the article it is Norwegian air..they are already based in Dublin and from what i hear they will be using a dreamliner for the route,why do you think it wont work?

There might well be interest in this proposed new service but there is one issue - a direct flight is not the same as a non-stop flight. In fact, there are many instances of direct flights where at the intermediate point you have to sit in the aircraft for maybe the best part of an hour. Definition of direct vs non-stop:

Quote:

A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop at an intermediate point.[1] The stop over may either be to get new passengers (or allow some to disembark) or a mere technical stop over (i.e., for refuelling). Direct flights are often confused with non-stop flights, which are flights involving no intermediate stops.[2] When there is a change in flight number, the subsequent flight is referred to as a connecting flight.

Unquote.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

if they are direct with no stop to pick-up anyone i'll be first in line, thanks for info

Call it what you like direct or non stop but once the plane departs Dublin its going straight to Bangkok not stopping off anywhere.

It would be perfect for me if i could fly direct to BBK from Dublin, it makes it much more less hassle of stopping over for a number of hours & having to go through security again & having to queue up in line again to board the second flight...

If it cost a little more to fly direct its still worth it when u consider what u can avoid in a stopover as mentioned above...

Chris if u hear any more about it could u let me know please...

Cheers... :GoldenSmile1:

Have heard very good things about Turkish Airlines via Istanbul especially business class offering very competitive rates.

Terrible stopover on way back.. 6 hours I think .

Why would that not work?

I am flying OSL - BKK with Norwegian (787 dreamliner) in 10 days. Norwegian is the company i am using most when i am travelling. Never had a problem

Just look at the recent fiasco on Norwegian Air Services to USA !  In July 2014 three flights ex Gatwick /USA had delays of over 40 hours and with no immediate back up for the B787 - some passengers had to sleep in the Airport for 2 days !  and thats even without the competition of Emirates and Etihad !

Long Haul Low Cost just does not work !  Look at the history of Airlines who have tried :-

Laker Airways

Oasis Hong Kong

Air Asia X (Europe)

Zoom Airlines

If Long Haul Low Cost really worked you can bet a certain Mr O'Leary would have started already.

Just look at the recent fiasco on Norwegian Air Services to USA !  In July 2014 three flights ex Gatwick /USA had delays of over 40 hours and with no immediate back up for the B787 - some passengers had to sleep in the Airport for 2 days !  and thats even without the competition of Emirates and Etihad !

Long Haul Low Cost just does not work !  Look at the history of Airlines who have tried :-

Laker Airways

Oasis Hong Kong

Air Asia X (Europe)

Zoom Airlines

If Long Haul Low Cost really worked you can bet a certain Mr O'Leary would have started already.

Michael O Leary is a prick but a shrewd business man . He fools many people , for example I walked in without check in online to Leeds from Dublin , and got charged €10 for check in . Many people don't have a clue with it but they do next time . He always try every nook and cranny to trick the innocent passengers .

Mr O'Leary may be a prick in your eyes but if i was down to may last £1 who would i want to get me the best return for my £1 ?

Anyway Norwegian Air face many lawsuits over recent delays on flights to/from USA - http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Cancelled-Norwegian-Air-Shuttle-Flight-Strands-Hundreds-at-LAX-for-Days-268604312.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_LABrand

Archived