IGNORED

European firms decry Thai trial of British activist

News Bandit

A group of major European companies has voiced alarm at the trial of a British activist who could be imprisoned in Thailand for his investigation into alleged labour abuses in the Kingdom's food industry.

View the full article

That will maybe teach him to not go around poking his nose into others affairs.

That will maybe teach him to not go around poking his nose into others affairs.

So employing/exploiting children is OK in your opinion :SoWhat1:

So employing/exploiting children is OK in your opinion :SoWhat1:

I don't think anyone thinks that is ok, but reality bites.

Go down to Khao San Rd and you will, if you're astute, notice the number of Myanmar/ Cambodian Service staff working there.

I spoke to a couple of girls putting themselves through uni on the minimal wages there. They live communally to save money and were IMHO the best staff on the floor. The Thai staff there were only really directing them in their work.

It's certainly not ideal but on a scale of relative economy these folks are doing what they have to do to get ahead.

I remember that to get my first job I would have eaten a shit sandwich and told you it tasted good.

What are the alternatives?

I'm not sure that forcing the issue makes for more opportunities for countries lower down on the economic development Totem Pole.

Archived