IGNORED

Non Spicey Thai food- Suggestions...

JR Hartley

Hi guys,I hope this is the right forum to start a thread on Thai food ,but my problem is i actually would like to eat more Thai food but I just find it too spicey (in some cases WAY too spicey !! ) and as a result I am seeking some advice from you gourmets about any Thai dishes i could try which are less Spicey than the likes of Larb and Som Tam ,Gai Yang etc. It seems like the only non farang food I can eat happens to be Cow Pat gai and that gets boring after a while. So can anyone reccomend me examples of Thai dishes which don't burn the top off my head off when eating it? I tried a nice prawn dish years ago in a thick browny/orangey sauce which was gorgeous but don't remember the name of it. It's a shame because I bet I'm missing out on some top scran. Cheers folks.

How about Pad Thai & chicken in yellow curry.

................................................................................................................

U can get any dish in Thailand mild . ( not spicy ) all you have to say to the cook or waiter. Is ( MY PET ) - ( not spicy ) done . No need to worry about spicy food at all .

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

U can get any dish in Thailand mild . ( not spicy ) all you have to say to the cook or waiter. Is ( MY PET ) - ( not spicy ) done . No need to worry about spicy food at all .

I asked for my pet once,   bastard ended up cooking my cat 

I asked for my pet once, bastard ended up cooking my cat

did the pussy taste good ?

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Tom ka kai , coconut soup with chicken (ask for the 'mai pet' version) . 

I asked for my pet once,   bastard ended up cooking my cat 

:LOL2:

Robw

Nice one guys, definitely going to eat more Thai food now using the "My Pet" method and I'll try and avoid eating  Ropin's cat   :FunnyPost1:And I'll give those other dishes a try while I'm at it.

Rad Na Gai is a good meal. It's chicken in gravy/soup with noodles and vegetables. The pork stuffed omelette is also nice. 

Indeed just ask for not spicy. Only a variation of papaya salad I did not like if they don't put spices in it. Also watch out for lemongrass, they put it in a lot. Sometimes instead of the other spices.

how do you ask for medium spicy? thanks

You don't have to ask. if you are a falang, you probably get it falang spicy = light/medium spicy. if you want more, name the number of chilli's.

If you like shellfish (well cooked of course) Hoi Tod is very good, and you add the sweet chili sauce to taste, so it's only as spicy as you make it. it's available in many restaurants, or from many street venders.

I agree with Mister Egg except on the spelling!.... Kow Pad Gai (Chicken Fried Rice, or with Pork or Prawns or plain egg) is a staple and never contains Chilli. Yellow curry (as mentioned - Massaman Curry) but still order it Mai Pet as they just can't help themselves (adding chillis). Stay well away from Tom Yum Gung (Spicy Prawn with Lemon grass soup) because it needs the chilli to balance and the soup paste is spicy even without adding chillis so its a no go. Be careful with Tom Kha Gai too, Mai Pet can often mean 1 bird eye chillies instead of 10... you cant go wrong with Fried Rice... also Pad Pak is normally safe (stir fried vegetables). You cannot order green or red curry because the curry pastes they use are already spicy so avoid. Its not easy. I cannot speak Thai but I might even say 'Phet Zun' (spicy zero)... that might work better... 

Khao moo grob( crispy pork on rice) , steamed chicken on rice, any of the BBQ Isan style (grilled meats, sausages , whole fish and mystery bits), what Thais call Korean BBQ sometimes( cook at your table all you can eat thing).

pad-see-ew-muu.jpg

Pad See Ew - ผัดซีอิ้ว : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phat_si_io is one my favourite and it's not spicy at all (stil safe to ask "mai pet") as a cooker in the kitchen got always an easy on spices...

It's like wide rice noodles with chicken or pork and vegetables cooked in soy sauce, tasty as hell !

I asked for my pet once, bastard ended up cooking my cat

I'll always be able to remember this now, thanks.

For a lovely plate of some greens (morning glory) say pak boong fai daeng (mai phet).

A nice bland soup you'll see in English on some menus ... minced pork with seaweed and tofu (never spicy) 

Archived