IGNORED

Has anyone noticed an increase in hotel prices?

thisisit001

Hi all, I recently made an inquiry to book my hotel (J&P Court) in Soi Lengkee, to find that prices have gone up by 150 THB per night. I am looking to stay from 15th January, 2015 until the end of the month. Can anyone tell me if this would be a seasonal increase in price or are prices going up in general?

Many thanks.

Both,in finding that prices in high season are rising much quicker than low season,price difference between high and low getting more like Phuket

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

The hotels/guesthouses in Pattaya are one of the cheapest in the world. I paid 400B 25 years ago and now 5 or 600 for the same standard. That's not too bad.

You booked in peak season when everything is full. Try two month later and the price will be down by 150 again.

T.

The hotel next door is charging 700 a night but not sure what the rooms are like. I think I will have to bite the bullet on this one this time and hope it's not a permanent change. Over the course of my stay it's like an extra £50 on hotel costs. I might have a look at a few rooms at other places whilst I'm there for future reference.

Thanks for you replies

Dave

I have just come back from Pattaya and I would say that prices in general are actually down now as it is low low low season.

The OP has noticed an increase due to booking in advance for high season.

The hotel next door is charging 700 a night but not sure what the rooms are like. I think I will have to bite the bullet on this one this time and hope it's not a permanent change. Over the course of my stay it's like an extra £50 on hotel costs. I might have a look at a few rooms at other places whilst I'm there for future reference.

Thanks for you replies

Dave

surely £50 on a 2/3k holiday isn't going to break the bank

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

Yes. When I checked apartments at VT6 in April. About 22K/month without a problem.

Now I see ”cheap” rooms for 30K and the room I am staying in now is about 40K. Up almost 7K since I booked it.

(my theory: Is it the stronger dollar? The dollar is up about 15% against for example SEK since earlier this year. Thai logic: They get more Baht for the dollar = we increase the price since they won’t notice it)

Yes. When I checked apartments at VT6 in April. About 22K/month without a problem.

Now I see ”cheap” rooms for 30K and the room I am staying in now is about 40K. Up almost 7K since I booked it.

(my theory: Is it the stronger dollar? The dollar is up about 15% against for example SEK since earlier this year. Thai logic: They get more Baht for the dollar = we increase the price since they won’t notice it)

Or maybe it's because the VT6 has the exclusive location and seems to be very popular. They afford to increase the prices and punters will pay that extra 200bht/day. There is not much other places near the VT6 which offers same kind of condos.

I personally like to be in the Soi Buakhao and if my favorite hotel will increase the price 200bht/day, I will search for the another place to stay. There is lots and lots of other similar places to stay.

Or maybe it's because the VT6 has the exclusive location and seems to be very popular. They afford to increase the prices and punters will pay that extra 200bht/day. There is not much other places near the VT6 which offers same kind of condos.

I personally like to be in the Soi Buakhao and if my favorite hotel will increase the price 200bht/day, I will search for the another place to stay. There is lots and lots of other similar places to stay.

I agree with you there, it provides competition for prices. I like the Soi Bukhao area as well and I have been more than happy to stop at this hotel for the last 3 or 4 years but it just seems that it is a sharp increase in one go. I have saved £50 on my air-fare and thought I'd done well but now the £50 I have saved will go to the hotel. I also agree that £50 on a 3K holiday is not much but I like to choose how I spend it and not have others choose for me. The question I think I need to ask myself now is are there better or same types of hotel in the area for a cheaper price? I think a bit of research is required lol.

There is a Thai hotel Association which collectively decides whether to increase prices or not on a nationwide basis. They agreed recently to up prices by a few percent,but might have backtracked as they based their figures on a ten percent upswing in tourist numbers only to find the military coup reduced tourist volume by a similar amount.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

There is a Thai Hotel Association which collectively decides whether to increase prices or not on a nationwide basis. They agreed recently to up prices by a few percent,but might have backtracked as they based their figures on a ten percent upswing in tourist numbers only to find the military coup reduced tourist volume by a similar amount.

This association therefore it is not very flexible in deciding on the amount of fixed prices, while the number of tourists fell noticeably. Maybe it's like in other countries, prices always go up very quickly, but they go down and fall very little and seldom.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Both,in finding that prices in high season are rising much quicker than low season,price difference between high and low getting more like phuket

No Phuket is probably better as they now in low season have more than one half off most hotels you don't see this in Patts on average.

Archived