IGNORED

Go to Sleep: Which Pill Is Right for You

QuotaMan

Guide for those medicating/self medicating in Thailand :)

https://www.yahoo.com/health/which-sleeping-pill-is-right-for-you-91170842992.html

Earlier this year, the FDA issued a wake-up call to manufacturers of the popular sleep aid Lunesta: It required that the recommended starting dose be cut in half, from 2mg to 1mg, in light of data showing that people who took it at night experienced "severe next-morning psychomotor and memory impairment" and might not be alert enough to drive safely. The mandate came more than one year after an FDA requirement that manufacturers of zolpidem-containing sleep aids, like Ambien, reduce bedtime doses due to similar problems. Still, a whopping 9 million Americans — or 4 percent of the adult population — pop sleeping pills from time to time, according to a 2013 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, with many more using natural remedies, or suffering silently through nights of insomnia. Here’s a look at what else we’re taking:

085b36bc8f2245ca428a383d8bd171aa096ed2c7

Ambien
Generic name: zolpidem

How it works: As a sedative-hypnotic class of drug, it helps the brain produce calming feelings.

Pros: Works quickly (users fall asleep within 15 to 30 minutes). Plus, the extended-release version promotes longer sleep.  

Cons: Can be addictive, loses its effectiveness over time, and can cause dangerous behaviors such as sleep eating syndrome.

399ee6296bb67a64edd56eec4768862f22dc0a44

Rozerem

Generic name: Ramelteon

How it works: Targets the sleep-wake cycle, similar to the natural remedy of melatonin.

Pros: No evidence of abuse.

Cons: Can cause sleepwalking and can’t be used with the anti-depressant fluvoxamine.

a86e68e8befdf48f167ff983a88c4ae72b165565

Sonata

Generic name: Zaleplon

How it works: It’s a hypnotic and relaxes the central nervous system.

Pros: Stays in the body for a short time so it’s safe to pop one at 2 a.m. after trying to fall sleep naturally.

Cons: Preceding it with a heavy meal can make it less effective. May cause sleep-driving, sleep-eating or other behaviors that often won’t be recalled the following morning.

b211d22878e02d92c3a6ddcf58aae96535cc59ea

Silenor

Generic name: Doxepin

How it works: It’s a tricyclic antidepressant and operates by blocking histamine receptors.

Pros: Unlike some of the other drug families, this one promotes immediate and long-lasting sleep.

Cons: Can cause weight gain.

9a4bc3594e1b7e90ae700ae71b3cb758f64788da

Xanax

Generic name: aplrazolam

How it works: This older-class, general sedative is a benzodiazepine (like Valium).

Pros: Stays in the system longer than many other non-benzodiazepines, and can therefore be helpful in treating sleepwalking, for example.

Cons: Prevents users from spending lots of time in the deepest sleep stages (three and four) depriving them of solid rest. It can also cause hangover-like effects and can more easily lead to dependence. 

0c5731d8dcbdb2220cc58c73f99c21c855a40ba0

Klonopin

Generic name: clonazepam

How it works: A benzodiazepine often used to control seizures or panic attacks, it calms the brain and nerves.

Pros: Very effective in preventing REM behavior disorder, in which people to ‘act out’ their dreams (shouting, moving their limbs, walking around).

Cons: Can be addictive.

134f1b5c34a9126f0237fafce1dd8f9b75f06000

Desyrel

Generic name: Trazodone

How it works: Mainly an antidepressant, it acts by releasing the calming neurotransmitter serotonin and evokes drowsiness.

Pros: Not an FDA-controlled substance, so it’s easier to nab a ’scrip.

Cons: Though “very unlikely,” it can cause priapism (prolonged erections) in men.

0c1806adc875c1623437112f75ab716d248074c2

Valerian

How it works: This root acts as a natural sedative.

Pros: No prescription is needed and its effectiveness intensifies the more often it’s used.

Cons: Can sometimes cause insomnia.

a97546da457c57fd02d073861ec3774949631ca5

Melatonin

How it works: This natural hormone helps regulate sleep-wake cycles (the circadian cycles).

Pros: There’s evidence it can help reduce jetlag.

Cons: May be risks of bleeding or seizure.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Only a fool will self medicate but up to them

Zopiclone is a very good product but is not available in Thailand (zopildem is with a visit to a hospital).

• 2 weeks later...

i love taking sleeping pills, but they are no good for me - if I have one, i'll need one then next night to be able to sleep, but I have only really tried xanex

Living in Thailand for 8+ years, moved to Vietnam also making videos now on YouTube about life in Thailand, Vietnam

Nick Swift YouTube

Thank goodness I don't need any help sleeping...  it must be my clear conscience!  5555!

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

• 1 year later...

I had terrible Insomnia during my last trip (3 hours of sleep per night).

I tried Xanax for the first time and it knocked me out but I didnt get good REM sleep.

Just reading the side effects of some of these drugs makes me very grateful that I've managed to keep my Insomnia under control so far without resorting to any of the harder stuff.

I still have the occasional really bad night, but thankfully, some of the more conventional techniques for insomnia work to some extent.

The best advice that I was ever given was simply not to stress in bed about sleeping. If I wake up and don't get back to sleep relatively quickly, it's better to get up, do something, then go back to bed when your body remembers it's meant to be asleep. Lying in bed stressing about sleep makes it extremely unlikely you're gonna get back to sleep, and just reinforces the pattern of poor sleep.

You left off diphenhydramine (Benedryl/Unisom).  It is OTC and worked great for me on my last trip.

Tripta (Amitriptyline hydrochloride) works quite fine and is easy to get in Pattaya.

Yep bang on the money. Was just checking no one had said it first. Amitriptyline is anti depressant but for first few doses will knock you as a side effect.

Soon as body becomes used to it 3-4 days it loses effectiveness.

Ideal for those odd nights in off the booze where normally you find it hard to sleep....50mg will do the job.

Try telling that to the 100's who take this ED muck that's sold by Thai Wide boys bar to bar !!  I asked before and got treated like a leper  when I suggested what had their Doctors advised previously. None had bothered !!

Phenergan - OTC in Australia and Britain (last time I bought there) but not the US. Don't know about Thailand.

Old fashioned 'drowsy formula' antihistamine. Just one 10mg tab extremely effective in short term but after a while you'll have to up your dose. I currently need 2 x 25mg tabs and it's less effective than it used to be.

Phenergan - OTC in Australia and Britain (last time I bought there) but not the US. Don't know about Thailand.

Old fashioned 'drowsy formula' antihistamine. Just one 10mg tab extremely effective in short term but after a while you'll have to up your dose. I currently need 2 x 25mg tabs and it's less effective than it used to be.

I've got some of this as well. I was concerned about transiting through the middle east airports with xanax etc (illegal apparently)

My chronic Insomnia began in my early teens. In time I tried every over the counter pill or supplement. In my 30's I dated a girl who had Xanax. It worked but left me hung over the next day. I was able to try Ambian but you could only get a small amount of pills. 4 years ago I finally got a prescription for zolpiden. Have to take it nightly but it still works well after many years. I don't like having to take them but I really like sleeping again.

As an FYI Zolpidem is the generic name for ambien. Been using it for years.

Posted Image

quickest ligths out  for me is zolpiderm...less than 10 minutes from take to deep sleep...keep me a sleep for 7 hours

I can't sleep on planes due to my head keep dropping lol,just wish that i could afford buisness class.

Will try a sleeping tablet next flight.

As a Brit its now virtually impossible to get any form of Sleeper via conventional methods ie Doctor.

Our huge surgery will give one tablet only and only on the death of a close relative. I started asking elsewhere but got same reaction. No No No

As a Brit its now virtually impossible to get any form of Sleeper via conventional methods ie Doctor.

Our huge surgery will give one tablet only and only on the death of a close relative. I started asking elsewhere but got same reaction. No No No

Absolutely,i know loads of people trying to blag sleeping tablets from the doctor with no success.

Only way now is the Internet.

Archived