Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

thinking buying a camera

iceice69

hi , I am thinking of buying a camera. probably a slr camera. I don't want to buy a camera , then have to upgrade later,

is the Nikon d5200 . Fuji x1.

would it be better to buy in the uk or los.

I  would like to some landscapes and start off a hobby ,which I can have fun with.

if you could give any advice . that would be great

I would recommend that you buy it in the UK, if that is where you live. You will then have no issues with warranty claims should you need it.

If your main aim is landscapes get a lens that allows for wide-angle shots.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I am sure the price will be better in the UK. I bought a point & shoot (fits in a shirt pocket) to lug around. The USA price for my Nikon S6500 was about $75, the price here in Thailand is twice that.

There is a topic "what is your camera" with many cameras recommended by posters. Take a look although not many people give samples.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Cameras are like mobiles...new models all the time.

Prices are inexpensive. Main issue can be battery life, before needing recharging....suggest have a 2nd battery and good sized SD Card.

If you're shooting videos...will chew up LOTS of memory.

LOW light seems to be problematic with most non-SLR's.

Make sure the flash is good also :)

Cameras cost whatever you want to spend on them. There is always an improvement for a little extra $ so you need to have a budget in mind and then buy the best you can with that budget. More $ means better lenses, better sensor etc.

As the camera base and lens are separate with dslr cameras it means you can upgrade your base camera without having to buy new lens (although there are limits of using a half frame lens on a full frame camera etc). However the lens of different manufacturers are incompatible so you are locked into that manufacturer without starting from scratch.

Buy in the UK. LOS is not always cheaper for genuine branded electronic stuff. If you don't need to buy new have a look on ebay. You can pick up an older model based camera and lens for a lot less than new.

cheers for that.

will look at the what camera,

thank you for taking your time to help me.

If you are not looking for a point and shoot, the very best idea I ever got from a professional was, buy great glass.  That means that lenses are forever, especially with adapters, the bodies are upgraded before you unpack it.  Figure out what format you want, I use a Micro 4/3 and love it and spend most of your money on great lens as they will fit any new body that comes out...

Good luck.

Joker

Oh also, the kit lenses that come with most SLR's and 4/3 cameras are not very good...

I bought the P510 in central festival. it was about the same price as the UK but included a 16gb card and camera case which werent on the UK deal. I then claimed the tax back at the airport

I've just bought a Canon SLR here in Thailand. The price was WAY less than that in the UK. OK the warranty might be a problem but with a quality camera the chance of any problems are remote.

I upgraded from a Nikon D5000 and bought a D610 at MBK in Bangkok this week. The price was less than in the US but that's unusual.  Pictures are sharp but this was not one of my best bar fines.

DSC_1817b.JPG

Retired

A lot depends what you want the camera for.  Do you really need a SLR with lens's.

I  know several people who now can't be bothered lugging a SLR around. A nice Compact may do everything you want and can go in your pocket.

Just as the previous BM billyboy 294 writes, important is what you expect from the camera and what your requirements are.

Among camera SLR and compact camera can make a big difference to the quality of the images and of course the price. SLRs are generally more expensive and more experienced photographers. Compact cameras are simpler, cheaper, more automated, often without a lot of setup parameters, smaller and thus more portable and smaller scales.
Much compacts can pay great service and make great pictures.
What is important is light sensitivity, zoom, battery capacity, weight camera, optical zoom, resolution, etc. etc..
Use the search engine on the internet and comparators.

I think it may be a good compact camera from Panasonic series TZ-60

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Just as the previous BM billyboy 294 writes, important is what you expect from the camera and what your requirements are.

Among camera SLR and compact camera can make a big difference to the quality of the images and of course the price. SLRs are generally more expensive and more experienced photographers. Compact cameras are simpler, cheaper, more automated, often without a lot of setup parameters, smaller and thus more portable and smaller scales.

What is important is light sensitivity, zoom, battery capacity, weight camera, optical zoom, resolution, etc. etc..

A good option for someone like the OP is to consider a compact camera that also can be used in full manual mode (or at least in aperture and exposure priority). You then have good parts of both formats. The manual controls allow for more creative control when the urge is there to do so. Anyone with a slight interest in photography should consider this as it would be difficult to develop without learning the different technical aspects on photography (ie exposure, aperture, sensitivity and white balance).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Not wanting to upgrade is not realistic. Photography is an expensive hobby. Even more so than pussy! [emoji2] Get a starter camera. Take some pictures. See what you like and dislike and upgrade.

I never knew  there was a Lumix TZ60.

I bought a TZ5 in 2008. my daughter has aTZ20  This year i bought a TZ35 (no frills version of TZ40) Original price £300 but reduced to £130 in UK.

They are nice cameras and easy to use.

I never knew  there was a Lumix TZ60.

I bought a TZ5 in 2008. my daughter has aTZ20  This year i bought a TZ35 (no frills version of TZ40) Original price £300 but reduced to £130 in UK.

They are nice cameras and easy to use.

Yes, I think the type series continues TZ 55, TZ 60 TZ 60 has very good characteristics in my opinion. Price of TZ60 in my country is about 360 Euro (480 USD) at this time  :hello09:

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

All depends on what you want to use the camera for.  I had a D5100 and It was a really good camera, took some great photos with it.  The D5200 is the camera that replaced it in theNikon line up.  One BIG thing to remember is that there is a large difference between a crop sensor camera D5200 to a Full Frame camera D610.  If you primarily use your camera for landscapes and travel type photos the D5200 or the new D5300 is perfect for you.  If most of your photography is of people or in very low light you will want to get a Full Frame camera, the depth of field of a full frame camera is 1.5 times shallower than that of a crop sensor.

I use a D7100 now as it has better weather sealing and better controls than my D5100, like others have suggested good glass is expensive but well worth it.  Try to stay away from the super zoom lenses, like the 18-300.  The more of a zoom you get the lower the quality of the picture.  Most quality zoom lenses will be in the 2X and 3X category.  Prime lenses will make your photos really shine.

Don't limit yourself to looking just at Nikon, both Canon and Sony have some nice cameras out there, and I would really look at some of the mirroless cameras as they are smaller in size to haul around. 

This is a good website to do some research on  http://www.dpreview.com

Go for one of the upmarket compacts, get a little bag for it that you can wear on your belt, then every time you go out your camera is with you. If you get a large DSLR + lenses you wont be assed taking it with you all the time, and therefore will miss many photo opportunities. There are some superb compacts available from Fuji, Sony, Pana. Don't be drawn by the highest megapixels, but go for the largest sensor, plus IQ. Personally I prefer Fujifilm cameras today.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

If you are thinking you might be taking photos indoors( eg. Thai girls in your room)  don't buy one with a pop-up flash.  It is just a gimmick. With the frame round it, the space it takes up in the camera when closed could be better used by a much bigger built-in flash

Also when you use the camera in 'portrait mode' the flash is more off-set from the lens than a built in flash would be and thus cast a bigger shadow.

They claim it prevents red-eye but red-eye is easily dealt with but an under-lit dark photo is not much good. Any way i have never had a problem with red-eye as my room is normally well lit

Remember it's not the camera (as most cameras in a certain price segment will

have only slight differences in quality) but the persons that pushes the button ... 

Practise is the secret ... 

Nikon D5200 is fine just as the Canon Eos 600/700 will be fine (though sold

cameras for 25 years and by far the most problems where with Nikon cameras) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought my first DSLR. A nikon D5200 and I'm over the moon with it. I's reccomend that you also buy a learner guide with it, I got the dummies guide for the nikon D5200 and it's been worth it's weight in gold. A lot to learn but very very worthwhile.

Archived