Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Americans Flying Business Class

jamduf

If you're racking up 25k-30k a month, then I would definitely see if you can bump up to first on your next trip! 

Kudos on accumulating so many AA miles with credit card spending -- it always warms my heart to hear of other BMs using credit card spend to get incredible seats to Thailand!

Yeah, I've always been a mileage whore  :) with American, Delta, United & JetBlue. But American is my primary carrier.  I've been a member of the American Airlines AAdvantage Program for several years.  I've got the Gold Elite status with 1.7 million miles.  Soon (once I hit 2 million miles) I'll be elevated to Platinum Elite status, with even more benefits, Admirals Club membership, free upgrades, etc.  I've usually always got 150k - 200k miles on my account. And whenever I get too many miles on my account, I'll grab a flight to Vegas or something, just to burn up a few miles!  I'm going to call the airlines tomorrow to check into my 1st class upgrade.  Thanks again to Little Evil for the great info.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a very short article in this month's Conde Nast Traveler about the frequent flier programs for Delta, United and American. The writer's recommendation is to fly American much as possible because the program could be changed like the others.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-08-28/what-s-happening-to-frequent-flier-programs

Cathay 1st is epic. I've flown it maybe a dozen XS, mainly because I passionately hated their old coffins in Biz.They were really tight and confining. I haven't been able to get myself to use the extra miles for F since they put in the new Biz setup. It's good enough.

• 1 year later...

Trying to book business class award travel from the USA to BKK.

Nearly impossible to find seats for late winter!!

Any advice from you hardcore award travel pros?

Joey - don't know where in the US you're flying from, or what you mean by late winter (winter ends March 21), but it took about 60 seconds to find plenty of biz class flights using UA miles in mid-Feb. For instance, this route on Lufthansa and Thai Air (23 hours and 80k miles each way.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298680.377210.jpg

Trying to book business class award travel from the USA to BKK.

Nearly impossible to find seats for late winter!!

Any advice from you hardcore award travel pros?

get yourself a free trial account on here.

also PM me your dates, departure city and which airline you want and I will do some searching with KVS

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

I'm flying business from Dubai to bkk on Thai air, I think it was 2k. Anybody fly business on Thai air before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get yourself a free trial account on here.

also PM me your dates, departure city and which airline you want and I will do some searching with KVS

Thanks! I'll send you a PM.

I'm flying business from Dubai to bkk on Thai air, I think it was 2k. Anybody fly business on Thai air before?

I flew that route once a couple years back. It was on their older 2x2x2 royal silk J seats that are 170* flat (angle flat) and not every seat has direct isle access.  I believe it was an A330 or 340, and J was the front of the plane. It was just OK, but seemed closer to a regional offering from companies like CX. I had a front row seat that while offered good legroom, it mean the IFE screen swiveled up from the frame of the chair. As such, the screen was smaller and kind of beat up. Mine was a bit fuzzy, but it didn't matter because the selection sucked anyway. I don't recall the food at all, which would imply it was neither great nor horrible. Service was friendly, but not the most attentive. It would be great if this route was updated to their new staggered J seats on their 777's. Those new seats are like Emirates newer J offering, all with direct isle access.

Joey - don't know where in the US you're flying from, or what you mean by late winter (winter ends March 21), but it took about 60 seconds to find plenty of biz class flights using UA miles in mid-Feb. For instance, this route on Lufthansa and Thai Air (23 hours and 80k miles each way.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447298680.377210.jpg

Yeah, Star Alliance. I wish. I should have mentioned I have to deal with OneWorld from the Eastern U.S. My trip will be late February to mid March.

I flew that route once a couple years back. It was on their older 2x2x2 royal silk J seats that are 170* flat (angle flat) and not every seat has direct isle access. I believe it was an A330 or 340, and J was the front of the plane. It was just OK, but seemed closer to a regional offering from companies like CX. I had a front row seat that while offered good legroom, it mean the IFE screen swiveled up from the frame of the chair. As such, the screen was smaller and kind of beat up. Mine was a bit fuzzy, but it didn't matter because the selection sucked anyway. I don't recall the food at all, which would imply it was neither great nor horrible. Service was friendly, but not the most attentive. It would be great if this route was updated to their new staggered J seats on their 777's. Those new seats are like Emirates newer J offering, all with direct isle access.

Thanks, just checked most the flights are on an a330 and one appears to be a 777.

Have a look at flyertalk. Should give some good tips on FF programs. Alaska, AA, Avianca etc will have sales on their miles throughout the year making redemptions for premium class travel more affordable. Great if you have some miles but just need to top up to hit that redemption!

I flew J on their 747 all series which was updated. Was decent. Not sure what 330 or 777 is like but at very least you wont go hungry or thirsty and will be able to stretch your legs!

Thanks, just checked most the flights are on an a330 and one appears to be a 777.

No worries. Just keep in mind that Thai operates 3 versions of the 777, each with its unique layout. Only the 77w has the newer seats, to my knowledge. 

I got a ticket from bangkok to sfo on china air for just over $2200 business class in Oct. The flight from bkk-taipei was on a 747 & was pretty bad but the taipei-sfo segment was on a 777 (new) & was fantastic.

I also was able to get a premium economy RT for $1400 from sfo-bkk on China air in Oct. The PE was pretty good on the 777 (was able to sleep) & was upgraded to business on the 747 segment.

China air is getting rid of the 747's. My return BKK-Taipei on the PE flight will be with a seat 30" wide on an A340.

I always thought China air was about bottom of the barrel but not anymore.

Flying LAX-BKK in First next summer using American Airlines points on Cathay Pacific... Cost 67,500 each way in First... Had no problems getting flights... getting points was easy too -  just signed up for two credit cards when they were offering 50,000 miles each to sign up... Then keep watching for deals on how to get extra AA miles...

Easy trick is to book your flights in Business for 55,000 each way, then keep checking to see if Cathay has released any First seats...  When they do, you just call up AA and tell them you want to upgrade from Business to First... no extra charge except for 12,500 more points each way.

Learned it all on FlyerTalk!

I've done it a few times; Thai is OK in business class, but from Dubai I'd choose Emirates over Thai unless the price difference is overwhelming.

For anyone planning on flying US-BKK on Cathay Pacific using AA points, the amazing deals are about to end... AA announced their  new point structure yesterday... For flights booked after March, 2016, the number of points is going from 67,500 to 120,000 each way... and earning points is going to be based on fare paid...

For those of us who don't fly a lot, we'll be earning about one THIRD of what we earned before...  Sad, sad day for point addicts...

For anyone planning on flying US-BKK on Cathay Pacific using AA points, the amazing deals are about to end... AA announced their new point structure yesterday... For flights booked after March, 2016, the number of points is going from 67,500 to 120,000 each way... and earning points is going to be based on fare paid...

For those of us who don't fly a lot, we'll be earning about one THIRD of what we earned before... Sad, sad day for point addicts...

You must be talking about First Class, right?

Biz class remains feasible at 70,000 miles each way (up from 55,000), but the increase in first makes it something I will not do once the new rates kick in.  Can't justify the difference when it equates to another business class one way ticket back to BKK

Ironically, I am sitting in the oneworld lounge at LAX as I type this, waiting to board my Cathay flight to HKG, connecting to BKK!  Biz class on this trip. but Feb trip is Cathay first (maybe my last hurrah!)

Checked for the month of February from LAX.

Just under USD3000 on China Eastern or China Southern to BKK

In an out or Manila USD2600 ... option to experience Angeles as well.

Archived