IGNORED

Americans Flying Business Class

jamduf

This! Anything beats a C-130....

Ahhhh...I see ex military here! Your damn right it does! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So where are you flying from in the US?

Cheaper to just get a prescription for a few Xanax or sleeping pill of your choice and knock yourself out for the long leg of the trip.  I usually fly Biz class but if I cant then I just take a 2mg Zanax during the long leg from USA to Tokyo.  A few Aleve pain pills just in case my back hurts too.  Just my opinion.

So where are you flying from in the US?

if your asking the OP, I fly outta Pittsburgh but always have to land somewhere else in the US first b4 leaving the country.

Cheaper to just get a prescription for a few Xanax or sleeping pill of your choice and knock yourself out for the long leg of the trip.  I usually fly Biz class but if I cant then I just take a 2mg Zanax during the long leg from USA to Tokyo.  A few Aleve pain pills just in case my back hurts too.  Just my opinion.

well be careful of that. Might want to read up on DVTs and flying.

wow, I just looked and there are some for 70K,!

most are 80K though when I go looking for award travel on united.com out of SFO or LAX.

I think the 80k is to use United miles to fly business class on another Star Alliance carrier.

I don't know if United can get you all the way to BKK either.

I hate to slam US carriers, but the Asian and Middle Eastern carriers seem to do a better job -- and have a better reputation -- on long haul flights, so I almost always opt for them. 

To the OP's question, I always fly business or first class, but I do it using miles.  Do some research on credit card mile bonuses (on flyertalk or various blogs like "One Mile at a Time" or View from the Wing").  Getting enough miles for a RT business class ticket isn't that hard, since you are a US-based BM.

I think the 80k is to use United miles to fly business class on another Star Alliance carrier.

I don't know if United can get you all the way to BKK either.

I hate to slam US carriers, but the Asian and Middle Eastern carriers seem to do a better job -- and have a better reputation -- on long haul flights, so I almost always opt for them. 

To the OP's question, I always fly business or first class, but I do it using miles.  Do some research on credit card mile bonuses (on flyertalk or various blogs like "One Mile at a Time" or View from the Wing").  Getting enough miles for a RT business class ticket isn't that hard, since you are a US-based BM.

united is not flying to bkk from narita anymore, it is all code share with ana or thai or ....

Maybe that's why all there biz classes are 5K and up.

If one was so inclined and had a Dividend Miles account already, they could buy 100k miles right now (targeted) from US Airways for $1,850. after taxes and then open a US Airways Premier World Mastercard and get the 40k signup bonus. That would be enough for RT business class on One World, USA to BKK and back, or earn 20k more points and go first. Only catch is that you most likely have to already have a Dividends Miles account, as this most recent bonus was targeted. It is also a bit hit/miss with getting desired itineraries, so maybe not the best option for those with very rigid travel dates.

There's a whole thread on this topic already. I'm almost reluctant to even mention it, as I had a hell of a time finding award space for my last trip in Aug. However, despite a bit of trouble lining something up, it was well worth it. Cathay Pacific first class for 160k Dividend Miles is a steal considering they were asking $18k for my itinerary. 

If one was so inclined and had a Dividend Miles account already, they could buy 100k miles right now (targeted) from US Airways for $1,850. after taxes and then open a US Airways Premier World Mastercard and get the 40k signup bonus. That would be enough for RT business class on One World, USA to BKK and back, or earn 20k more points and go first. Only catch is that you most likely have to already have a Dividends Miles account, as this most recent bonus was targeted. It is also a bit hit/miss with getting desired itineraries, so maybe not the best option for those with very rigid travel dates.

There's a whole thread on this topic already. I'm almost reluctant to even mention it, as I had a hell of a time finding award space for my last trip in Aug. However, despite a bit of trouble lining something up, it was well worth it. Cathay Pacific first class for 160k Dividend Miles is a steal considering they were asking $18k for my itinerary. 

I'm booked next February in Cathay first RT using 160k US Air miles.  GOTTA love it!  

Cathay business class is fantastic, but it was well worth it to me to splurge and use the extra 40k miles to upgrade (especially given how many US Air miles I have accumulated) -- their first class service is off the charts!

I'm booked next February in Cathay first RT using 160k US Air miles.  GOTTA love it!  

Cathay business class is fantastic, but it was well worth it to me to splurge and use the extra 40k miles to upgrade (especially given how many US Air miles I have accumulated) -- their first class service is off the charts!

Nice. I think I'm going to have to "settle" for business on the next trip. I'll probably just meet the miles requirements by then, unless I can figure out a creative and lucrative way to roll my 50k Membership Rewards into Dividends. I might go in Feb as well. I'll buy the first round if we link up.

Unless you're one flying motherfucker, upgrading is a waste of miles. People who do it are usually flown about by their employer and/or are trying to attain or maintain status with the airline in question. I've done it a few Xs when Eva miles were expiring. I've bought upgrades on Ebay too - they can be a good deal.

how do you buy upgrades on ebay?

Check this site. http://www.jetradar.com/magicfare

I am finding 3600 dollar flights from JFK-BKK / LAX -BKK with mid week december to mid week january.

Have you used this website? Is it legit? I just found Norwegian Air JFK to BKK RT for $2941. Doesn't seem real. Although, I don't know anything about Norwegian Air. Saw a pic of recliner seats in business. If that is true, then that is like paying business class prices for premium economy. \

Edited to say that on the same search, there is also British Airways business class for $3,363. Three legs: JFK>MXP (AA), MXP>LHR (BA), LHR>BKK (BA). That's a ridiculous price if this is true. Very interested to know if anyone has tried this.

how do you buy upgrades on ebay?

I haven't done it in 5 years or so. technically it's against the rules to sell 'em, but not to gift 'em. 1st, it's up to you to call & find a flight w/upgrade space. Tell them your brother wants give you an upgrade Then you pay & give your info to the seller & he uses his upgrade on you. Bingo. ps: Don't worry, he can't fuck you as long as you use Paypal. They'll will suck back your $$ if he doesn't perform..

Here is something for everyone to look into. As an employee benefit I can book flights business class international and get the same discount my company gets. I can book with any carrier, but I think Delta is the only one they discount. I will call them Monday and research further. I have been with united so im not sure if I will change to Delta. I think United has a better rewards program than the other major US carriers. I would also like to hear other peoples opinions on who they think has the best rewards program. Anyways, guys check with your companies for the discount. If they are flying the higher ups internationally they are getting a discount.

The best award programs aren't associated w/airlines. Starwood lets you transfer Starpoints to a bunch of airlines w/a 25% bonus or use for their hotels. They're considered the most valuable in the business. Chase Ultimate Rewards are a close 2nd. I got 100k for sign up. They have a limited # of airline partners, but all travel & dining related spending gets 2X points & if you buy through the UR Mall you can get as much as 25X points on targeted purchases like FTD or some Wine Club. hotels.com gets you 4X extra points in addition to the 2X on travel already. As far as airlines - it's Alaska all the way. They've got the best award redemption chart out there. USA - BKK on CX in Biz is 100K miles (maybe 105. I think they bumped it up a little).

Here is another way to find cheaper tickets.

http://maphappy.org/2014/06/use-point-of-sale-to-get-cheaper-international-tickets/

Search on websites that are not your "home" country and you can find deals. (I am a "cheap charlie" when it comes to the price I pay, but I end up in biz class for not a whole lot more than a premium economy ticket due to the US Airways sales like posted earlier in this thread)

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Have you used this website? Is it legit? I just found Norwegian Air JFK to BKK RT for $2941. Doesn't seem real. Although, I don't know anything about Norwegian Air. Saw a pic of recliner seats in business. If that is true, then that is like paying business class prices for premium economy. \

Edited to say that on the same search, there is also British Airways business class for $3,363. Three legs: JFK>MXP (AA), MXP>LHR (BA), LHR>BKK (BA). That's a ridiculous price if this is true. Very interested to know if anyone has tried this.

Norwegian is not true Business Class..it is Premium economy and you may only get that one one leg..look at seatguru.com for the layout.  I would also be very cautious about buying an airline ticket via a thrid party broker like faregeek or smartfares.  Look at the Britsh Airways website... if the same flight costs $5800 on the airline site and a broker offers it for $3500 , chances are something is wrong.  Look at the reviews of the brokers.  

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Norwegian is not true Business Class..it is Premium economy and you may only get that one one leg..look at seatguru.com for the layout.  I would also be very cautious about buying an airline ticket via a thrid party broker like faregeek or smartfares.  Look at the Britsh Airways website... if the same flight costs $5800 on the airline site and a broker offers it for $3500 , chances are something is wrong.  Look at the reviews of the brokers.  

I agree. Seems TGTBT. I already did what you mentioned about checking out the source websites for travel. My best guess is that the broker site is showing you a RT itinerary, but quoting one way prices. I would assume that when you get down to actually booking, you'll notice that the price is at least double or higher when to add on the return flights. There are also quite a few redirects to partners from that website, which is a little odd. Maybe just clickbait? 

I'm booked on Cathay Pacific in Business Class for my upcoming trip in 2 weeks.  I used American Airlines Frequent Flyer miles.  Have done this exact itinerary two other times using miles also.  It cost 110,000 miles for business class, plus $41 USD.  Flying from Chicago thru Hong Kong into Bangkok.  The agent told me that the only difference between business class and 1st class was that the seats/beds in 1st class were 82" long, and the seats/beds in business class were 78" long.  But I couldn't see any difference with the naked eye.  Plus, by flying in their business class, I am always granted access into their executive lounge in the Hong Kong airport for my layover.  And in the executive lounge, beside beverages and refreshments, they also give you a robe, towel, slippers, and a small shaving kit including razor, shaving cream, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, mouthwash, etc.  Cathay is always my preferred carrier for Asia.  Much better than Japan Airlines or any of the "domestic" carriers here in the USA.

I'm booked on Cathay Pacific in Business Class for my upcoming trip in 2 weeks.  I used American Airlines Frequent Flyer miles.  Have done this exact itinerary two other times using miles also.  It cost 110,000 miles for business class, plus $41 USD.  Flying from Chicago thru Hong Kong into Bangkok.  The agent told me that the only difference between business class and 1st class was that the seats/beds in 1st class were 82" long, and the seats/beds in business class were 78" long.  But I couldn't see any difference with the naked eye.  Plus, by flying in their business class, I am always granted access into their executive lounge in the Hong Kong airport for my layover.  And in the executive lounge, beside beverages and refreshments, they also give you a robe, towel, slippers, and a small shaving kit including razor, shaving cream, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, mouthwash, etc.  Cathay is always my preferred carrier for Asia.  Much better than Japan Airlines or any of the "domestic" carriers here in the USA.

Let me preface this comment by saying Cathay business class is awesome and well worth it, and I am in no way taking away from your trip. I'd certainly love to book a CA business class trip. However, their first class is on a whole other level. The seat is 36" wide. It is almost an embarrassing amount of space, both width and length (about 3.5 windows). The foot rest is large enough and far enough away to act as a second chair if you want to dine with someone else. You can also put your carry on under it with room to spare. The refreshed version also has a secondary screen for chair movement/massage, as well as actual Bose QC2 headphones. 

The other advantage to first is the service. There are at least 2, if not 3 FA's for 6-8 people (depending on jet) in the first cabin. The service is just ridiculous, right down to hand written notes thanking you by name for taking the flight. They all know you by name and will do pretty much anything (food/beverage wise) to make you happy. PJ's and turndown service with mattress pad and down comforter is like nothing I've ever experience in the air. Well worth the extra 40k if you can swing it. 

Let me preface this comment by saying Cathay business class is awesome and well worth it, and I am in no way taking away from your trip. I'd certainly love to book a CA business class trip. However, their first class is on a whole other level. The seat is 36" wide. It is almost an embarrassing amount of space, both width and length (about 3.5 windows). The foot rest is large enough and far enough away to act as a second chair if you want to dine with someone else. You can also put your carry on under it with room to spare. The refreshed version also has a secondary screen for chair movement/massage, as well as actual Bose QC2 headphones. 

The other advantage to first is the service. There are at least 2, if not 3 FA's for 6-8 people (depending on jet) in the first cabin. The service is just ridiculous, right down to hand written notes thanking you by name for taking the flight. They all know you by name and will do pretty much anything (food/beverage wise) to make you happy. PJ's and turndown service with mattress pad and down comforter is like nothing I've ever experience in the air. Well worth the extra 40k if you can swing it. 

Wow. Thanks for the comment Evil. 

I didn't realize there was "that" much difference between business & first class.  I'm gonna have to look into that one.  Miles are never a problem.  I accumulate between 25k - 30k miles per month on my AA Mastercard from business purchases, so I've always got plenty of miles on my account.  I'm going to call AA/Cathay to check into the upgrade, because if it's only an additional 40k more miles for what you explained, then it's a no-brainer!  Thanks again :)

I agree 110% -- I LOVE Cathay business class, but their first class is really amazing.  

In addition to the points hit my Littler Evil, the food options are pretty absurd -- in addition to GREAT meals, they have cooked to order snacks whenever you want them that are better than the meals served in many restaurants

Wow. Thanks for the comment Evil. 

I didn't realize there was "that" much difference between business & first class.  I'm gonna have to look into that one.  Miles are never a problem.  I accumulate between 25k - 30k miles per month on my AA Mastercard from business purchases, so I've always got plenty of miles on my account.  I'm going to call AA/Cathay to check into the upgrade, because if it's only an additional 40k more miles for what you explained, then it's a no-brainer!  Thanks again :)

If you're racking up 25k-30k a month, then I would definitely see if you can bump up to first on your next trip! 

Kudos on accumulating so many AA miles with credit card spending -- it always warms my heart to hear of other BMs using credit card spend to get incredible seats to Thailand!

in addition to GREAT meals, they have cooked to order snacks whenever you want them that are better than the meals served in many restaurants

You're ain't kidding. Had some sort of cook to order Chinese rice dish/snack that was better than my main course of EVA Premium Laurel. Not to mention that you'll be drinking a glass of Krug and eating a ceviche snack while everyone else is still boarding. Carviar service, 4-5 course meals, Blue Label scotch for a night cap. Oh, and IFE is has a pretty current selection of movies. Total opulence to the point of a little guilt. 

Archived