Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Americans Flying Business Class

jamduf

I was planning on flying business class in the future and I have never done so before. I have checked on some prices and everything looks about 5K and up. So my 1st question is what is the best price you got flying business from the US to BKK? I will gauge my search off these prices. Also is it possible to only fly the long leg business and the 2 short ones economy? If anyone has done this, what was that price? Thank you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last ticket was $3900 US on Delta

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

I can't advise you on the US-Thailand route, I have never done that. However, if you are prepared to put up with some inconvenience then it is possible to mix and match biz and cattle class, and save yourself a ton of money in the process.

I am very tall, with extremely long legs. After two bouts of DVT I now regard cattle class long haul as a health hazard. However, I have no problem with spending two or three hours in an economy seat, and I often fly short legs with Air Asia (for a few extra dollars they let you book exit row seats).

What I do is to look up the best price with Skyscanner (that is an aggregator, which compares several different sites - so it is usually hard to beat their prices). Then look up the price of the legs separately - trying different routes, and classes. Typically I find that you can reduce the overall cost by 50% or more by doing this.

The snag is that if you book different legs separately, you probably won't be able to check your bags all the way through and you will need to go through immigration and customs en route. That means you will need to allow much longer for connections. To me that is a minor inconvenience to avoid the horrors of long haul economy flights!

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Not worth it personally... I just get a seat near the fire exits or in the very front they always have enough leg room. If I were to fly anything other than cattle it'd be first class, but still not worth it lol because to me nothing is worse than flying military haha I flew to Iraq and Kuwait elbow to elbow with 400 other dudes carrying a m249 and m4 the whole way... that was truly miserable.

tenor.gif

My last ticket was $3900 US on Delta

Same here. Flight was booked several months in advance. BKK-NRT-MSP-MKE. Note flight originated from BKK. Don't know if pricing has changed, but several years ago I found flights originating from BKK were a few hundred USD cheaper than flights originating from the US.

Cheapest business class I purchased few years ago was with China Airlines, round trip from SFO to BKK, around 4400 dollars I think.

Delta was 4700 or so as I recall earlier this year.

Cheapest ever was around 2800 round trip with the now defunct NWA, on my second trip to Thailand in 2008.

I think these days it'll average around mid 4000's. 

It's worth every damned penny I spent, no regrets whatsoever. I used to hate flying, but on business class I actually love flying.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Not worth it personally... I just get a seat near the fire exits or in the very front they always have enough leg room. If I were to fly anything other than cattle it'd be first class, but still not worth it lol because to me nothing is worse than flying military haha I flew to Iraq and Kuwait elbow to elbow with 400 other dudes carrying a m249 and m4 the whole way... that was truly miserable.

This! Anything beats a C-130....

I fly Cathay business or first, sometimes they have a special. Check their site, Cathay Pacific USA. They have a special at the moment where you can bid (if available seating) to the next available class 3 days before the flight. 

The snag is that if you book different legs separately, you probably won't be able to check your bags all the way through and you will need to go through immigration and customs en route. That means you will need to allow much longer for connections. To me that is a minor inconvenience to avoid the horrors of long haul economy flights!

That can be a major hassle, turning a 20hr trip into 36+ hrs. That's a major inconvenience to me. My top priority is quickest route from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible, as comfortable as possible. But if cost is a determining factor, which I assume it is for most, them the footwork put into to a hodge podge of segments may could pay for quite a few ST/LT.

With enough planning and flexibility in travel dates, can get business on a major airline between 3-6k; 5-12k during peak travel periods and/or late bookings. If you have status and miles, can book a higher fare coach and upgrade to business/first, but the rules for doing this vary greatly between programs. Worth checking out though.

I used united miles last October. I think it was about 140000 miles RT. I also used the miles to upgrade one trip but I would not do that again on united. The reason being it cost miles and 600 dollars and united will give the seat only if they are available.

This! Anything beats a C-130....

thanks for serving you guys!

I used united miles last October. I think it was about 140000 miles RT. I also used the miles to upgrade one trip but I would not do that again on united. The reason being it cost miles and 600 dollars and united will give the seat only if they are available.

it's now 160,000

Unless you're one flying motherfucker, upgrading is a waste of miles. People who do it are usually flown about by their employer and/or are trying to attain or maintain status with the airline in question. I've done it a few XS when Eva miles were expiring. I've bought upgrades on Ebay too - they can be a good deal.

I used to upgrade with miles and $$ on United, was worth it for me, if it did not clear the waitlist you were refunded.

But now that United discontinued the NRT - BKK flight the miles and $$ upgrade does not apply for the ANA co-share so no longer worth it.

I fly enough to get the Premium Economy for free, the seat is same as economy but with 4" more leg room.

Next trip this October I am going to try Eva's Premium Economy which is wider and more leg room.

That can be a major hassle, turning a 20hr trip into 36+ hrs. That's a major inconvenience to me. My top priority is quickest route from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible, as comfortable as possible.

I agree with you it is a hassle, but it is about priorities. For me, the main priority is my health. I am 6'8" tall with disproportionately long legs - a classic comedy matchstick physique! To put it mildly, economy seats are not designed for me. I have had DVT twice, the last one put me in hospital, and these things tend to get worse each time. I have been told that the next one could well kill me. That is why I will not spend more than about 4 hours in an economy cabin. When I fly long haul I look for direct business class flights. However, if these are insanely expensive then I go for the mix and match. It is an option that some people might find worthwhile. For me, economy is not an option - so this can be a useful money-saving trick.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

What is the price when you upgrade with miles and cash?

on united it is 80,000 miles each way.  award travel.

dunno about upgrading...

Actually 70k each way out of major airports. Here's a sample 20 hour itinerary from east coast US...

70k.jpg

wow, I just looked and there are some for 70K,!

most are 80K though when I go looking for award travel on united.com out of SFO or LAX.

What is the price when you upgrade with miles and cash?

After buying the economy ticket from Houston, it costs me 30k miles and $600 each way to upgrade.

Even then you are on a wait list, not guaranteed and it does not include the NRT-BKK on ANA since United cancelled their flights.

That's why I am trying Eva Air Next time.

I open credit cards for the sign up bonus -some times 50k miles- and fly business class back to the US. I don't go home that often but the miles bonus strategy can work :)

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived