IGNORED

Buying prescription glasses in Thailand​

Global traveller

I am about to buy my first pair of prescription glasses, and exploring the possibilities of buying them in Thailand. Does anyone have any experience of buying prescription glasses and the reliability of the Thai technology. And finally is there any financial benefit of buying in Thailand. 

I am interested in this also :)

Winner Best Adult Web Developer at the Australian Adult Industry Awards 2022 and 2023

They are cheaper to buy in the UK. Also the Thai eye tests are very basic.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I was was a bit laid back, and did not realize that it took 10days to make. I went in 1 week before leaving for Pattaya.  

Don't go to a big mall, they are more expensive than American stores

They are cheaper to buy in the UK. Also the Thai eye tests are very basic.

I wonder if bringing in my perscription from an eye test here would be better?

Winner Best Adult Web Developer at the Australian Adult Industry Awards 2022 and 2023

i have bought some previously, and I used a place called beautiful pattaya klang because I was desperate as mine broke, absolute shite, expensive and crap, but after reading more into it I found a place on second road euro optic. very good to, small place but nice lady and good service, bought a few from her now, reactolytes to,  if you come down second rd from w/s it`s on your right  and has a big green sign, think it`s before the avenue, mind is a bit blank now, but take it slowly you`ll find it,

I would avoid the main chain opticians even though they do seem cheap. The only good optician i have found in Pattaya is Dr Maria Abalon at Euro Optics, opposite Garden Plaza Mall 2nd Road. She is the only one who has given me a proper prescription and perfect fitting glasses. 14,000 baht for a normal pair and sunglasses, cheaper than the UK i think but not by much.

I used top chareon in Jomtien overnight service 2 x prescription sunglasses with everything 6000 baht

Would have paid 4 tomes that in aus and they excellent

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I would avoid the main chain opticians even though they do seem cheap. The only good optician i have found in Pattaya is Dr Maria Abalon at Euro Optics, opposite Garden Plaza Mall 2nd Road. She is the only one who has given me a proper prescription and perfect fitting glasses. 14,000 baht for a normal pair and sunglasses, cheaper than the UK i think but not by much.

+1

Very helpful Philipine lady  , and speak good English  , so you can communicate good . :ThumbUp6:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Pre around 2000 i used to get all my glasses made up in Thailand usually using Charoen ( the ones with the stunning purple dressed opticians. Usually using UK prescription or having glasses copied but also thai perscription (done on computer!) all ok

All was good but then SpecSaver stormed the UK, Prices halved, service doubled, the Baht went from >70 to <55. What is the point.

Bit like having suits made up, cheap clothing, the sort of pound shop stuff, and possibly even dental work and I suspect even golf what was less than half price in Thailand now has to sell on (very dubious) better quality as the same or higher prices. 

Of course if you live in OZ anywhere is cheaper.

14K, WTF! And its cheaper than in the UK, where there is supposed to be government run health care.

15000 baht for a pair of prescription glasses/sunglasses is much more expensive than UK

You can get the same for £100 in all the opticians in the Asda supermarkets and much better quality than Thailand

+ the eye test is only £15 part paid by the UK government

Got a set last week

• 3 weeks later...

Here in NZ prescription glasses are very expensive. I went to my optician and he gave me an up-to-date eye test. My prescription is very difficult as am short sighted in one ye and long sighted in the other so glasses have to be carefully made to give an even balance of view.

When I was in Pattaya in Oct 2013 I took the prescription to Dr Maria at Euro Optic for a new pair of glasses. She checked my eyes and the prescription with her equipment and also checked the prescription of my then current glasses. She made a very good recommendation to sharpen up the focus a bit. I took her erecommendation and ordered the new glasses. They arrived 7 days later.

I checked NZ prices for new glasses before my trip. At Euro Optic they were half the price of what I would have paid in NZ.

Now almost a year later and the new glasses are doing very well and in my opinion are better than what I would have got in NZ at twice the price.

Scan of her card is attached.

grit.

PattayaOptician.jpeg

If you're from the US buy the frames and bring them with you. The frames are the expensive part in Thailand. The lenses are only $20 or so(compared to a few hundred in the US) in Thailand and they can shape them to your frames. This way saves a few hundred dollars compared to buying them back home.

I've done this several times for glasses and prescription sunglasses

Would buying prescription (bifocal) glasses (of good quality) be cheaper in Thailand (Pattaya /Bangkok) or in the Philippines (Angeles / Manila) ?

<!--START COUNTER CODE--><EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2-1.swf?title=Time%20to%20Pattaya&count=down&time=1331452800000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><br><div style="width: 500px; text-align: center">Use the <a href="http://www.webgamedesign.com/countdown.php">countdown generator</a> to create your own <a href="http://www.webgamedesign.com/countdown.php">countdown</a>.</div><!--END COUNTER CODE -->

• 4 weeks later...

Asian optical on Pratamnak soi 4 in pattaya. I got two pairof bifocal transitional lenses with titanium frames. Robert Canet frames. One additional pair of generics thrown in for the total price of 15,000 baht. Very satisfied with that. Can return for adjusting and cleaning anytime for free. Not bad.

• 1 month later...

Here in NZ prescription glasses are very expensive. I went to my optician and he gave me an up-to-date eye test. My prescription is very difficult as am short sighted in one ye and long sighted in the other so glasses have to be carefully made to give an even balance of view.

When I was in Pattaya in Oct 2013 I took the prescription to Dr Maria at Euro Optic for a new pair of glasses. She checked my eyes and the prescription with her equipment and also checked the prescription of my then current glasses. She made a very good recommendation to sharpen up the focus a bit. I took her erecommendation and ordered the new glasses. They arrived 7 days later.

I checked NZ prices for new glasses before my trip. At Euro Optic they were half the price of what I would have paid in NZ.

Now almost a year later and the new glasses are doing very well and in my opinion are better than what I would have got in NZ at twice the price.

Scan of her card is attached.

grit.

attachicon.gifPattayaOptician.jpeg

Bought glasses here many times and went today with my wife. Dr Maria adjusted my glasses and mended my wifes for free even though she did not buy them there.  Excellant service from someone who really knows what she is doing.

I used to get mine at Better Vision in Royal Garden. Always came out good. Haven't been in there in years though thanks to lasik

• 5 months later...

Euro optics service is brilliant.  Glasses that I bought there quite a while ago were perfect, much cheaper than the other big chain shops.  Had a problem with the coating becoming hazy and took them back.  Dr Maria looked at them and straight away said that they were not good enough and ordered another pair of lenses for me.  Bet you would not get that from any other of the big chain type shops.  I would not go anywhere else to buy glasses after the way that I have been looked after there.

Archived