IGNORED

EVA Air LAX/BKK Any one give them a try

Paddy Od

dom perignon in laurel....  that's a nice touch...  used points and flew sfo/bkk.  had 8 hour layover in Taipei, all night, which sucked...  but the laurel class was sweet...

Too bad it was too late to train it into Tapei - great town.

Too bad it was too late to train it into Tapei - great town.

ya, I had no idea what to expect, barely found a place to shower before it closed, and there was fuck all open all night there... won't do that again.  and it was Thai Airlines for the Taipei to BKK with reclining business class seats... it was ok...

8 hour layover ?  The flights I get are

From LAX - 11:30pm out of LAX. arrive 6am at Taipei, then 9am Taipei arrive 11:30am BKK

From BKK   5:30pm BKK to Taipei arrive 10pm then 11:30pm Taipei arrive LAX 7:30pm

3 hour layover on the LAX-BKK flight, but I get passes for the EVA lounge: Get a shower, get some food, a couple of glasses of wine and its time to go.

1 1/2 hr layover on the BKK-LAX flight, just enough time to grab some food at the lounge. I hate eating on airplanes, so I chow down before the flight and skip dinner. 

I've been flying them between LAX and BKK for 10 years now.  They are a great airline.  And here is why they are a good choice:

Price - they are extremely competitive.  I don't know about coach.  I'm a bit older with arthritis and have enough money to fly biz and their pricing in that class is the best going unless you want a subpar airline like Philippines or the like.  Or many of the other airlines with long layovers like Korean in Seoul for like 9 hours.  Check the connections carefully.

Reliability - I think I've flown over 25 times now and never had a hiccup.  Always on schedule.

Schedule - If you select the right flights it is the best thing going.  From LAX you want one of the night flights like midnight to 1 AM.  These flights arrive in Taipei early in the AM and you sit for 2 hours and then arrive BKK at 11 AM or so.  Perfect for arrival in Pattaya around 2-3 PM.  If you have biz class or have a Gold Card with EVA they have great showers in the hospitality area in TPE.

Return flights leave BKK around noon allowing you to leave Pattaya at a reasonable 8 AM on a taxi with no worries.  You have a nice tight connection in TPE arriving LAX around 3 PM which for me allows me to get an onward flight home instead of spending a night in LA.

But you need to specify which flights you take.   The best flights for BIZ class are the 777s.  The older 747s have older seating in them.  

Every time I travel I so the whole search again for a better deal and schedule and to date have not found one that offers what I want for a better price.

8 hour layover ? The flights I get are

From LAX - 11:30pm out of LAX. arrive 6am at Taipei, then 9am Taipei arrive 11:30am BKK

From BKK 5:30pm BKK to Taipei arrive 10pm then 11:30pm Taipei arrive LAX 7:30pm

3 hour layover on the LAX-BKK flight, but I get passes for the EVA lounge: Get a shower, get some food, a couple of glasses of wine and its time to go.

1 1/2 hr layover on the BKK-LAX flight, just enough time to grab some food at the lounge. I hate eating on airplanes, so I chow down before the flight and skip dinner.

How do you get passes for the EVA lounge. ..are you flying business class?

How do you get passes for the EVA lounge. ..are you flying business class?

I fly super economy (Elite Class) twice a year, and I have the silver frequent flyer card.  That gets you vouchers for the lounges.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking this itinerary tomorrow, I have done it three other times in elite (premium economy), no problems, good price, seat is comfortable enough for sleeping, you can earn Star Alliance miles. 

You can't beat the return time from BKK - you can actually have a full night out and leave your hotel at noon and get to the airport with plenty of time.

I'm not very picky on food so I thought it was fine.  Power outlets in the seats. Connections through Taipei are fine (and no annoying bag searches like in Seoul). 

BR 15
Departs Los Angeles  0155

Arrival in Taipei 0610

BR 67
Departs Taipei 0900

Arrival in BKK 1135

BR 68

Departs BKK at 1625

Arrives in Taipei at 2100

BR 16

Departs Taipei 2355

Arrives Los Angeles 2120

I flew on China Southern from LAX - BKK.

The business class leg from LAX - CAN was great.  Excellent comforters, self serve bar with enough liquor choices to kill a horse.  Food selection and service was somewhat strange but who cares.

But you arrive in CAN way early and when I was there in August there was no air conditioning in the terminal for the six hours I was there.  I actually would up hanging out in a baby changing room in the airport lounge (a room with one chair), which was the coolest place in the whole airport.  Same thing on the way back - what passes for AC in that terminal doesn't cut it for most westerners.

Also, the CAN-BKK leg is economy. 

China Southern also has no real ground staff in BKK so Thai Airways personnel do the check in of passengers.

I flew on China Southern from LAX - BKK.

But you arrive in CAN way early and when I was there in August there was no air conditioning in the terminal for the six hours I was there.  I actually would up hanging out in a baby changing room in the airport lounge (a room with one chair), which was the coolest place in the whole airport.  Same thing on the way back - what passes for AC in that terminal doesn't cut it for most westerners.

Did this flight in Feb and it was like a walk-in cooler in that terminal...I wonder if they installed HVAC?

i flew EVA from SFO to BKK a couple weeks ago. I liked them, i opted for vegetarian meal, was served prior to regular food. Not bad, no complaints here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read that in 2015 Eva is hoping to expand into Houston and/or Chicago.

IAH-TPE-BKK in Elite economy would be the perfect flight for me.

Hope it works out to be Houston.

Archived