IGNORED

EVA Air LAX/BKK Any one give them a try

Paddy Od

Looking at fares Oct/Nov and EVA seems to have the best deal going right now.  $951 round trip.  And according to Seatguru.com they have close to the widest economy seats at 18.3" (46.5 cm).  I was really surprised to see that China Air has 17" wide economy seats.  With my large frame, that i.3" means a lot.

They also have the lowest Premium Economy fare too, double the economy fare, around $1,900.  Hard to justify though, thats equal to a week on the ground.

Flight times are good too, morning arrival in BKK.

So if anyone has any experience with them on this route or any other, a comment or two would appreciated.

Thx

I've only flown them in Elite/Deluxe & Biz. I hope you have drugs. IIWY, I'd chow down before the flights too. The food in Elite & Econ is awful.

If you're just looking for a cheap ticket, check Asiana. They're showing sub-$900 LAX-BKK for a while now depending on the dates. Google Flights shows quite a few dates at $841. 

As for EVA, they're fine. The planes seem a bit worn, and the AVOD is a bit sparse compared to some other airlines. But overall the service is ok. They beat the mainland Chinese airlines in any case.

I've flown them many times to Europe in economy class. There are average, not bad at all.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I'd forgotten about Asiana.

Price is always a factor, but comfort comes a close second.

I flew on the LAX/BKK/LAX a while back.  No issues at all, airline food is airline food, price was right.

Flew EVA roundtrip LAX/BKK in June...as mentioned above the food isn't very good and the AVOD has limited selections but overall the service was good. I would fly them again if the prices and layovers are good.

Asiana is very nice but frequently there are very long layovers at Incheon coming back to the states. Coming back from Cambodia a few years ago they offered passengers a day tour (no charge) of Seoul which also included a nice lunch at a Korean BBQ.

Read the thread on China Southern here on the travel forum. Their price is usually about the cheapest and you can't beat their departure and arrival times outbound and inbound....able to take Bell bus to and from Patts. They use an A380 between LAX and CAN and if you can get an economy seat on the upper deck it's actually pretty decent. I flew with them in Feb and would not rule them out for future trips. 

The LAX-BKK  EVA flight has been my regular flight ever since THAI dropped their non stop from LAX. I use the Premium Economy option. The big plus I like about the EVA flight is the Arrival Departure times and the relatively short layovers in Taipei.

If you're flying economy every extra inch or two you can get in your seat is precious, especially if you're a big guy. Well worth paying extra for rather than going for the cheapest option.

Flown with them many times in Europe in all there classes, cant really fault them the food was ok for airline food, the Asian options are nicer then the European.  Reasonable seats in economy up there with the best economy seats for space and comfort i have been in.  Do check on something like seat guru though when booking your seats if you use them.  on some of the flights i have been on the box for the avod can be under the seat in front of you seat's k i think and it reduces your leg room (this is on the 777's)

• 2 weeks later...

The LAX-BKK  EVA flight has been my regular flight ever since THAI dropped their non stop from LAX. I use the Premium Economy option. The big plus I like about the EVA flight is the Arrival Departure times and the relatively short layovers in Taipei.

If you're flying economy every extra inch or two you can get in your seat is precious, especially if you're a big guy. Well worth paying extra for rather than going for the cheapest option.

I used to love the Premium Economy on the LAX-BKK non-stop.

Been just doing the IAH-NRT-BKK since it's demise.

Going to try Eva Premium In October, how does the seat compare to Thai's Premium?

Thanks.

Problem is with EVA flights from LAX, they always arrive around midnight so your checking in around 3 pm in Pattaya.

Problem is with EVA flights from LAX, they always arrive around midnight so your checking in around 3 pm in Pattaya.

My Eva flight arrives in BKK right before noon and departs right after noon.

Beats the hell out of the 11:30pm arrival and 6am departure on United.

They now have 21 flights a week LAX - TPE

Like wackyjacky, I have only flown them in business class (Royal Laurel or whatever they call it).  Their business class product is top notch, but that doesn't mean squat to your inquiry.

Frankie9 - are you on the mid-afternoon flight out of LAX?  

My flight in November was scheduled to leave LAX around 11 p.m. and arrive in BKK around noon (2 days later).  To me, that is pretty perfect timing -- don't miss any work the day I leave; get into Pattaya at a great time.

As I recall, EVA also has a return flight that leaves BKK around 5:30 p.m., connects in Taipei and gets back to LAX at a reasonable hour (like 5 or 6 p.m., same day) -- that's the one I have taken in the past.  

EVA out of LAX actually have very good time.  Not sure which airport you are flying out of.

Flight.jpg

These are what's available.  I usually take the BR15 or BR1 out of LAX.

So the flight would leave around 1 am (no need to take extra day off work).

Arrive BKK around 11:15 am.  Grab the noon Bell Bus.  Check in hotel by 2:30 pm.  Just in time to get some stuff taken care and then ready for the night's action.

EVA out of LAX actually have very good time.  Not sure which airport you are flying out of.

attachicon.gifFlight.jpg

These are what's available.  I usually take the BR15 or BR1 out of LAX.

So the flight would leave around 1 am (no need to take extra day off work).

Arrive BKK around 11:15 am.  Grab the noon Bell Bus.  Check in hotel by 2:30 pm.  Just in time to get some stuff taken care and then ready for the night's action.

This is odd -- I am on BR15 in November, but it is showing on the email I received as leaving at 10:45 p.m., arriving TPE at 5:30 a.m.  

(I am connecting to Macau to see some friends for a few days, then heading to BKK)

EDIT - I searched their website on the day that I am flying.  BR15 leaves at 11:30 p.m.; BR1 leaves at 11:05 p.m. -- I think I better call EVA, because I have NO freakin' idea what flight I am on!  555555

Luckily both arrive in PLENTY of time for my connecting flight into Macau (leaves around 9 a.m.)

EDIT, PART DEAUX:

Thanks for the heads up, CC -- the email from United was wrong.  I leave at 11:30 p.m. on BR15 -- schedule is just as you posted.

Only puzzling thing for me is that it would NOT let me select my seat from TPE-Macau....I found that odd....

This is odd -- I am on BR15 in November, but it is showing on the email I received as leaving at 10:45 p.m., arriving TPE at 5:30 a.m.  

(I am connecting to Macau to see some friends for a few days, then heading to BKK)

ha ha ha close enough :-)  I am sure yours is more updated.  The day to day operation sometimes changes.

Flown with Eva from Heathrow to Bangkok a few times. IMHO they are up there with the good airlines. I would fly with them again

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

Always fly EVA from LAX to BKK since Thai airline stopped there direct flights.  I get the 11:30pm out of LAX, a 2 1/2 hour stopover in Taipie, and arrive in BKK around 11am the next day.  .I use them because they have one of the fastest trip times, and they have the "super economy" (they call it laurel) with the larger seats for a reasonable price.  I paid $1,900 last trip. 

Always fly EVA from LAX to BKK since Thai airline stopped there direct flights.  I get the 11:30pm out of LAX, a 2 1/2 hour stopover in Taipie, and arrive in BKK around 11am the next day.  .I use them because they have one of the fastest trip times, and they have the "super economy" (they call it laurel) with the larger seats for a reasonable price.  I paid $1,900 last trip. 

Yup & nope. Laurel is Business. Elite-Deluxe is the Premium Economy & like you I think it's worth the extra tariff.

I take Eva's late flight out of SFO(mirrors the LAX & SEA-TAC flights) which gets me on the  connecting flight out TPE to BKK.  Arrives in BKK before noon &  in Pattaya between 2-2:30. The return trip leaves BKK late afternoon and gets me back to SFO around 6:30pm.

Really like the mid afternoon arrival in Pattaya. And the the late afternoon departures.

Only complaint would be the layover in TPE on the 1st flight. It's about 3- 3.5 hrs. The return trip the layover is 1-2 hrs.

I've only flown them in Elite/Deluxe & Biz. I hope you have drugs. IIWY, I'd chow down before the flights too. The food in Elite & Econ is awful.

Spot on regarding the food. I even "booked the cook" in Royal Laurel and still found some of the food to be questionable. Hard product is great though, as well as the service, so overall a good airline. Definitely fill up before.

dom perignon in laurel....  that's a nice touch...  used points and flew sfo/bkk.  had 8 hour layover in Taipei, all night, which sucked...  but the laurel class was sweet...

Archived