IGNORED

Report: "Retirement Visa" Extension Experience at Jomtien Immigration - 7 August

G Baht

Whether you're doing an extension or a conversion, follow the simple step-by-step guidelines on the Pattaya Expats Club website.  There's absolutely no reason to use an agent.

My reason is I loathe and detest dealing with bureaucrats, here or anywhere.

Instead of making 2 or 3 trips to Jomtien and sitting around waiting, and being told to go copy this and copy that, I sit around the pool with a cold beer and pay someone else to do it for me...way to go!  :Think1:

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Sorry, yes 1,000 Baht for one re-entry visa.  My last renewal took me 10 minutes.  I had all of my paper work ready to go. No problem.

Daylight was something God made so that life was not one endless party.

Nutosf

My reason is I loathe and detest dealing with bureaucrats, here or anywhere.

Instead of making 2 or 3 trips to Jomtien and sitting around waiting, and being told to go copy this and copy that, I sit around the pool with a cold beer and pay someone else to do it for me...way to go!  :Think1:

Fair enough ... as above, the rest of us are in and out while you're still pissing around down at Key Visa, or wherever.  Way to go ...   :Think1:

So what's the difference between a Retirement Visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement)? Is a Retirement Visa better? And if so how does one go about getting it?

The retirement visa allows you to enter Thailand and grants 90 days of legal stay in Thailand. An extension extends the time the visa holder is allowed to stay in Thailand. The extension for retirement is a 1 calendar year extension.

So in the eyes of Thai immigration is a retirement visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement) the same thing?

it is sort of a distinction without a without much difference.

The confusion comes when people use the terms interchangeably and inaccurately. Like when people use the term tourist visa for the 30 day visa exempt entry they get at the airport. It's not really a visa, but it does the same thing, allows you into the country legally.

The retirement visa allows you to enter Thailand and grants 90 days of legal stay in Thailand. An extension extends the time the visa holder is allowed to stay in Thailand. The extension for retirement is a 1 calendar year extension.

it is sort of a distinction without a without much difference.

The confusion comes when people use the terms interchangeably and inaccurately. Like when people use the term tourist visa for the 30 day visa exempt entry they get at the airport. It's not really a visa, but it does the same thing, allows you into the country legally.

OK, got it, so everybody entering LOS with a retirement visa will be on an extension after 90 days. We're all the same then, we're all on extensions.

DISCLAIMER: Your experience may differ

.. income affidavit letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok ..

.. good stuff G Baht, thanks .. updating the process here is always valuable, since the Thai buracracy seems fickle and ever changing.

.. I've previously used a seasoned local bank account balance as evidence of financial support, but will consider retirement income this year.

.. what do I need to provide the US Embassy to secure an income affidavit letter? .. what is the cost? .. how long does it take?

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

.. good stuff G Baht, thanks .. updating the process here is always valuable, since the Thai buracracy seems fickle and ever changing.

.. I've previously used a seasoned local bank account balance as evidence of financial support, but will consider retirement income this year.

.. what do I need to provide the US Embassy to secure an income affidavit letter? .. what is the cost? .. how long does it take?

The income affidavit costs US$50.  I went to one of the consular outreach visits that the American Citizen Services Unit conducts in Pattaya...they do these outreach visits to Pattaya four times a year and it can save you a trip to Bangkok.  The outreach visit team normally sets up in the Dusit Thani hotel in North Pattaya (next to the Dolphin roundabout) and provides services from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, although I'm told they will stay as long as necessary to help everyone that is present.   All you have to do is show up (no appointment necessary), fill out the form (also available on their website), show them your passport, pay the fee and then take an oath that your income is accurate before the officer notarizes it...they do not require any supporting documentation to verify your income.  I know this sounds hokie, but Thai Immigration is aware that this is how the US Embassy does business and the Immigration Offices will accept an affidavit from the US Embassy as long as it's not more than 6 months old.  While this process takes literally less than one minute, the challenge is having to wait in the queue at the Dusit Thani  to get it done.  The day I went there were about 150 people ahead of me in line, and I showed up at 0930. The good news is that the queue moved pretty fast.   If you choose to get the income affidavit at the US Embassy, you'll have to schedule an appointment.

So in the eyes of Thai immigration is a retirement visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement) the same thing?

No.

A Retirement Visa is a stand alone Visa from home as is One Year Multi Nom Imm.O Visa.

An Extension of Stay (Retirement) is an extension of whatever O Visa you had before......but just to confuse you agents and Jomtien reger to it as a Retirement Visa.

Today  Sunday Aug 10

I have heard that Mon Aug 11 and Tue Aug 12 are Thai Holidays this year due to the Queen;s birthday being Aug 12.

Are all Thai banks and immigration (Jomtien) going to be closed Mon and Tue.

My 90 Day Report is due Aug 13.  My 1 Year Retirement Visa Extension is due to expire Sept 1st.

Hoping to do both the same day but prefer to avoid a crowd caused by holiday.

No.

A Retirement Visa is a stand alone Visa from home as is One Year Multi Nom Imm.O Visa.

An Extension of Stay (Retirement) is an extension of whatever O Visa you had before......but just to confuse you agents and Jomtien reger to it as a Retirement Visa.

So a guy comes to Patts with a retirement visa from home and after 90 days he has to go to Jomtien to make an Extension of Stay (Retirement), so from then on he's in LOS on exact same stamp/visa/situation as all the other guys who are on Extension of Stay (Retirement) regardless of what type of visa they initially had?

No.

A Ret Visa is for one year with 90 day reporting.

As that expires he can apply for an extension and then hes the same.

No.

A Ret Visa is for one year with 90 day reporting.

As that expires he can apply for an extension and then hes the same.

OK that's what I need to know, we're all the same, I didn't want to hear that some guys are on "real" retirement visas and I'm on some mickey mouse extension.

OK that's what I need to know, we're all the same, I didn't want to hear that some guys are on "real" retirement visas and I'm on some mickey mouse extension.

OK ..give Darren my regards 555

Today  Sunday Aug 10

I have heard that Mon Aug 11 and Tue Aug 12 are Thai Holidays this year due to the Queen;s birthday being Aug 12.

Are all Thai banks and immigration (Jomtien) going to be closed Mon and Tue.

My 90 Day Report is due Aug 13.  My 1 Year Retirement Visa Extension is due to expire Sept 1st.

Hoping to do both the same day but prefer to avoid a crowd caused by holiday.

Jomtien Immigration is closed on 11 and 12 August

went to renew my retirement visa last friday,no problems.been doing this for six years, 1900 bht

went to renew my retirement visa last friday,no problems.been doing this for six years, 1900 bht

What documentation do they need? thanks.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Step-by-step instructions are downloadable from the Pattaya Expats Club website.

Looks comprehensive.  I'll read it when I'm sober!  many thanks.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

So a guy comes to Patts with a retirement visa from home and after 90 days he has to go to Jomtien to make an Extension of Stay (Retirement), so from then on he's in LOS on exact same stamp/visa/situation as all the other guys who are on Extension of Stay (Retirement) regardless of what type of visa they initially had?

Close but not quite accurate. The Visa you're referring to is a Non-OA not Non-O

A one year extension of stay does not extend the visa, it just extends your permission to stay.

Visas do not get extended. An extension is for your permission to stay. I have done six annual extensions (for retirement) but my last visa expired six years ago.

There is not actually any visa that is called a retirement (or marriage visa). They are all Non-Immigrant Category "O" visas and marriage or retirement is the basis they will grant you one. Although, when people use the terms Retirement Visa or Marriage they are usually referring to the one year extension of stay, not to a visa.

The Non-Immigrant Category "OA" (available in your home country) is a little different. It is a Non-O visa and one year extension of stay combined. The "A" in "OA" stands for approved referring to the one year extension. A Non-OA visa, if used properly can be used for almost a two year stay if you exit and return a few days before the visa expires. When you do that the visa still expires but you would have been granted a one year permission to stay stamp and will need to get a re-entry permit if you leave the country after the expiration date of the visa.

I know it sounds like nitpicking and it doesn't really matter if everyone knows what you're talking about, but sometimes if someone wants advice and uses the wrong terms they might not get the correct advice.

Same with calling a visa exempt entry a Tourist Visa or a Visa on Arrival (VOA), Thailand does have a VOA available for some nationalities (ex India) but it doesn't apply to US, UK, OZ etc. The stay granted is less than 30 days so you wouldn't want one anyway.

Visas are permission to enter the country.

Extensions are to extend your stay after you are already in the country.

And 90 Day reporting has nothing to do with visas at all. Reporting your address is required if you have a permission to stay (of whatever type) and actually stay 90 days or longer. If you leave the country at any time you stop counting days for the 90 day reporting and start again when you re-enter the country. If someone is here on a one year extension of stay and goes to Laos every 60 days for some reason he would never need to do a 90 day report.

When going from 30 day visa exempt entry to an O Visa, it says you need an original letter from your embassy for the income verification. Then getting the 12 month extension for retirement also says you need to use an original letter from your embassy for the income verification. So, when going to the embassy (after making an appointment) am I to believe I will need to pay for 2 of these letters? $50 each?

a copy of your passport. visa, departure card. a copy of where you stay, a copy of your bank statement the page showing your name and the page showing the amount, i took two photos with me and they gave me  one back. good luck.

When going from 30 day visa exempt entry to an O Visa, it says you need an original letter from your embassy for the income verification. Then getting the 12 month extension for retirement also says you need to use an original letter from your embassy for the income verification. So, when going to the embassy (after making an appointment) am I to believe I will need to pay for 2 of these letters? $50 each?

That sounds right. After that you will only need one letter per year. 

It might depend on which immigration office you go to. One copy should be enough in Pattaya.

In Pattaya, when I did mine, I started with a Tourist Visa and Immigration did the Non-O and the one year extension at the same time. Now that was a few years ago but I recently was told by someone that they did the same thing all on the same day recently. Actually it was apply on one day and pick it up the next. Issuing the Non-O is really just a technicality because their rules require it for the extension. You don't even get to use it as they put it in and stamp it used at the same time.

I've read that at other offices they issue the Non-O and then want you to come back in the last 30 days or so to do the one year extension.

Archived