IGNORED

Report: "Retirement Visa" Extension Experience at Jomtien Immigration - 7 August

G Baht

DISCLAIMER:  Your experience may differ

For some of the old hands, nothing here will be new to you.  This thread is intended for those "newbies" that are getting ready for their initial renewal of their extension of stay and I thought they might benefit from my experience in light of the recent changes/enforcement of immigration policies.

My current "retirement visa"/Non-Immigration O-A visa (obtained in the US) expires on 6 September 2014.  I went to the Jomtien Immigration Office on 7 August to apply for a long stay (one year) extension for the purpose of retirement.  I arrived at 0814 and was issued #605 at the counter.  I took a seat next to desk #6 and noticed there were only two people ahead of me in the queue;  I only had to wait a couple of minutes before my number was called.  I provided the female officer at desk #6 with the TM7 (printed on both sides of the paper), original passport, copies of relevant passport pages (with my signature on the bottom of each page), passport sized photo (signed on the back), copy of my departure card (also signed), income affidavit letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok and 1900 baht for the application fee.   Although not consistently required based on feedback gathered from other Thailand-related forums, I was asked for proof of residence and provided the officer with a copy of my 3BB internet bill/statement, which sufficed.  The officer also asked me to sign a form titled “Acknowledgement of the conditions for permitted continuation of stay in the Kingdom of Thailand” that is available for download on the Immigration Bureau website (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download).  I was at the desk for no more than 30 seconds and was told to come back the following morning to pick up my passport.  At that time I will also apply for a multiple re-entry permit (TM8, original passport, copies of relevant passport pages, passport sized photo and 3800 baht fee), which will be valid for the same period of time as my new extension of stay (both the extension and re-entry permit will expire on the date of the new extension stamp in my passport...6 September 2015).  If you are residing in Thailand on a long stay extension you need to obtain a re-entry permit if you plan to leave Thailand and want to keep your extension of stay valid. Departing Thailand without a re-entry permit cancels any existing extensions of stay.

All in all I found it to be a very painless process despite some of the horror stories I had read about.  It goes without saying that the key is to ensure you have all the proper paperwork completed and copies of the necessary documents with you before arriving at the immigration office.  There's a lot of good info out there to help you prepare your application package.  I found the Pattaya City Expats Club website to be very informative and accurate.

Thanks much for posting. I plan on applying for the extension for the first time when I arrive in December. I will be entering on a 30-day visa exempt entry tho, so will need to get the O Visa first, then add the extension based on retirement as well. Not sure if Jomtien immigrations will do both the same day or not.

Thanks much for posting. I plan on applying for the extension for the first time when I arrive in December. I will be entering on a 30-day visa exempt entry tho, so will need to get the O Visa first, then add the extension based on retirement as well. Not sure if Jomtien immigrations will do both the same day or not.

Is there a reason why you can't get a One Year Non Imm O Visa before you come - so much easier, cheaper (DIY) and gives you loads of time?

Yes there is a process to get from Visa Waiver to Extension of Stay (Retirement), but with the current tightening up generally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Thanks to the OP for making the post about the extension of stay. I need to do it myself in a couple of months. There were some rumors going around that you needed to get the owner of your residence to sign a form that proves that you live where you say you do, but it sounds like, from your report, that they are not requiring that at Jomtien immigration, thankfully.

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

Thanks for the excellent detailed report.  Very clear and concise.  I need to do the same in two weeks.

DISCLAIMER:  Your experience may differ

..................................................................... passport sized photo (signed on the back), ..................................................

A minor detail, but this week, as before, they asked for 2 photos  - no problem for me as I have lots, but I suggest nobody should turn up with only one.

Additional info about a Non-Immigrant OA Visa:

You can exit the country any time up until it's expiration date and get an additional one year permitted to stay stamp.

i.e. If it expires on the 20th of xx month you would get an additional 1 year stay by making a border run on the 19th.

They are only issued as multiple-entry so no re-entry permit is needed.

Just at the right time and thanks , money will be seasoned by the 18th Aug. so it seems all will be OK at Jontiem for me as well .

I think an exit permit is 900 Baht.  If plan on leaving more that 4 time get the multi reentry permit, otherwise just get a single before you leave the country.  You need to get before you leave, if you do not it will in-validate your retirement visa.  Been there - done that.

Daylight was something God made so that life was not one endless party.

Nutosf

at Pro Language Pattaya  - the school where I am in a Visa Thai language class, they told us that as of Aug something (forget the date) the laws changed regarding renewing the education visa after having it a year... before you didn't have to leave the country - guess you could do it in JomTien... now you have to leave the country... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

Thanks for the info man. 

I have a question I have not been able to find an answer to. I am currently here on a ED visa, and assuming nothing more changes between then and now, I'll be still on an ED visa next year when I turn 50. 

What I want to do, once I am 50, is switch over to a retirement visa. I have heard two versions of how this would work.

One version is that the ED vis is already a non-immigrant visa so all I would need to do would be to apply for an extension based on retirement. Cheap and EZPZ.

Second version is that the ED vise, while it is a non-immigrant visa, is the wrong kind of non-immigrant visa to get an extension based on retirement on. Therefore I would need to either convert my ED visa to the right non-immigrant visa in country, or leave the country and apply for the correct non-immigrant visa. 

Anyone have some solid info on this? Or point me in the right direction for some reading up? 

at Pro Language Pattaya  - the school where I am in a Visa Thai language class, they told us that as of Aug something (forget the date) the laws changed regarding renewing the education visa after having it a year... before you didn't have to leave the country - guess you could do it in JomTien... now you have to leave the country... 

Yes, this is true. See discussion of ED visa in this thread.

Thanks for the info man. 

I have a question I have not been able to find an answer to. I am currently here on a ED visa, and assuming nothing more changes between then and now, I'll be still on an ED visa next year when I turn 50. 

What I want to do, once I am 50, is switch over to a retirement visa. I have heard two versions of how this would work.

One version is that the ED vis is already a non-immigrant visa so all I would need to do would be to apply for an extension based on retirement. Cheap and EZPZ.

Second version is that the ED vise, while it is a non-immigrant visa, is the wrong kind of non-immigrant visa to get an extension based on retirement on. Therefore I would need to either convert my ED visa to the right non-immigrant visa in country, or leave the country and apply for the correct non-immigrant visa. 

Anyone have some solid info on this? Or point me in the right direction for some reading up? 

Go talk to our man Darren at Key Visa. He's done my retirement/re-entry for the past 3 years. It costs me a bit extra but I'm delighted with the fast easy professional service. No way would I deal personally with Thai Immigration when I can pay a bit extra and have a pro do it on my behalf.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Thanks for info :)

Nuts what do I need for the exit permit and also will I need 2...

I am going back to Aus for a week get back to bkk then fly out next day for Cambodia

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thanks for info :)

Nuts what do I need for the exit permit and also will I need 2...

I am going back to Aus for a week get back to bkk then fly out next day for Cambodia

There is a multiple re-entry permit that you can get that allows unlimited trips in and out. Cost about 3800 IIRC.

There is a multiple re-entry permit that you can get that allows unlimited trips in and out. Cost about 3800 IIRC.

Multi re-entry is the way to go. Takes 1 page, if you go in & out often paying for a single re-entry will end up costing more and using up more pages.

Is there a reason why you can't get a One Year Non Imm O Visa before you come - so much easier, cheaper (DIY) and gives you loads of time?

Yes there is a process to get from Visa Waiver to Extension of Stay (Retirement), but with the current tightening up generally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Yeah because I do not like dealing with the Thai Embassy here in Manila where I am currently retired.

So what's the difference between a Retirement Visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement)? Is a Retirement Visa better? And if so how does one go about getting it?

Go talk to our man Darren at Key Visa. He's done my retirement/re-entry for the past 3 years. It costs me a bit extra but I'm delighted with the fast easy professional service. No way would I deal personally with Thai Immigration when I can pay a bit extra and have a pro do it on my behalf.

Whether you're doing an extension or a conversion, follow the simple step-by-step guidelines on the Pattaya Expats Club website.  There's absolutely no reason to use an agent.

So what's the difference between a Retirement Visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement)? Is a Retirement Visa better? And if so how does one go about getting it?

Wasnt suggesting a Ret Visa from home - too much hassle.

Im talking about over 50s can get the One Year ME Non Imm O.

I only leave the country one or twice a year.  I get a single re-entry visa each time, 900 Baht.  If I was leaving move often I would get a multiple re-entry visa.  3,800 Baht.  If you get a single re-entry visa you must go to immigration each time you before you leave.  This could be a hassle for some, so just getting a multiple re-entry is easier.  The above is based on have a retirement visa.

Daylight was something God made so that life was not one endless party.

Nutosf

As has previously been posted, they can't in the UK - it was done away with last year.  Over 50s is now O-A, in receipt of a state retirement pension for an O.  From the the Thai Embassy, London's website ...

visa.jpg

I only leave the country one or twice a year.  I get a single re-entry visa each time, 900 Baht.  If I was leaving move often I would get a multiple re-entry visa.  3,800 Baht.  If you get a single re-entry visa you must go to immigration each time you before you leave.  This could be a hassle for some, so just getting a multiple re-entry is easier.  The above is based on have a retirement visa.

Right, it all depends on how often one travels out. I make frequent trips to the surrounding countries, last 12 months made 5 trips out of LOS, so the multi is the way to go for me.

So in the eyes of Thai immigration is a retirement visa and Extension of Stay (Retirement) the same thing?

I only leave the country one or twice a year.  I get a single re-entry visa each time, 900 Baht.  If I was leaving move often I would get a multiple re-entry visa.  3,800 Baht. 

Single-entry is 1k Baht, multi-entry 3.8k Baht.  From the TM.8 application form ...

Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 11.11.26.png

Archived