Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

My First Time in Business Class Ruined Plane Travel For Me — Forever

QuotaMan

I call photoshop on the Emirates lounge.  Why?  because people are talking to each other instead of having their noses glued to some electronic device  :GoldenSmile1:

Actually, what a concept.  Meet people and socialize.

Absolutely brilliant it is too. Great staff and there are such a wonderful array of snacks in the bar area you could forgo the meal service and spend the whole flight in the bar. Follow that with a few gargles in the A380 business lounge in Dubai and you are ready to make up the bed before the fasten seat belt signs are off and sleep all the way to Swampy. Seat 23 A or K, best seat, apart from some first class, on any airline, IMHO.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely brilliant it is too. Great staff and there are such a wonderful array of snacks in the bar area you could forgo the meal service and spend the whole flight in the bar. Follow that with a few gargles in the A380 business lounge in Dubai and you are ready to make up the bed before the fasten seat belt signs are off and sleep all the way to Swampy. Seat 23 A or K, best seat, apart from some first class, on any airline, IMHO.

That looks like a good time at 30k feet. I've always been curious though how Emirates handles turbulence with the bar, all the drinks and snacks, and the people just standing about boozing it up. 

That looks like a good time at 30k feet. I've always been curious though how Emirates handles turbulence with the bar, all the drinks and snacks, and the people just standing about boozing it up. 

Believe I heard turbulence is worst in cattle class but what the cute attendent will do is simply  strap you gently to the bar stool and ensure your glass is only half full.....all the time :hello09:

The curved bench seating around the bar area has seat belts so the first sign of turbulence one orders another double G&T and strap oneself in.

The curved bench seating around the bar area has seat belts so the first sign of turbulence one orders another double G&T and strap oneself in.

I'll take mine in a sippy cup.

There isn't any in Biz and First. The plane automatically pushes the turbulence to economy :GoldenSmile1:

Some of those 1st class flights look fantastic.  But I fly from the west coast of the US and yes, I have some money and don't want to sit with the unwashed masses (acutally, don't want a small freeking seat), but I'm unwilling to pay the $6K and up for FC on the higher end airlines like Singapore etc.  

EVAs Royal Laurel with lie flat seats at $3600 RT between BKK and LAX works for me.  So no bar and gin tonics sadly.  Maybe someday.  I can dream  :hello09:

EVA does have the G&T's. They just leave out the "&" part and call them "gin tonic".

Damn nice business class. They don't offer a first class, so they treat business as their top end. Food is a little hit/miss, but everything else top notch.

Thai air business class BKK to CDG on the new A380 is pretty good too, aim for a window seat and it's almost like a private cubicle

I'm a big fan of EVA biz class.  Flying them again in November on the way to Asia (LAX-TPE-Macau)

My return is Cathay biz class, so maybe I can bribe a flight attendant to smuggle me an egg tart!  555555

BTW, what 's the shortest layover time you have done in HKG?  

I only have an hour and five minutes, but assume I will be fine (especially since I am on Cathay from BKK, connecting to another Cathay flight out of HKG).  My only concern is that I am on the last flight out for the night from HKG-LAX.  I could easily move to an earlier flight from BKK-HKG to be safe (leaving me about 3 hours in the HKG lounges), but leaving Pattaya at around 3 p.m. sounds better than leaving at around noon!  

Any thoughts?

If those flights are on the same ticket, no problem. If they actually sell you the ticket with a that short a layover, it's the airline's responsibility to make sure you get on that second flight.

The only thing that can be slightly worrisome is luggage, of course. But since you're homeward bound it's not such a bit deal if it gets delayed a bit.

On the other hand, Cathay lounges are supposed to be really good in HKG, I don't think it would be a terrible hardship to spend a couple of hours in them. And isn't your hotel checkout at noon anyway?

I flew a lot at one time as I worked in the Middle East and had at least 3 holidays a year in Thailand, with brief trips home in-between.

I got up to the highest level on KLM's frequent flyer programme and was upgraded to Business four times in a row. The next time I flew I wasn't upgraded and it felt bloody awful going back to Economy! I started booking in Business from then on, so I guess KLM benefitted from the upgrades they gave me.

So the first shot was free, and that's all it took to get you hooked :-)

I was lucky enough to fly 1st with Emirates London-Dubai-Bangkok-Sydney-Auckland return, 52 hours total flying time, all in one of their private cabins. Ala Carte dining was superb, just order whenever and as many times as you like. Drinks selection was likewise outstanding, none of this scummy Moet, only Dom and Blue Label baby  :GoldenSmile1:

And being able to use the onboard shower was excellent. Loved the whole trip, turned the travel part from something to be endured in Econ to a highlight of the journey.

However, saying all that, the uplift in price was not, IMHO, justified by the uplift in experience versus Business. Emirates Business on the A380 is excellent. While not having closing doors like 1st, you are all but in your own private space at a serious discount from 1st.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that flying out of a non-London airport saves some serious coin. I looked at the same flights in May 2015 to BKK return with Emirates. From London £3200. From Dublin $1425. I'll defo be shopping around for my next trip

GeeMan

And being able to use the onboard shower was excellent. Loved the whole trip, turned the travel part from something to be endured in Econ to a highlight of the journey.

GeeMan

I'm VERY jealous!  I think it's incredible to be able to say "I grabbed a shower on the plane" -- seen photos and would love to do that one day!

I'm trying to find a date where I can spend my earned M&M miles on a First ticket with Lufthansa to BKK. In this case, though, the ground service in Frankfurt is what everyone's after.

Shower, bah! Once I've spent half a day smoking cigars and emptying a small tub of champagne in the FCT, I can totally survive being unshowered for 10 hours.

I'm VERY jealous! I think it's incredible to be able to say "I grabbed a shower on the plane" -- seen photos and would love to do that one day!

It is awesome, just a shame I had nobody to share it with me (now that would give you bragging rights [emoji12])

It is awesome, just a shame I had nobody to share it with me (now that would give you bragging rights [emoji12])

DUUUUUUUDE!  "Joined the 'Mile High club' in a shower on an A380" should be on EVERYONE'S bucket list!

• 1 month later...

Flew back a few weeks from BKK to HK on Emirates 1st. Absolutely amazing. The shower room was very spacious with underfloor heating (nice for when you get out of the shower). You get 5 minutes of water which is plenty. The downside is that I had to slum it in Virgin Upper from HK to LHR :)

Booking next trip for January LHR > BKK....pricey at £3000 but worth every penny.

Emirates have a sale on at the moment, UK airports to Bangkok first class rtn £3100 if you fancy a splurge.

On my trip home in April i was upgraded from Business to First on Etihad. Not the same as first on A380 but still very welcome. 

RS Me in FC.jpg

RSmouth clenser FC.jpg

RSsoup FC.jpg

RSstarter FC.jpg

RSsteak FC.jpg

RSSweet first class.jpg

RSWine FC.jpg

RSTV FC.jpg

I've got upgraded once on a Finn air flight.... yes i was happy with the surprise, no i didn't sleep better... NO WAY i would pay double or more just to get my airplane food served on a fancy plate! Maybe all the fuzz is about feeling yourself better than everyone else? i'm immune to that...

andy 027.jpg

andy 028.jpg

andy 029.jpg

I'm happy i got the opportunity to experience it once though.... Now i know i don't need that shit!

Only ever got upgraded once by EVA , it was great but for my circumstances and finances I still travel "cattle class" although now I pay more to go direct with Thai.normally costs me about £150 more but success rate of having 4 seats to "flat bed" has been great. I admit if money was not a concern for my 3-4 trips each year, I would fly BC every time but if money was not a concern I would not be "tripping" but living in LOS and tripping back to the UK. I am happy to make the best of what I can afford and my "sanity" trips to LOS, I bet not many think of their Pattaya trips as "sanity".

Archived