IGNORED

My First Time in Business Class Ruined Plane Travel For Me — Forever

QuotaMan

I don't spend money on alcohol or cigarettes or waste money on expensive possessions I don't need.

But I do travel business class.

Phil

This sums it up for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't spend money on alcohol or cigarettes or waste money on expensive possessions I don't need.

But I do travel business class.

Phil

This sums it up for me.

Looking forward to partying with you guys ....

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Out of my last 16 flights to and from Thailand 12 have been business class with Etihad ,its very hard to go back to economy after experiencing it.

Plus now Etihad and Emirates have business flights from Dublin to Bangkok for €1700 ,hard not to go for it at those prices.

I flew a lot at one time as I worked in the Middle East and had at least 3 holidays a year in Thailand, with brief trips home in-between.

I got up to the highest level on KLM's frequent flyer programme and was upgraded to Business four times in a row. The next time I flew I wasn't upgraded and it felt bloody awful going back to Economy! I started booking in Business from then on, so I guess KLM benefitted from the upgrades they gave me.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Heck, I understand biz class is a luxury.  And for some people it would mean fewer trips to Pattaya or less money to spend there.  it doesn't impact me that that way and as others have said I don't spend money on stuff I think others do that i find wasteful.  Like smoking or drinking heavily late at night regularly.

I recall posting a thread a long while ago that posed the question "would you use double the miles for business class or fly coach and get twice as many flights?"  Responses were about 50/50.

One key factors for me were in opting for business (sometimes first, if biz unavailable) was that I don't have the option of going that many times.  The other factor was that, because they typically go for at least three times the cost of a coach ticket (often more), I was getting much more "value" for my points.

Having made the trip multiple times, there is now NO question in my mind.

I recall posting a thread a long while ago that posed the question "would you use double the miles for business class or fly coach and get twice as many flights?"  Responses were about 50/50.

I remember when I used to fly Northwest before the Delta merger and three options were (1) free economy ticket for 60K miles (2) free business for 120K miles and (3) buy a reasonably-priced economy ticket and upgrade to business for 50K miles. I loved option (3) as it provided the most value in my opinion and you still earned miles on the paid flight, so the upgrade coming from the east coast was more like 30K miles.

One key factors for me were in opting for business (sometimes first, if biz unavailable) was that I don't have the option of going that many times.  The other factor was that, because they typically go for at least three times the cost of a coach ticket (often more), I was getting much more "value" for my points.

Having made the trip multiple times, there is now NO question in my mind.

Another consideration is age.  At 25 I could have flown coach and got off the plane feeling like a million bucks.  Heck, I ALWAYS felt like a million bucks at that age.  Now, I bet I'd spend the first week in massage and chiropractic care from flying coach.  Got to factor that in as well.   :GoldenSmile1:

I have travelled business class once with Emirates and although it was obviously far superior (and I absolutely loved it) I still cannot justify the dramatic increase in cost! ..... IMO the money saved is put to far better use on women and booze in Thailand than a little bit more luxury on a flight.

Even if I could afford it every time, I would still begrudge paying almost double for it. Not worth it in my mind 

Posted Image

Heck, I understand biz class is a luxury.  And for some people it would mean fewer trips to Pattaya or less money to spend there.  it doesn't impact me that that way and as others have said I don't spend money on stuff I think others do that i find wasteful.  Like smoking or drinking heavily late at night regularly.

I think for most people that are flying Biz/FC, I seriously doubt they are making a compromise on the amount of money they spend in Pattaya or the number of trips they take because they flew Biz/FC.

There's only so many girls you can physically fuck and so much money you can spend on drinks before you get alcohol Poison.

I would imagine for most of these mongers, they'll bring more money then they will spend and more likely then not they go home with more then 1/3 of their money unspent.

Last few trips have been on JAL 1st class, you gotta love those airline miles....Although my travel with work has decreased over the last year, still have enough for a few more trips, then back to business class!

Business only for any TATL or TPAC flight for me - basically any flight 6hrs or more or any red-eye requires a lie flat seat for me. I also enjoy the fast track through the airport, lounge access and less crowded arrangements onboard. The food and wine offerings have most definitely suffered over the last twenty years. But I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes of take off.

I fly about 150k base miles a year for my job and the miles come in handy; usually use those to acquire tickets for my kids for the couple of family vacations we take each year.

Business only for any TATL or TPAC flight for me - basically any flight 6hrs or more or any red-eye requires a lie flat seat for me. I also enjoy the fast track through the airport, lounge access and less crowded arrangements onboard. The food and wine offerings have most definitely suffered over the last twenty years. But I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes of take off.

I fly about 150k base miles a year for my job and the miles come in handy; usually use those to acquire tickets for my kids for the couple of family vacations we take each year.

The food isn't a factor for me either.  I'm usually asleep before they serve the "dinner" out of LAX at 1 AM.  It's the lie flat seat I'm paying for.

This is the curse if intercontinental travel . Business Class is addictive. When you get a family the frustrations get only worse.

I have been upgraded to 1st class for Business class 3 times with BA, from respectively Taipei, Tokyo and Bangkok. That was in the days when there was VHS and seats . turn into beds on 1st class only, The good news is that with the new seat configurations in business class  . cubicles with beds - you are really getting 1st class treatment in the old days. I dont know but I presume 1st class has moved on also

My last trip on BA Business Class BKK to LHR  on Boeing 777 there was no 1st class .

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Sure it can be considered a luxury, but for me there's no other way. If it's long haul and not business (or higher), I refuse to fly. Just can't do it anymore, I'd go completely nuts from the boredom and the sense of confinement.

I can barely manage intra-Europe flights of 4 hours, but that's my limit. And those are all economy class, regardless of what the airlines may try to tell you. If it has the same seat as economy, it is economy, in my book.

The only times I've flown something other than business to BKK in recent years is when I've gone with Thai. That being because they had an odd deal going where booking premium economy (at maybe 75% of the business price) would get you everything the same as business except slightly less choices of food and wine, and no fast track at BKK.

I feel your pain<G>  I was married for 15 years to a flight attendant for United.  She had enough seniority that I flew First Class all but two times in 15 years... Terrible to be stuck in cattle class now, but Can't afford the good stuff...

I feel your pain<G>  I was married for 15 years to a flight attendant for United.  She had enough seniority that I flew First Class all but two times in 15 years... Terrible to be stuck in cattle class now, but Can't afford the good stuff...

Wait!?  You didn't keep her around just for the FC seats?

Lufthansa business class is efficient but not particularly glamorous. They are currently upgrading equipment with new lie flat seats but the pics in OP doesn't look like they taken on a Lufthansa plane. The seat could be a first class seat on Emirates/Qatar and pic of the economy class seat in 2-3 config is rarely seen on a wide body these days

An example of extremely lazy journalism. The economy pic is certainly not taken inside a wide bodied jet and if you google image search the business class seat it has been used for many articles about lots of airlines both first and business class. Probably a complete made up story, IMHO.

Having said that business class long haul is quite addictive. 

I used to fly with Emirates and as a gold member i got upgraded many times. The best was the A380 very smooth plane with first and BC on the upper deck.  At the rear of the plane you have a small bar and lounge, a few beers in the bar and then back to your seat for a sleep. Magic!

Onboard lounge.jpg

bar in BC (RS).jpg

bar in BC (RS).jpg

kev BC bar RS.jpg

I call photoshop on the Emirates lounge.  Why?  because people are talking to each other instead of having their noses glued to some electronic device  :GoldenSmile1:

Actually, what a concept.  Meet people and socialize.

i must say, flying 1st class is ok.

but....... i have to say i slept much better in economy when i had the whole row to myself, lots of pillows and blankets, really.got comfortable.

i fly emirates too.

Lufthansa business class is efficient but not particularly glamorous. They are currently upgrading equipment with new lie flat seats but the pics in OP doesn't look like they taken on a Lufthansa plane. The seat could be a first class seat on Emirates/Qatar and pic of the economy class seat in 2-3 config is rarely seen on a wide body these days

I'm fairly sure that OP seat is a private jet seat, which ironically aren't as nice as some of the first class products out there today (just the seat, i'm talking about). Although, some private jets have separate bedrooms, so I suppose the seat doesn't need to be all that fancy.

Last few trips have been on JAL 1st class, you gotta love those airline miles....Although my travel with work has decreased over the last year, still have enough for a few more trips, then back to business class!

Back in my time working in Japan I had several upfrades to 1st class this is now 10 - 20 years ago and 1st class then seemed to have the functional comfort (recliner bed) which business has now. The difference was that the meals were served when the individual 1st class traveller wants them, not as set times.

What is your take on 1st class now over business class?

Back in my time working in Japan I had several upfrades to 1st class this is now 10 - 20 years ago and 1st class then seemed to have the functional comfort (recliner bed) which business has now. The difference was that the meals were served when the individual 1st class traveller wants them, not as set times.

Good timing.  There's a thread we were just discussing FC.

You can start with this post and move forward

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/152591-long-haul-business-class-for-under-2k-long-post/?p=2766719

Qatar do dining on demand in business. I tested this out on my last trip and ordered the cheese plate first as they had some highly rated single vintage thirty year old tawny port to go with it. God it was so good I had it three times with copious amounts of the lovely port before having the Arabic meze starter before floating off to sleep.

Archived