IGNORED

Bus Class from LHR. Reviews? First trip for decade!

davidge

So, there I was following my boring, little routine in my mundane life here in the UK, my forty-odd trips to Pattaya but a distant memory, when I happen to do a search for a Pattaya a few months who and find this forum.

Suddenly, I'm reading all about Pattaya again, hearing what everyone is up to, following discussions about what's going on, and I now MUST visit there again.

Decision made. It will have to be July 2015. I know, a long time away and I might drop dead before, but can't get away sooner. Checked my passport and realise that will be almost exactly 10 years since my last visit to Pattaya. Entry stamp 27 July 2005. Exit stamp 23 Aug 2005.

Fares are beginning to show up for next year, so I'm looking in earnest for flights as if I book one then it will make the trip seem more real rather than the distant dream it is now!

I can't fly in Economy. I'm a big bloke and have a fairly serious back condition so it's just not an option.

EVA Air Premium Economy is an option - it would give me more to spend in Pattaya - but I would rather fly Business Class if I can get a decent fare.

I can't fly from Cardiff as, even in Business Class, KLM use narrow seats with less legroom than in long-haul Economy. I can't cope with that even on a short flight. So it has to be Heathrow.

Obviously, I would prefer to fly direct but the fares always seem to be high. I don't want very long connection times or dubious airlines/countries so have ruled out EgyptAir, Biman, Jet, Air India, Aeroflot who all have cheaper Business Fares at times. I also think FinnAir use smaller 'European Seats' between London and Helsinki rather than proper Business Class seats so have ruled them out.

Apologies for the long (and boring :-) post, but finally my question:

If anyone has flown in Business from LHR to BKK and has any comments/recommendations on different airlines, then I would be very grateful.

I'm going to be looking at fares in earnest from now on and will book as soon as I see a good fare with a decent airline.

I'd be looking at around £900 for EVA Prem Econ, so would pay £1500 for a good Business Class seat like a shot, and even £1700 would be fine. I don't really want to go up to £2000 or more which seems to be the going rate for direct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I've flown business a few times with etihad and they are brilliant, I thinkthe fwres are around 1700-2000, I'm not too sure I've only used them when upgrading at airport or wheni ve been bumped up

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

You going to struggle at that price Matey I go Biz and Fares are 2k plus now

Eva is a great Airline not used for a bit but the earlier you book the better the fare least that is what I have found.

Is Birmingham not a option for you maybe if you a big fucker leap frog to dubai stay one night or stretcg legs then on to Bangers

7 hrs to Dubai in cattle on the Airbus maybe wont be so bad then under 6 Dubai Bangers leg.

Join FF program before you book ticket gives you a few more perks plus points

Ghosty

You going to struggle at that price Matey I go Biz and Fares are 2k plus now

Eva is a great Airline not used for a bit but the earlier you book the better the fare least that is what I have found.

Is Birmingham not a option for you maybe if you a big fucker leap frog to dubai stay one night or stretcg legs then on to Bangers

7 hrs to Dubai in cattle on the Airbus maybe wont be so bad then under 6 Dubai Bangers leg.

Join FF program before you book ticket gives you a few more perks plus points

Ghosty

I'm afraid even the hour and a half flight from Cardiff to Amsterdam is too much for me in Economy. My back is buggered :-)

As Cardiff is no longer an option, it really has to be LHR. Birmingham is too much extra hassle to get to, as is Gatwick, and travelling is bad enough for me now anyway.

I know I'm not likely to get EVA, BA or Thai for under £2000 (EVA showing around £2100 for next June/July at the moment) but I've been checking fares for this year and several airlines have been showing £1500-1700 from time to time. If I wanted 20 hours in Dhaka in each direction I could fly Business Class with Biman for under £1100 ;-)

I'm just hoping to get some feedback on the 'mid-level' airlines like Turkish, Malaysia, Jordanian, other Middle East, Austrian, Swiss etc who all seem to have lower fares at times.

I've got plenty of time to book, but want to be ready to go for it if I see a good fare with a decent airline.

Thanks for responding.

Only done Ethiad (from Manchester) and EVA from LHR to Bangkok, both are great and very comfortable, lie flat beds decent food and on the whole good service for me EVA won on food and comfort, Ethiad on service.  Last two trips were with Ethiad now gone back to EVA, what swung it for me is avoiding Abu Dhabi airport, the airline has to me increased its service to a level the airport cant cope with.  The lounges are too small and its difficult to get a seat, you also have to go through security at the gate again as well.  They are meant to be opening  a new terminal but that's a few years off, check out the free Limousine service they offer it wont get you from Cardiff but it might save you a bit if you are using the train over and don't want to be on the underground.  The eva business class seats can be a little claustrophobic and I have seen a quite large gentleman struggling to get in.

Lastly i wouldn't discount EVA Elite class (deluxe economy), its comfortable (not lay flat) decent food and above everything else direct, if you can get a decent price for that would go for it over an indirect cheap business class.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Etihad Chauffeur service. It would mean I could just get the train to Reading, or even Swindon, and not have the hassle of Paddington. I'll look out for decent fares with them.

I am thinking about EVA Premium Economy. As long as it gave enough room for my back to survive the journey, then it would save me a lot of cash. It nearly always seems to be available for just over £900, sometimes £850.

Done Thai, BA & Emirates, with the latter being via dubai

I found the cheapest way was to get a cheap flight to Barcelona then book Barcelona to LHR then onto BKK, when I did it in June it cost me £1600, if i just flew lhr to bkk it would have been £2600

Almost all of the difference was due to avoiding UK airport taxes

Thanks for the reply. I could often save almost £1000 just by getting a cheap KLM Economy ticket from Cardiff to Amsterdam then a Business Class flight from there. Trouble is, I couldn't even last the 90 mins or so that the flight lasts in the narrow seats with less leg room. Many of the European airlines use only 17" seats within Europe, even in Business Class, and give less legroom than on long haul.

I'd be better off just doing the EVA Premium Economy than trying to survive one of the European flights :-(

Thanks for the reply. I could often save almost £1000 just by getting a cheap KLM Economy ticket from Cardiff to Amsterdam then a Business Class flight from there. Trouble is, I couldn't even last the 90 mins or so that the flight lasts in the narrow seats with less leg room. Many of the European airlines use only 17" seats within Europe, even in Business Class, and give less legroom than on long haul.

I'd be better off just doing the EVA Premium Economy than trying to survive one of the European flights :-(

Never really checked but it always seemed to Lufthansa  business class seats within Europe have a decent size. You would need to get to HTR I understand, but maybe that is solvable within the 12 months you have to figure this out - maybe a nephew with a Vauxhall would take you there for some modest counter favour - not being flippand just thinking out loud, the Cardiff - UK airport logistics  is a separarte issue which maybe solvable if you find a particularly good deal via Frankfurt or Paris.

How is the back and moving from terminal to terminal on large Eu airports? You haven't mentioned so it seems that works OK.

Dont rule out flying via Singåpore for the long haul, you get Airbuss 380 with Air France and Lufthansa. 

I fly Bangkok - Singapore - Bangkok in my work some times, there are several low fare airlines and douzins of flights every day, Changi Airport in S'pore is decent and well laid out. You get S'pore -BKK return for 100£ and minimal waiting time. Do the maths - it might be a viable financial option.

If luggage transder is an issue you can travelhand  luggage - plenty of space for the largest allowable measures of a bag with  PC, slippers, Tshirts, boxers and a shirt. Toilletry you get with the bclass fare and some additional underwear you buy in Patts.

Thanks for the reply. I know I've got AGES to find something :-) but now I've decided to get back to Pattaya I plan on booking the flight as soon as I find a good fare.

Most airlines within Europe do the same 'trick' with the seating (Lufthansa included). I'll be ok transferring at an airport, but won't want to pick up luggage and check in again. I'll either have to bite the bullet and pay for direct or book a one- stop only connecting flight with a Middle East or Far East airline. I think the only vaguely European option is Turkish who do have proper seats on both flights.

I will be flying from Heathrow and will manage getting there and back - though all my nephews and nieces live in Australia!

I have flown 5 returns with BA Business Class from LHR direct to BKK .

Nice flat beds for sleeping and if you select a window seat then lots of privacy in a 'box'.

The Ladies tend to be 40+  but pleasant and efficient. My only complaint about the food is that they use lots of fancy names so i have no idea what most of the items are except for the English breakfast.

In May I paid £2400 in Baht in BA Office in BKK but that included return LHR to Aberdeen.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Thanks. If I decide to fork out for direct then BA has fully flat seats while EVA and Thai have 170 degree angle flat. BA have more legroom but EVA seats are 6 inches wider than the other two. All that assuming SeatGuru is accurate!

From what I've seen over the last couple of months, EVA tend to be slightly cheaper than BA while Thai appear to want to price themselves out of the market!

Thanks. If I decide to fork out for direct then BA has fully flat seats while EVA and Thai have 170 degree angle flat. BA have more legroom but EVA seats are 6 inches wider than the other two. All that assuming SeatGuru is accurate!

From what I've seen over the last couple of months, EVA tend to be slightly cheaper than BA while Thai appear to want to price themselves out of the market!

My investigations regarding Thai Airlines accross several European Airports confirms your view. It's been OK when I go for my work in SIngapore with stopover in LOS and my company is paying but will not pay privately for Thai Airlines when Turkish Airlines and FInn Air offer Business class for half the price.

With ref to the HTR logistics issue, there's got to be SOMEONE with a Vauxhall in Cardiff albeith not a nephew. I wouldn't expext the Luton factory to make themselves dependent on your family only, for their market penetration in the greate Cardiff area.

Likewise, Arsenal cannot rely on beating Cardiff only, to win Champion's league.

2nd side note: Is it in the cards to fly on to Australia visiting nephews and will that be business class? Then we are talking serious money here. I will actually be cheaper all around if they fly JetStar to Singapore and on to Bangkok, to see you, JetStar covers several destiations in Australia

Just so you know all the flights from LHR on EVA have been upgraded to Royal Laurel Class and are full flat bed, i think they still have some Premium Laurel (old style business class, with angled seats) but not on the 777 that serve the LHR to Bangkok route.  Check it out here http://www.evaair.com/en-global/flying-with-us/our-cabin-classes/royal-laurel-class/onboard/ bonus money back if you want, the RIMOWA overnight kits sell on EBAY for £60 plus (not sure why, i just give them as gifts)

Thanks. I find the various names EVA use for travel classes very confusing!

What you describe sounds very good :-)

So, there I was following my boring, little routine in my mundane life here in the UK, my forty-odd trips to Pattaya but a distant memory, when I happen to do a search for a Pattaya a few months who and find this forum.

Suddenly, I'm reading all about Pattaya again, hearing what everyone is up to, following discussions about what's going on, and I now MUST visit there again.

Decision made. It will have to be July 2015. I know, a long time away and I might drop dead before, but can't get away sooner. Checked my passport and realise that will be almost exactly 10 years since my last visit to Pattaya. Entry stamp 27 July 2005. Exit stamp 23 Aug 2005.

……………………………….

A bit off topic here. Make sure your passport is up to date or renewed before you leave. I don't know how long British passports are good for? It's 10 years for US passports and you usually need at least 6 months on yours to get into another country.

Otherwise good luck with the trip

Thanks. Yes, passport has expired. I'll get a new one next Spring. Think it's the best part of £90 here now!

Was thinking this morning how fares have changed in the 8 or 9 years since I last looked at BKK flights. Economy seems to be cheaper now than it was then whereas Business fares appear to have gone up by around 30%.

My regular route was from Cardiff via Amsterdam with KLM. I used to pay £700 or so for Economy. Sometimes more at Xmas, sometimes less if they had an offer. It's about the same now. I could always get Business for £1500. Sometimes £1100-1200. The norm now is £2200 and rarely seems to be much lower than that!

Very tempted by the offer EVA have on until the end of the month!

If I leave by 30 June next year then Business Class is available for £2050. Has to be booked by the end of August but only £75 to change date and £100 to cancel.

If anyone us looking for Business Class between now and next March then they're offering about £100 less than that on many dates.

The same offer has Economy for under £600. Not bad for direct!

Archived