IGNORED

Nikon Wireless Remote

Garzan

With my older, lower end Nikon D70, and P7000, using a wireless remote was simple and inexpensive. Just buy a $20 Nikon ML-L3 IR remote and your all set to take selfies or very long exposures without bumping the camera.

With my (still old) higher end Nikon D300s, things weren't so simple. An IR remote won't work, and the WR-10 set for wireless remote shutter release is in the $275 neighborhood. More than I'm willing to pay.

However, China has come to the rescue. Yongnuo makes a YN-622n Nikon specific i-TTL flash trigger that go for around $80 for a pair of them. Using a pair, one on the camera and one on a Nikon flash, you can still have all the benefits of i-TTL and get the flash off you camera for more creative lighting, and elimination of red eye.

Recently, Yongnuo came out with the YN-622n-TX, which is similar to the Nikon SU-800 flash controller, but for the YN-622n triggers. The cool (to me) added bonus to using the Yongnuo system for Nikon flashes is that you can easily control your remote flashes from the camera (you can also do this if you're using Nikon's CLS) but if you have an extra YN trigger, you can use it to trigger the shutter release on the camera.

So, for around $100, you can have a wireless RF remote shutter trigger, that is also a wireless RF remote flash trigger, or for $275 you can have a dedicated Nikon remote shutter trigger.

If you have a wired sync port on your Nikon body, and you'd like to play around with remote triggers, I think the Yongnuo is something to take a look at. I got one of the controllers, and four of the triggers and am quite happy with them. The CLS system is awesome, but it does have some limitations. Switching to RF got rid of the bright ambient light limitation, and gave me a remote shutter trigger as a bonus.

I had a look at these flashes and triggers before and they seem very good value . 

Specially compared to many of the absurd priced acc. from Nikon and Canon . 

With my (still old) higher end Nikon D300s, things weren't so simple. An IR remote won't work, and the WR-10 set for wireless remote shutter release is in the $275 neighborhood. More than I'm willing to pay.

Not that it makes much of a difference, but the WR-10 can be bought online for less than $200 now. Still ridiculously pricey considering I've built a similar functioning device from scratch for less than $30. They are extremely simple inside the plastic housing--very simple circuits.  

Agree. I was lazy and used the NikonUSA price. I'd never buy anything directly from Nikon.

One of the other things I like about the way I went is I hear a lot about how wonderful PocketWizards are. So far as I can see, the 622n does all that a PW does, and throws in iTTL. Plus, they cost less than PocketWizards. :-)

Agree. I was lazy and used the NikonUSA price. I'd never buy anything directly from Nikon.

One of the other things I like about the way I went is I hear a lot about how wonderful PocketWizards are. So far as I can see, the 622n does all that a PW does, and throws in iTTL. Plus, they cost less than PocketWizards. :-)

The price is very attractive. I'd definitely buy one over a PW, as I would never take advantage of the more advanced PW features that separate them from the pack. I have no problem with the Chinese stuff either, as long as the brand has a good rep. I have a Chinese D90 battery grip that has been going strong for the past 4 or 5 years (can't recall how old now).

Going back to your original post--the D70/80/90 IR triggers drive me absolutely nuts because of their sometimes finicky line of site requirement. I prefer a $10 wired trigger for long exposures. I used that over the IR trigger before I built a wireless trigger.

I've just bought a set of Yongnuo RF-603 ii for 1,200 baht, great for the price. I was thinking of the YN-622s but thought they could not act as a remote camera trigger, only flash trigger, maybe i'm wrong. A must have for any photographer.  Also add the Yongnuo flashes are great, i got the YN-500EX TTL for 3,850 baht, a third of the Canon price.

I've just bought a set of Yongnuo RF-603 ii for 1,200 baht, great for the price. I was thinking of the YN-622s but thought they could not act as a remote camera trigger, only flash trigger, maybe i'm wrong. A must have for any photographer.  Also add the Yongnuo flashes are great, i got the YN-500EX TTL for 3,850 baht, a third of the Canon price.

That's exactly how the YN-622n's behave by themselves. To get the remote shutter trigger, you have to pair them with a YN-622n-TX controller. Another advantage, if you'd gone the other way, is that the YN-622n-TX will let you program the other YN-622n's you have from its LCD screen. Much, much similar than trying to remember how many key presses does what on the YN-622n. :-)

(I'm referencing the Nikon version, since that's the only one I have direct experience with.)

I bought a wireless remote on eBay today for 46 baht with free shipping to Thailand.  This is only a shutter release, however.  I'll let you know if it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLL3-IR-Wireless-Remote-Control-for-Nikon-D5000-D5100-D7000-D3000-D90-D80-D60-/400388955202

Retired

I bought a wireless remote on eBay today for 46 baht with free shipping to Thailand.  This is only a shutter release, however.  I'll let you know if it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLL3-IR-Wireless-Remote-Control-for-Nikon-D5000-D5100-D7000-D3000-D90-D80-D60-/400388955202

I have one. Works great on low end Nikons that have an IR port. Doesn't work at all on higher end Nikons that lack an IR port. In my case, D70 = yes, D300s = no.

Oh, and I bought mine from Amazon in the US for $20 (600 baht) so you got quite a deal. :-)

https://stacksocial.com/sales/ioshutter-slr-control-your-shutter-get-the-most-out-of-your-dslr

Just saw this advertised. Not sure of the compatibilty of the D300

I suspect it would work for a wired remote. The D300 has a 10 pin sync port on the front, and it appears that is what is being used.

For android devices, on my D300s, I've used DSLR Dashboard as a wired remote. On my Samsung tablet, I had to buy the Samsung adapter to get a USB port. Then it's just a matter of having a USB cable to go between the android device and the USB port on the camera body. You can choose to store photos on the android device or the camera, and do several other nifty tricks, in addition to tripping the shutter. :-)

Archived