IGNORED

Areca Lodge does it have US power outlets?

tedsam

I read a review in tripadvisor that Areca Lodge has US power outlets? I am planning to stay there and will bring a universal power converter but wondered if anyone can confirm this to be true.

Thanks

Ted

Not likely, if you're referring to the voltage.

Thai outlets will accept US style two-prong plugs but the voltage is 220v. Many devices (such as all laptops) can handle 100-220 input voltage, just check the specs. It will be on the power brick if it has one. A 3-prong to 2-prong adapter is handy to have.

I read a review in tripadvisor that Areca Lodge has US power outlets?

All places I have stayed in LOS have had universal power sockets; according to their website their rooms have them.

I don't think any place outside USA has US power outlets. 110V is a ancient US thing, everywhere else use 220-240V. The outlets in Thailand can generally accommodate US plugs, maybe that's the misunderstanding?

thai-plug.jpg

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. -- Mark Twain.

Thanks for the replies that makes sense. I will bring a converter to be safe. 20 years ago when I went I bought a converter from radio shack it weighed about 5 lbs and was huge with a nice hum when running. I think things are much lighter now.

Thanks!

Ted

Thanks for the replies that makes sense. I will bring a converter to be safe. 20 years ago when I went I bought a converter from radio shack it weighed about 5 lbs and was huge with a nice hum when running. I think things are much lighter now.

Thanks!

Ted

Must appliances is dual voltage. you could check before you haul a  unnecessary load to LOS. http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-identify-dual-voltage-appliances

I have stayed at Areca, and the outlets accept any North American plug in.

As do any outlet in Thailand. On my first trip, I went to central mall to buy an adapter not knowing I didn't need one.

No problem mate, leave your adapter at home.

Yes your plugs will fit the socket but like stated above the voltage is different. I ruined an iron and some hair trimmers. You will not have a problem charging your phone though.

I too have stayed at the Areca many times and can confirm that the outlets accept US type plugs. No issues charging or using my iPhone, iPad or laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've stayed at Areca before and the power plug from your US devices can be plug in without any "fitting" issue. This is not just Areca. The general wall socket in Thailand in tourist area are made to accept round and flat plug so your US plug will work.

HOWEVER, the voltages are different. SO make sure your device can handle 240V before you plug it in, otherwise you might be in for a shock (pun intended).

If you're packing the usual (a laptop and phone or similar modern electronics like battery recharger), you shouldn't need a converter. It all works 110/220 nowadays.

Unless you need to bring something like a hair dryer, electric shaver, or old portable radio; it really isn't necessary. Even my US electric toothbrush charger works with 220.

If you arrive and discover you need a converter, there are probably plenty on offer at Tukcom, no need to haul one across the ocean. Pattaya is a tourist town, after all... your hotel might have converters if you absolutely need one anyway.

If OP finds himself needing a converter, I would advise just not use it.  Converter gets tricky as you need to make sure you get one that will supply / convert adequate wattage or risk a brown out or damage circuitry.

Thanks everyone exactly what I needed to know. I will pack "light" make sure my phone and laptop can take the 220 volts.

I searched for this info in the forums and FAQ but might have missed it. Hopefully this will help other BMs.

Ted

I don't think any place outside USA has US power outlets. 110V is a ancient US thing, everywhere else use 220-240V.

220 is not used everywhere else. The largest country in The Commonwealth (formerly the British Commonwealth) uses 110v for example.

It would be nice to see it standardized but I doubt that we'll see it happen in our lifetimes.

iGo makes a pretty cool travel adapter. The output cord uses small plugin modules so if you have the correct modules you can power almost anything. I rarely use mine though. Except for my Xbox and Sonicare toothbrush, everything else works on either 220 or 110. Just read the device power module before you plug it in. I assumed with the Xbox and got a rather exciting surprise.

220 is not used everywhere else. The largest country in The Commonwealth (formerly the British Commonwealth) uses 110v for example.

It would be nice to see it standardized but I doubt that we'll see it happen in our lifetimes.

Ok, USA, Canada and Japan, a bunch of banana republics and North Korea also have the dubious honor of not using 240V. Still, many of these countries also offer 220-240V and are already in progress to move completely. Brazil for example is listed as having 120 V but you will not find it very often, at least not in newer buildings.  

My point is that it's a dying standard and they should get with the rest of the words just like with the metric system and using Celsius for temperature. :)

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. -- Mark Twain.

A short power cord and a power board that converts one power outlet into 2 or 3 outlets in very handy to have. That is if you wish to charge a few appliances at the same time. Many rooms have a shortage of outlets. However these thing can be purchased locally very cheaply almost anywhere.

Ok, USA, Canada and Japan, a bunch of banana republics and North Korea also have the dubious honor of not using 240V. Still, many of these countries also offer 220-240V and are already in progress to move completely. Brazil for example is listed as having 120 V but you will not find it very often, at least not in newer buildings.  

My point is that it's a dying standard and they should get with the rest of the words just like with the metric system and using Celsius for temperature. :)

While they are at it, they should change this whole driving on the left side of the road nonsense. The right side is exactly that, the right side.  :-D

Archived