IGNORED

If LOS is too tough after August 12 what are the alternatives?

The Sly Fox

There are a couple threads running about immigration crackdowns and tough new regulations probably coming in on August 12. It looks like many farang in LOS could soon be relocating. So rather than hijack those threads I'll start a fresh one.

So what are the alternatives in SE Asia for the Thailand lovers who may not be able to remain here any longer?

Obvious one is Cambodia. Next Philippines. Both countries have large expat communities and offer similar lifestyles in terms of value for money, climate, an abundance of girls. I guess Vietnam also makes the list of possibilities. I'm not sure about Burma, I hear that country is opening up fast, so is it an option too? Laos possibly, but I've been there many times to different parts and personally wouldn't care to live in Lao.

So it looks like the big 3 alternatives are 1) Cambodia. 2) PIs. 3) Vietnam.

So are these countries viable alternatives to Thailand? What are the immigration regulations like in these neighboring countries? What are the pros & cons for anyone considering relocating?

It's possible a lot of guys may no longer be able to stay in LOS after August 12, so lets get this thread moving with some useful facts & figures. Let's hear from the guys who are currently living in these other countries who can offer some helpful info.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

i know from reading on here that getting a working visa and being able to actually work in a bar etc is easy in cambodia ,harder in pi and vietnam

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Philippines currently allows one to stay as a Tourist for 36 months (doing 2 month extensions).

so tourists are allowed to spend 90 days every six months in Thailand, yes?

why not spend three months at a time in PP or SR, then same same in Pattaya?  Share housing with someone else, and just swap back and forth?

Philippines currently allows one to stay as a Tourist for 36 months (doing 2 month extensions).

Thanks for that info marine1. So we can roll up at PIs and OK for 3 years. Do you know the cost of these 2-month extensions, and after 3 years? If it difficult or costly to remain living there beyond those 36 months?

Though I reckon after being there for 3 years one would know the ropes pretty well.

so tourists are allowed to spend 90 days every six months in Thailand, yes?

why not spend three months at a time in PP or SR, then same same in Pattaya?  Share housing with someone else, and just swap back and forth?

I believe there are a couple PA BMs doing just that right now.

For those who  would mis the Pattaya beach...  ( beach ..? sandstrip better worded ) & does not like PP as big city beeing,   there is Sihanoukville , nice beaches some bars ,girls & more to come probably as more barang (the Cambo for farang ) are coming  , could becoming a good replacement . I only was there for a holliday trip , and liked it , could even like to live there .....but no need to go as reached /passed  the 50 + limit already ..and for sure the numbers  for bar & girls wil grow , as same happened with" Fishermans village Pattaya" in the past , thanks tho the Americans .

post-107122-0-56389800-1367742717.jpg 

post-107122-0-57320700-1367670361.jpg

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

If you take the "continuous, extending visa" option and decide you want to stay longer then The Philippine Retirement Authority has a Resident Retirement Visa which is a LIFETIME Visa. that is you are a Resident with an I D card, you never, ever report to Immigration, you don't get exit and re-entry permits. Basically you put money into a term deposit in a bank, amount depends on age, then you get a medical, police. clearance and buy the visa, which is $1,420 US. You can get this visa if you are over 35 years olf, the deposit amount is just larger.

I have had my visa for five years with no problem, my deposit was $20,000. More info at www.pra.gov.ph

If you take the "continuous, extending visa" option and decide you want to stay longer then The Philippine Retirement Authority has a Resident Retirement Visa which is a LIFETIME Visa. that is you are a Resident with an I D card, you never, ever report to Immigration, you don't get exit and re-entry permits. Basically you put money into a term deposit in a bank, amount depends on age, then you get a medical, police. clearance and buy the visa, which is $1,420 US. You can get this visa if you are over 35 years olf, the deposit amount is just larger.

I have had my visa for five years with no problem, my deposit was $20,000. More info at www.pra.gov.ph

Thanks for that biggles, great info. If I could no longer live in LOS then PIs would be high on my list.

For those who  would mis the Pattaya beach...  ( beach ..? sandstrip better worded ) & does not like PP as big city beeing,   there is Sihanoukville , nice beaches some bars ,girls & more to come probably as more barang (the Cambo for farang ) are coming  , could becoming a good replacement . I only was there for a holliday trip , and liked it , could even like to live there .....but no need to go as reached /passed  the 50 + limit already ..and for sure the numbers  for bar & girls wil grow , as same happened with" Fishermans village Pattaya" in the past , thanks tho the Americans .

attachicon.gifpost-107122-0-56389800-1367742717.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-107122-0-57320700-1367670361.jpg

Cheers david555, Snooky would indeed be a great alternative to Pattaya.

Archived