IGNORED

Moonlight Fine Dining - Jomtien

ThailandWine&Dine

(April 28th)

Moonlight restaurant Jomtien View Talay 7

Lots of advertising for the Moonlight, which makes sense when you've tried to find the place - they won't be getting any passing trade. It's on the ground floor at the rear of the main building and pretty much invisible from outside. At least it's easy to park.

Quite small, an intimate setting, they even have a 'dining booth' where couples can eat in complete privacy. Very comfortable seating and tasteful decor, although I wouldn't really call it luxurious as their website states. Just five tables inside and five on a raised terrace overlooking the pool. Too windy tonight to sit outside.

Did have a sense that the place is still finding its feet, having opened a month or two back. Very quiet for a Saturday night too.

The Moonlight is targeting 'gourmet' diners, which even if it boasts Hilton-trained chefs and service employees, is quite a challenge for a new business. Not much room to slip up when you are claiming to be "one of the very best Pattaya restaurants", with "5 star service". They have a lot to live up to, and I did feel they were a touch over-anxious to impress at times.

I enjoyed my meal. If they hadn't set their sights so high, with prices a little on the high side too, I wouldn't quibble at the quality. But there were a few problems.

The free appetiser was a loaf-shaped bread roll, which needs a mention on its own, as it was one of the nicest I've ever tasted. Served with tangy diced salad veg/fruit, with more than a hint of garlic. Everything fine so far.

My gf had opted out of a starter. I chose the following (quote from menu, copied on the website).

"SLOW ROASTED DUCK BREAST (เป็ดอบกับซอสส้ม)
Pan-Seared Foie gras, bigarade sauce, orange meat, vanilla green bean ,butter turnip and port wine reduction. 450 baht."
I was intrigued by this, and expected foie gras along with the sliced duck breast. There was none that I could find - suppose it must be a printing error. All the same, it was delicious, the duck cooked just right, still a little pink, and quite tender (for duck).

On to the main course, where my partner had chosen a dish similar to one she'd had around the corner at Pan Pan few weeks ago, and loved..

"SPAGHETTI ALLA VONGOLE (สปาเก็ตตี้ซอสหอยลาย)
Spaghetti with dice tomato, white wine, chili and fresh clam. Thb 390"
This was (for my gf) a fail. Didn't taste it myself, but I could see that some of the baby clams were hardly open, if at all, which they should do during cooking. She just couldn't extract the clams from some of the shells. She'd had this dish with the clams removed from their shells (minus the chili sauce) at Pan Pan and wolfed it down. Here she managed about half. Usually chili is a clincher for the Thais, but not this time. Couldn't persuade her to get technical, but the conclusion was "it didn't taste nice".

For a change I decided against the meat dish I usually prefer (they had some great-sounding lamb, beef and pork specialities), and went for the following:
"GRILLED GIANT BLACK TIGER PRAWN (4-5 Pcs) Thb 750"
This was pretty good, but for me it had been left under The Grill a minute or so too long. As a result the prawns although still tasty were a little chewy and dry. The salad side dish was ok, but the balsamic vinegar a little overpowering.

To sum up, a bit disappointed. I will give it another try for the steaks and other meat dishes, but you can't give too many chances at these prices - even if for the equivalent of 2500 baht for 2 people you wouldn't get much in Europe these days, you can have some fantastic dining experiences in Thailand.

Other than the dishes above, the final bill included three glasses of house white, one espresso, and a Grand Marnier.

Find Moonlight Fine Dining on our map - Moonlight Fine Dining FB page

10455339_10203631141275361_2338822632859

Check out the map to find restaurants reviewed - ThailandWineAndDine map

Join ThailandWineAndDine on Facebook

I always stay away of tiny portions with high prices restaurants..

• 3 years later...

I wasn't that impressed neither of the place. Will not return cause there is far more better options and cheaper.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2014 at 7:10 AM, lecarreblanc said:

I always stay away of tiny portions with high prices restaurants..

Good to know but he wasn't asking for personal preferences,he simply took the time to share his experience with us here.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

On 7/17/2014 at 11:23 AM, ThailandWine&Dine said:

(April 28th)

Moonlight restaurant Jomtien View Talay 7

Lots of advertising for the Moonlight, which makes sense when you've tried to find the place - they won't be getting any passing trade. It's on the ground floor at the rear of the main building and pretty much invisible from outside. At least it's easy to park.

Quite small, an intimate setting, they even have a 'dining booth' where couples can eat in complete privacy. Very comfortable seating and tasteful decor, although I wouldn't really call it luxurious as their website states. Just five tables inside and five on a raised terrace overlooking the pool. Too windy tonight to sit outside.

Did have a sense that the place is still finding its feet, having opened a month or two back. Very quiet for a Saturday night too.

The Moonlight is targeting 'gourmet' diners, which even if it boasts Hilton-trained chefs and service employees, is quite a challenge for a new business. Not much room to slip up when you are claiming to be "one of the very best Pattaya restaurants", with "5 star service". They have a lot to live up to, and I did feel they were a Touch over-anxious to impress at times.

I enjoyed my meal. If they hadn't set their sights so high, with prices a little on the high side too, I wouldn't quibble at the quality. But there were a few problems.

The free appetiser was a loaf-shaped bread roll, which needs a mention on its own, as it was one of the nicest I've ever tasted. Served with tangy diced salad veg/fruit, with more than a hint of garlic. Everything fine so far.

My gf had opted out of a starter. I chose the following (quote from menu, copied on the website).

"SLOW ROASTED DUCK BREAST (เป็ดอบกับซอสส้ม)
Pan-Seared Foie gras, bigarade sauce, orange meat, vanilla green bean ,butter turnip and port wine reduction. 450 baht."
I was intrigued by this, and expected foie gras along with the sliced duck breast. There was none that I could find - suppose it must be a printing error. All the same, it was delicious, the duck cooked just right, still a little pink, and quite tender (for duck).

On to the main course, where my partner had chosen a dish similar to one she'd had around the corner at Pan Pan few weeks ago, and loved..

"SPAGHETTI ALLA VONGOLE (สปาเก็ตตี้ซอสหอยลาย)
Spaghetti with dice tomato, white wine, chili and fresh clam. Thb 390"
This was (for my gf) a fail. Didn't taste it myself, but I could see that some of the baby clams were hardly open, if at all, which they should do during cooking. She just couldn't extract the clams from some of the shells. She'd had this dish with the clams removed from their shells (minus the chili sauce) at Pan Pan and wolfed it down. Here she managed about half. Usually chili is a clincher for the Thais, but not this time. Couldn't persuade her to get technical, but the conclusion was "it didn't taste nice".

For a change I decided against the meat dish I usually prefer (they had some great-sounding lamb, beef and pork specialities), and went for the following:
"GRILLED GIANT BLACK TIGER PRAWN (4-5 Pcs) Thb 750"
This was pretty good, but for me it had been left under the grill a minute or so too long. As a result the prawns although still tasty were a little chewy and dry. The salad side dish was ok, but the balsamic vinegar a little overpowering.

To sum up, a bit disappointed. I will give it another try for the steaks and other meat dishes, but you can't give too many chances at these prices - even if for the equivalent of 2500 baht for 2 people you wouldn't get much in Europe these days, you can have some fantastic dining experiences in Thailand.

Other than the dishes above, the final bill included three glasses of house white, one espresso, and a Grand Marnier.

Find Moonlight Fine Dining on our map - Moonlight Fine Dining FB page

10455339_10203631141275361_2338822632859

First off its called spaghetti alle vongole. If the vongole remain closed it means that they are bad. DO NOT TRY TO OPEN/EAT THEM! It is very common that there will be about 1 out of 10 that is closed. If its more than that they've got a bad batch.

D

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Archived