IGNORED

Thai culture and the birth of a baby

Just back from patts visiting the heavily pregnant wife, going back for the birth of my son in August, before I left my wife informed me her mother was coming from issan to take care while I was out of town, then she proceeded to tell me about thier culture where after the birth she had to be barbecued 55555555! what do you mean barbecued? apparentley after the birth for around 10-11 or more days she has to lay down with fire as hot as she can stand it around her day and night, I said WTF that all about then, In UK we like the mother to be comfortable and rest, she says it is supposed to make them stronger later, I said it will because they will prob feel as tho there friggin dying,

This is doing my head in anyone out there no or can tell me the facts of this ceromony WTF is it about :Hug1:

That is what I have been told happens. I didn't think it was for that long though.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Yeah, my wife said something similiar. Good for the 'mushie' (pussy) and blood she said. Also must have hot showers. And no sex for 3 months after the birth ...

Yeah I heard this fire thing to be true. Apparently the lengh of time is upto the individual. The longer the better as it makes you stronger. Haven't heard of that many people doing it. Saw once where they places a bucket of hot coals under the bed, more like a BBQ really. Didn't look too healthy an enviroment for someone who'd just given birth, but hey ho this is Thailand.

One strange thing you will notice (if you can speak/understand Thai) is that all the Thais will say your baby is ugly, they are not being offensive or rude, they do this to all babies as they believe if they say the baby is beautiful, spirits will be listening and they will come and take the baby away.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

No sex for three months?

Edited by altec123

Just back from patts visiting the heavily pregnant wife, going back for the birth of my son in August, before I left my wife informed me her mother was coming from issan to take care while I was out of town, then she proceeded to tell me about thier culture where after the birth she had to be barbecued 55555555! what do you mean barbecued? apparentley after the birth for around 10-11 or more days she has to lay down with fire as hot as she can stand it around her day and night, I said WTF that all about then, In UK we like the mother to be comfortable and rest, she says it is supposed to make them stronger later, I said it will because they will prob feel as tho there friggin dying,

This is doing my head in anyone out there no or can tell me the facts of this ceromony WTF is it about :wacko:

LOL....I know this process and yes it still goes on. For the future health of the baby they sleep near a fire. Don't worry they make it as comfortable as possible inclusive of mosquito netting and the works. Not sure but it probably has something to do with the old days where a fire would keep away the little critters that could cause the child harm. Then over the generations turned into a tradition or superstition.

What you may find hilarious is that if your baby turns out to be a boy watch how all the ladies in the village greet him. And I do mean all the females regardless of their age. They approach the Farang Noi (little farang) and without further ado look down the front of his diaper to check the package. It's hilarious, it's like the little sausage is the only thing they're interested in seeing. If the mothers holding him the smaller girls will try to pull his diaper aside from below to get a look.

As the child gets older the village ladies still greet the kid by approaching him and giving the little sausage a bit of a squeeze while they kiss him on the top of the head. I saw one older lady literally roll it around with her fingertips as she was greeting him and didn't stop as she discussed something with the mother. And on another occasion a younger girl holding it as she was telling him how handsome he was (law muk muk).

It's unbelievable, on one occasion they had the kid laying on his back to change the diaper and as soon as it came off all the women (7 or 8) went over to the table and stood around him discussing the kids dick. Touching it, lifting it up and inspecting the nuts etc etc. While all the time carrying on the conversation like it was nothing more than the days goods from the market.

Splits me up every time I see it. The kid has the future I could only have dreamed about in my youth.

Edited by bizzjet

I'm pleased my missus is a city girl, can't be doing with all this nonsense, in Bangkok they tell you you're baby is beautiful.

One strange thing you will notice (if you can speak/understand Thai) is that all the Thais will say your baby is ugly, they are not being offensive or rude, they do this to all babies as they believe if they say the baby is beautiful, spirits will be listening and they will come and take the baby away.

I think they were trying to say that you had great resembelence to the babys father, (being you is ugly Ali) :wacko:

Mmmm...a lot like the tribal rituals I saw in Africa...maybe same same.

aki

LOL....I know this process and yes it still goes on. For the future health of the baby they sleep near a fire. Don't worry they make it as comfortable as possible inclusive of mosquito netting and the works. Not sure but it probably has something to do with the old days where a fire would keep away the little critters that could cause the child harm. Then over the generations turned into a tradition or superstition.

What you may find hilarious is that if your baby turns out to be a boy watch how all the ladies in the village greet him. And I do mean all the females regardless of their age. They approach the Farang Noi (little farang) and without further ado look down the front of his diaper to check the package. It's hilarious, it's like the little sausage is the only thing they're interested in seeing. If the mothers holding him the smaller girls will try to pull his diaper aside from below to get a look.

As the child gets older the village ladies still greet the kid by approaching him and giving the little sausage a bit of a squeeze while they kiss him on the top of the head. I saw one older lady literally roll it around with her fingertips as she was greeting him and didn't stop as she discussed something with the mother. And on another occasion a younger girl holding it as she was telling him how handsome he was (law muk muk).

It's unbelievable, on one occasion they had the kid laying on his back to change the diaper and as soon as it came off all the women (7 or 8) went over to the table and stood around him discussing the kids dick. Touching it, lifting it up and inspecting the nuts etc etc. While all the time carrying on the conversation like it was nothing more than the days goods from the market.

Splits me up every time I see it. The kid has the future I could only have dreamed about in my youth.

Guess wot it is a boy, wifes not in the village she's in Patts so it shouldn't be that bad, if theres gunna be no sex for 3 mnths gunna wear a diaper myself at least i'll get me toger felt by all the ladies :unsure:

Makes me wonder what they would do with a baby girl? Are girl children (thai mom and farang father) treated differently? As they grow older? Are they shunned?

I've never seen the baby girls shunned but I do notice a certain disappointment when the parents present the child.

A noticeable difference. Put the two babies together and watch which one the villagers gravitate to.

Sad but true.

I think you'll find that Isaan mothers prefer to have girls. The girls will look after the family, whilst the boys build their own lives.