Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Bangkok to CM train

George66

Caught the train to Lampang about a year ago which isn't too far from Chiang Mai, it was a first class ticket but not a sleeper train as it was in the day time we left Bangkok in the morning and arrived in the late evening.

The cost was 500bt and it took nearly 13 hours as we had various delays, one included not being able to make it up a mountain in which we were left hurtling backwards down the mountain. They tried to make it again but also failed so back down we went, they changed the tracks over and took a route around the mountain.

As for the scenery well there is not much too see!!! the things i do remember were standing on the outside platform between trains enjoying the country view and nice breeze, also i remember passing through a small village in which there were monkeys everywhere over the streets it was rather interesting.

My advice is that it was very long and mostly pretty boring but i am glad that i have done it once but i don't think i will do it again!!! you can fly for 50AUD and it only takes an hour.

Good luck!!!!

I took the day train about a year ago. It's a pretty long trip and even first class is not the best and the scenery isn't that great. I would always recommend that you do the trip once and then catch the plane back.

The best laugh was the guy who cleaned the toilets, he hosed out the toilet from top to bottom and then used a mop to try and dry off the walls and floor, then he used to run the mop up the isle and over anything he thought needed it. I had to go to the toilet after one of his cleaning episodes and came out pretty wet.

• 1 month later...

gid it once few years ago. its intersting way to

travel and u can meat the local peaple but it is

not very comfortaball and it take for ever so

do it once one way and that more then enouh

• 10 months later...

I did the Bangkok to Chiang Mai trip by rail last year, as I wanted to experience the countryside. However the reality is that the landscape seen from the train is actually very average, not full of paddy fields or terraces. and had I known what it was like in advance, I would have flown. If however the cost is an issue, then the train is obviously much cheaper.

Edited by DUBAIRED

• 2 months later...

Did the train from Chiang Mai ---> BKK a few weeks ago, got 2nd class seat and was plenty comfortable (you get a seat big enough to be a bed). Price was around 800 baht, the train left at night so I didn't really see much countryside but the sleeping was 100x better than any bus ride. Id recommend doing it if you enjoy the travel, otherwise I would just fly.

• 2 months later...

I did the trip back in February and as others have already posted it is an experience. If I was to repeat the performance I would choose second class rather than first simply because there is no access to the dining car in first ( or at least there wasn't when we did the trip)and meals and drinks had to be ordered and were delivered to first. I would have much prefered being able to go to the dining car and use the facilities there. Next trip I am flying up a I am on tight timeline. :GiveBeer1:

I did the Bkk>>CM overnight train ride about 10 years ago. I cannot remember I took 1st class or 2nd class. Overall it was a nice trip and I enjoyed it. The only glitch in the trip was that a pick-up truck tried to beat the train to a crossing and 2 people were killed. The train was delayed for about 30 minutes to adjust the cow catcher. FatherMojo

Same thing happened when I took the night train in February 1990: the loco totalled a truck smuggling teak logs. Long delay as a result. Wouldn't do it again (takes too long and relatively boring) and would NEVER even consider taking the bus; air fares these days are cheap enough. (Side-note: the BKK-Hua Hin day train journey is worth taking)

Train travel is a novelty for me. I always take the overnighter 2nd class sleeper if I get a chance. If the scenery is dull most of the way, pulling out through the BKK shanty towns is interesting, it's amazing how those office girls keep those uniforms so clean and ride side saddle in giant hordes on motorbikes in and out of downtown. coming up into Chiang Mai there was an awesome Sun rise, that Equatorial Sun is so red and it was amazing over green paddies with hills in the background. Interesting folk, a good chance to chill. I liked it. never take the bus though. VIP buses are for backpackers who want to rob from one another.

I never been in a first class sleeper but friends who have tell me they not much good, they say the 2nd class AC sleepers are better, they tell me with the 1st class sleeper the bunks are positioned across the carriage and not lengthways, so while you asleep and the train's rocking you can get rocked out of bed. thats what I been told anyway.

• 1 month later...

Since this thread is also discussing travel by Train vs Bus vs Airplane, can anyone share their experience with last minute air flight purchasing and the cost of last minute purchase relative to booking in advance? Also whether purchasing a ticket at the airport right before travel works out or is a plan for disappointment.?

Currently, Air Asia quotes approximately 1500-1600 THB each way (extra fees unknown), a little more if flight time is near. In contrast, Orbitz quotes $262 USD all fees included or about two and half times as much so they are not a good source. I would like to keep my travel dates flexible, especially the return flight, but unsure what complications I may run into.

Edited by cyan

Update on booking an airline ticket from BKK to CNX. Keep in mind this is just one snapshot in time and airlines pricing changes all the time, but I investigated 3 airlines over a span of week and found:

AirAsia had best teaser rate. But when it came time to book there was extra fees for baggage and even the seat assignment. It initially appeared that you would not be charged extra for seat assignment, if you let the airline automatically chose, but I could not deselect this option on their webpage. The extra fees were so large they ended up being a turn off so I decided not book with them regardless of final price, which was by far the largest. For the record fees were:

Outbound leg (weekday):

Flight = 1479.45 THB

Luggage up to 20kg = 321 THB (15 KG bag = 290 THB)

Airport Tax = 100 THB

VAT = 110.56 THB

Return leg (weekend):

Flight = 1685.06 THB

Luggage up to 20kg = 321 THB (15 KG bag = 290 THB)

Airport Tax = 100 THB

VAT = 110.56 THB

Other taxes/fees

Seat fees = 749 THB

Total = 4991.02 THB

Bangkok Airways website was straight forward as well as their fees. The only complaint I had with the booking, was that after providing all the needed information on their website, they still required you call their reservation center within 24 of the online booking or the ticket reservation would be canceled. I could not understand this process, as it increases the airline's cost and annoys customer to repeat the same step. When I called back the next day, seems the main thing they wanted was my credit card number. I could see that the charge was already pending on my account, but either they have lots of problems with fraud or just want another level of security I couldn't figure it out. I had to wait about 5-6 minutes in queue before reaching the agent so it was not too bad, just a small annoyance. Fare Total = 3980 THB.

Nok Air was another option. They claimed to have a special promotion, so I waited an extra day to try and take advantage of it, but could never gain access. The advertisement would be posted but no direct link to book and the regular site did not offer any special price. Also the day the promotion started their website became slow and inaccessible at times. Regular non-promotion prices were okay, a few hundred baht more than Bangkok Airways, and a reasonable luggage allowane. I did not finish a trial booking to see the absolute final price but I don't think they slam the customer at the last step like AirAsia, as they were very straightforward about fees/taxes at the initial flight selection page. I have flown Nok Air before and enjoyed the whole experience, so I have nothing bad to say about them. I would chose them again. Tentative Total = 4280 THB.

All three airlines had a good selection of flight times each day. AirAsia and Bangkok fly out of Suvarnabhumi Airport, while NokAir flies out of Don Mueang.

Just booked Nok RT for late Nov DMK - CNX. Middle of the day flights - 2550B total. wj

Edited by wackyjacky

if it is for the money: domestic airlines are cheap in Thailand. Contact a local travelagency for the prices.

if it is for the sightseeing: the journey wil be at night, so, nothing to see.

instead, you wil arrive in CM around 9 in the morning, happy to goto your hotel and sleep.

if it is for the comfort: what comfort can you expect on a train in Thailand ? See the line above.

And then, most important: the traintravel wil take around 10 hours: the airplane 1 hour.

The airplaine wil be a bit more expensive, but, you save a lot of time. One hour in a small seat.. can't you ?

Because it is a domestic flight, you don't need to be at the airport hours in advance.

I did take the nighttrain once, it was a real experience, and it was fun as wel because i did have "contact"

with one of the female attendents on the train.

But, never again, it realy takes to long. The speed of the train is dissapointing low.

Between BKK and CM, the train stops several times to take postal mails .

The journey takes to much time for sure.

The only advantage you have: you save on night at an hotel.

And that's the ONLY advantage.

I did this trip a couple of years ago with a group of friends. Some of us were 1st class, me and others 2nd class. Yes it is at night, but if you take the 10:00pm departure you get to see a bit of the country as you arrive around midday. It was a bit noisy but what the heck.

There is some interesting stuff to see on the way, at a couple of stops you can get off and do a quick shop at the stalls set up at the station. You don't stop for long though.

The locals are always cheerful along the way, passed a few beers out to the rail workers when we stopped in the middle of nowhere and got a fantastic response from them. It is LOS of course.

When you get off at Chiang Mai don't follow everyone else out the front cause there are haords of touts and hawkers, go around the side to avoid this if you wish.

Yes we did party a bit but shut it down after the locals had a polite word with us.

Was a great trip, worth doing.

I took the BKK-CM night train once and never again! Sleepers were all booked and I had to spend the night on a bloody seat. Even with nobody in the seat next to you, I felt really cramped and uncomfortable to the point I hardly got any sleep and arrived in CM knackered in the morning.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently took a plane from BKK-CM and back. I booked on the internet before leaving my home country, but after talking to local agents in Thailand I got the feeling that if I had waited until reaching Thailand I could have gotten the same deals or slightly better. If nothing else the travel would have been more flexible. I have not tried the trains yet.

Edited by cyan