Sign in to follow this  
ThailandWine&Dine

Sportsman

ThailandWine&Dine

(March 26th)

Sportsman soi 13.

Disappointed. Eaten here on a Sunday, their carvery is excellent quality and good value. Today picked the daily 'special' - grilled medley of meats, lamb, beef and pork, with fries, peas, tomato, mushroom, onion rings.

Hungry, but couldn't finish it. The fries were not only frozen, but overcooked. Can handle one or the other, but not both. The onion rings were too greasy and overcooked again. The house wine was a bit paint stripperish.

The meats. Sometimes in Thailand I find myself chewing away and not knowing what I'm eating. Today was like that. The only meat with an identifiable taste was the lamb. Even then I wasn't sure. The pork tasted like chicken, and the beef... well it was one of those thai 'beef' fillets where the cooked meat is almost white, and tastes nothing like a real piece of beef.

Couldn't finish it. Wouldn't mind but the Sportsman isn't the cheapest - 395 baht for today's special.

Service a bit take it or leave it. Got the feeling that this is one of those places that gets so much passer-by traffic that they're getting complacent. Ok as always I have to point out that today may be an off day. But it's rare that I cannot finish a meal.

I'll say it again though, I really love their Sunday carvery!

Find The Sportsman on our map.

Sportsman FB page

10464193_10203630907229510_6463871683940

The beef. I think >

10444724_10203630907429515_3636224698663

10411026_10203630907629520_1651903899383

fatjack1

Have to admit that looks like crap.  I am very surprised as I live in the building next door and eat there frequently.  Almost everything I order is OK or better.  I know the service likes me a lot so maybe that is a factor but the daily special shouldn't matter.

ThailandWine&Dine

Have to admit that looks like crap.  I am very surprised as I live in the building next door and eat there frequently.  Almost everything I order is OK or better.  I know the service likes me a lot so maybe that is a factor but the daily special shouldn't matter.

I've had a couple of Sunday lunches there now, both spot on, and I know a few people who think the same. Forget what day the special was, midweek maybe. As for service, and this is a bit of a generalisation, but I've noticed a difference between say the likes of the Darkside - where the customers are pretty much all expats and regulars - and in town. Suppose that's not surprising really.

Pheat

I used to eat in the sportsman all the time up to about 3 years

When I noticed the quality of the meals had gone down considerably

Many better restaurants around Patts with better food for less money

fatjack1

My experience is mostly breakfast.  I eat there almost every day and I get my food the way I like it.  Again I am a regular and the staff there likes me so they take care to get it right.  ON occasion I have lunch and it isn't quite as interesting but I usually have like a salad or thai food then anyway.  Dinners I mostly eat elsewhere.