Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

new taxi meter scam

England man

the best TAXI pricing is generally 1000 to pattaya and 900 back to the airport, using mr T or PT taxi...

I arrive after 11pm and my flight home is usually at 6 or 6:30am, can't use bell bus at those times, and I wouldn't want to even if I could, too much hassle at the front AND back end of a trip for me...

The standard rate to Pattaya at the Taxi Stand is 1500 Baht. I was working in Laos and took the taxis there many times when travelling back and forth. 1500 was always the the price that was asked so that is what I would call the "Standard" price. My company would pay for the cab rides so I never bothered to negotiate a lower price. Make sure the fare is written on the ticket.

If you negotiate a lower price you also have to specifically agree on who pays the tolls. The "Standard" price always meant that the driver paid the tolls.

If taking the bus you may still have additional expense getting from the bus station to you destination. Sometimes one method may be better for a particular trip. If I have a lot of luggage, or if I just completed a 20 hour trip, then I want a cab that takes me to my front door in the minimum time regardless of paying a few hundred baht extra.

Exactly - that's all I was trying to say back there.

There are ways to pay less and Oukiva says he negotiates, which I've not tried myself at the rank.

The OP tried the 'up to departures' method and ultimately failed.

Once I did that and got a 1200 deal and once security was up there preventing taxis from picking up return fares - depends on your luck perhaps, but IMO not worth the hassle.

Was the OP scammed or out manoeuvred - take your pick?

If you do negotiate, your point about the Tolls is a very good one and they can also use the amount of luggage you have, the number of passengers and especially more than one drop to bump the price back up.

The rank price downstairs also has 50 Baht added for admin' I believe, but it's hassle free. you know what you're paying and can relax.

Mr T (or similar) is a good solution, but best if you have a Thai number on landing because things can go wrong and remember he won't be parked right outside the door.

Bell Bus is a good way to save money, remembering that the cheaper rate doesn't get you right to your door.

Otherwise the rank downstairs is the easy option and at least it isn't as bad as what some of the touts waiting at arrivals try to rip you for.

As with the girls' prices, it depends how important the few hundred Baht difference is to you.

Funny yet to see somebody say they got it for free yet ;-)

have never grabbed a cab from the cab stand at the airport to Pattaya, have to Bangkok, don't remember how much but it was a flat rate, I think 500.

You got ripped off there unless you weren't staying in the Sukh area and shouldn't have been a flat rate ... always metre on IMHO.

You got ripped off there unless you weren't staying in the Sukh area and shouldn't have been a flat rate ... always metre on IMHO.

like I said, I don't recall what I paid...  what's the standard flat rate deal to suk, 300 and a tip?  

No idea about flat rate; unless getting picked up by a friend I always use the official taxi rank where "all" taxis use meters ("all" apart from the very few that have tried it on when they take off ... had a couple of them one of whom was after 500, cheeky bugger, had a good laugh with him on the way in after we established it wasn't my first time and he was taking the piss). Depending on traffic and route, to lower Sukh I would think around the 300 Bht mark all in, I tend to stay on Soi 22 or every now and then Soi 11 and averages 350 Bht I think (I must start taking notice of prices, been spending way too much past few years!).

It's not a scam 1500 is the quoted rate. I told them I was prepared to pay 1200 and they agreed. Only did it once. Now I always book ahead to get a private car

12 Pints in Know it all

This thread shows that some guys like to take a taxi from the airport to there hotel in Pattaya.  And some like to get a Bell Bus.

My preferance will always be to get a taxi because after a long journey from England to BKK I just want to get to my hotel in Pattaya asap.  And the quickest way is by taxi.  In the taxi I can just sit back and relax knowing that once I get to Pattaya the driver will drop me off outside my hotel.  For me that is a lot easier than going by bus

This thread shows that some guys like to take a taxi from the airport to there hotel in Pattaya.  And some like to get a Bell Bus.

My preferance will always be to get a taxi because after a long journey from England to BKK I just want to get to my hotel in Pattaya asap.  And the quickest way is by taxi.  In the taxi I can just sit back and relax knowing that once I get to Pattaya the driver will drop me off outside my hotel.  For me that is a lot easier than going by bus

When you're coming on holiday and from UK 20 quid (Mr T) for a 75 mile trip really doesn't seem serious anyway right?

Archived