Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Is this the beginning of the end for multi entry tourist visas?

Dave Hedgehog

Im already on a tourist visa (and well aware of all the other options) and thats what they are cracking down on

and they will also will be looking closely at the Ed Visa in future.

I meant in my reply that there is no 'proper' visa for me personally

= that is not in one way or the other abusing the purpose of that specific visa.

Yes there are other options, even for guys like you, to live in Thailand:

Many visa available: TV & ED as said above, but crackdown to come...

and: EP (Elite Privilege card. It's not you can't but that you don't want it)

and also: B or IB, with some investment in Thailand

EP, B & IB are perfectly legal and with no crackdown in view :wink:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there are other options, even for guys like you, to live in Thailand:

Many visa available: TV & ED as said above, but crackdown to come...

and: EP (Elite Privilege card. It's not you can't but that you don't want it)

and also: B or IB, with some investment in Thailand

wouldn't an education visa be fine so long as you are truly being a student and doing whatever the visa was granted for?

the crackdown is on people using these and not really being students, like the border hopper tourist visa extenders, yes?

the crackdown is on people using these and not really being students, like the border hopper tourist visa extenders, yes?

And herein lies the real problem with this option. If, like me, you have form for a couple of years worth of back to back TVs and 15 day stamps, is there not a massive risk, post August 12th, of getting refused the ed visa in a neighboring country and finding yourself locked out?.

I've spoke to Mac Walen from the Walen school on Pattayaklang near Big C and he reckons I'll have no problem with a UK passport but I found a post from xmas eve where he was warning people like me that they may get refused under any crackdown. Being a massive cynic I'm thinking he'll tell me anything once I've shown interest in giving him some money.

as far as "visa dodging" goes, is that really a fair characterization? The authorities set up the rules, and people were doing what they thought was completely legit*. Is it really fair to penalize them in the future for doing something that was accepted, standard practice when they did it? It does not seem so to me. But then again I don't know if they are going to go back and look at peoples visa, extension and exemption history, or if they are, how far back will they be looking? So much is so unclear right now. 

*Legit assuming, of course, that these people were not using the system to work illegally. IMO that is a separate issue, and I totally support the PTB in cracking down on those folks. Sadly I met at least one or two people who were doing that on almost every border run and trip to Laos for a new tourist visa back when I was first here and juggling tourist visas and visa exemptions myself.

"Visa dodging" does sound a bit derogatory I suppose......and yes I've done it myself in the past.

Whatever term you use, Immigration is now seriously tackling the issue of people (mis)using their visa and visa exemption schemes for purposes they weren't intended for, either because they don't qualify for the appropriate visa, or they choose not to use it and especially if they are doing that in order to work here.

Because of the emphasis on the latter point, it is of course possible that they will look further into 'proper' visas which are being used to allow people to work here.

That would include Ed' visas and Marriage and Retirement Extensions I assume.

The military are in charge for the foreseeable future, they have seemingly limitless manpower and from what I caught of the NCPO broadcast (subtitles) yesterday, they have big plans for Thailand in general.

.........................................................................................................................................................

Deviation from the topic title and it's only a bar story, but he's told me it twice now in great detail and I don't doubt it.

Briefly, it concerns offshore workers who use Thailand for their time off, rather than going home (perhaps to avoid paying tax).

A long term colleague of his, who even has a 'wife' and children and home here, tried to enter Thailand for his regular 4 weeks off.

He was denied visa waiver entry due to his Passport stamp history - the officer said he was not a tourist, but was using the waiver system in order to work elsewhere and avoid going home and paying tax.

He was told that he should fly home or to a country where he could get a proper visa.

He flew to Phnom Penh and got a TV then tried to re-enter.

What he did not realise was that his Passport had been stamped (O-I ?) or written in that he had been denied entry due to his history.

He was denied entry again and last heard of he was stuck in Cambodia.

I am under 50, no wife or children, do not work here and do not do business here and live off income from the UK so there is no proper visa for someone like me.

If I was in your position, with no wife/job/property/commitments in Thailand and with the immigration situation becoming a serious headache, I'd be moving immediately to Cambo or PIs and living off my UK income there.

What's Thailand offer that's so wonderful that life has to become a misery in order to stay here? Good climate, cheap lifestyle, exotic culture, pussy...Cambo & PIs have all that too.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

This morning I ran into a Thai business owner that I know, who works with foreigners on visas, company setup and work permits.  He said that currently it is no longer possible to get a B visa if you are in Thailand now.  You would need to leave and get it outside of Thailand and it was not clear yet if they would be issued by Thai Embassy's in adjacent / near by countries or if you would be required to return to your home country to get it.  He also indicated that they are seeing many of their customers electing to just leave Thailand all together rather than deal with the ever changing rules and requirements.  

This morning I ran into a Thai business owner that I know, who works with foreigners on visas, company setup and work permits.  He said that currently it is no longer possible to get a B visa if you are in Thailand now.  You would need to leave and get it outside of Thailand and it was not clear yet if they would be issued by Thai Embassy's in adjacent / near by countries or if you would be required to return to your home country to get it.  He also indicated that they are seeing many of their customers electing to just leave Thailand all together rather than deal with the ever changing rules and requirements.  

Hopefully my future here is secure. I have the annual retirement visa + multi re-entry visa. I have income for my age pension + property rental in Aust.

But if they ever started making my life here a big headache it'd be bye bye LOS. There are plenty more swaying coconut palms & smiling dusky maidens in SE Asia.

....................................ever changing rules and requirements.  

I agree that the "requirements" are changing, but are the rules (regulations) changing much.

The warnings about misuse of border runs and visa waiver have been out there for long enough surely?

The new bit is the requirement to show that you're a genuine tourist when you use arrangements intended for tourists.

For those who can't comply, Cambodia and even PI)are backstops, but certainly not the first choice for most of us.

Im already on a tourist visa (and well aware of all the other options) and thats what they are cracking down on and they will also will be looking closely at the Ed Visa in future.

I meant in my reply that there is no 'proper' visa for me personally = that is not in one way or the other abusing the purpose of that specific visa.

The purpose of the ED visa is to allow you to be here long term while you are educated in an approved course of study. If you actually get that educations, in what way is that abusing the purpose of the visa?

wouldn't an education visa be fine so long as you are truly being a student and doing whatever the visa was granted for?

Also, the 'crackdown' on ED visas began six months ago. The ED visa situation is a lot more clear than the TV situation right now.

"Visa dodging" does sound a bit derogatory I suppose......and yes I've done it myself in the past.

Whatever term you use, Immigration is now seriously tackling the issue of people (mis)using their visa and visa exemption schemes for purposes they weren't intended for, either because they don't qualify for the appropriate visa, or they choose not to use it and especially if they are doing that in order to work here.

Because of the emphasis on the latter point, it is of course possible that they will look further into 'proper' visas which are being used to allow people to work here.

Again. Immigration started with the ED visa even before the TV changes. You started the big thread on that one Edge, IIRC.

I guess I do sort of understand why there is a bit of a knee jerk reaction that leans toward assuming folks on ED visas are cheating somehow, as there are so many people who have been doing that, and schools which have been making a lot of money on them. It's an issue that is close to home for me. Pisses me off that I get lumped in with the cheaters when I have been putting in an effort to be on the up and up. 

Again. Immigration started with the ED visa even before the TV changes. You started the big thread on that one Edge, IIRC.

I guess I do sort of understand why there is a bit of a knee jerk reaction that leans toward assuming folks on ED visas are cheating somehow, as there are so many people who have been doing that, and schools which have been making a lot of money on them. It's an issue that is close to home for me. Pisses me off that I get lumped in with the cheaters when I have been putting in an effort to be on the up and up. 

555 Yes I know I started that thread when the announcement was made, but I suppose I see a new impetus and intent to so many of the rules and regulations since the military took over, whether it's about visa regulations or just what's happening on WS.

NCPO have added their will and their manpower to 'crackdowns' which so often seemed to be not much more than window dressing before.

I don't doubt your own good intentions and commitment to the Ed' visa process for a moment, but most of the people I know who are using it are just using it as a visa dodge, so I'm afraid you're bound to be tarred with the same brush and subject to whatever tests they come up with, if any.

I'm sure you'll be more than ready, but just attending the classes is obviously a good start.  :WinkGrin1:

The 'ask no questions', 'no need to study', 'just hand over cash' education visa offered by some visa companies, rather than schools, in both Bangkok and Pattaya seems to be over (a shame!).  But I can't see a crackdown on genuine education visas offered by schools. 

The 'ask no questions', 'no need to study', 'just hand over cash' education visa offered by some visa companies, rather than schools, in both Bangkok and Pattaya seems to be over (a shame!).  But I can't see a crackdown on genuine education visas offered by schools. 

It's difficult for them to police though. As I've stated above, I'm concerned about my history of a tourist visa 'abuser' potentially making life difficult for me when I leave the country to try and collect a student visa. It must be obvious to them that now tourist visas are no longer a long term option splashing out 25,000 baht for a years student visa with only a minuscule time commitment is the next stage in the game. There's likely a completely non logical rebuttal of this to follow.

The purpose of the ED visa is to allow you to be here long term while you are educated in an approved course of study. If you actually get that educations, in what way is that abusing the purpose of the visa?

Also, the 'crackdown' on ED visas began six months ago. The ED visa situation is a lot more clear than the TV situation right now.

Because the real intent for getting that ED visa is to stay in the country long term and you/me are studying not by choice but by necessity. 

Because the real intent for getting that ED visa is to stay in the country long term and you/me are studying not by choice but by necessity. 

Certainly the noise around the bars for those caught up in this is where to go next.

Ed' visas have been the easy option for quite a long time and there's no question that Immigration are well aware of that and they will obviously notice any increase in applications at a time when they have declared a crackdown on it.

@ brewster - perhaps not a crackdown on schools as such, but there are reports that some have been warned there will be checks - how else can they crack down other than to check attendance and progress of students?

The military are in charge for the foreseeable future, they have seemingly limitless manpower and from what I caught of the NCPO broadcast (subtitles) yesterday, they have big plans for Thailand in general.

.........................................................................................................................................................

Deviation from the topic title and it's only a bar story, but he's told me it twice now in great detail and I don't doubt it.

Briefly, it concerns offshore workers who use Thailand for their time off, rather than going home (perhaps to avoid paying tax).

A long term colleague of his, who even has a 'wife' and children and home here, tried to enter Thailand for his regular 4 weeks off.

He was denied visa waiver entry due to his Passport stamp history - the officer said he was not a tourist, but was using the waiver system in order to work elsewhere and avoid going home and paying tax.

He was told that he should fly home or to a country where he could get a proper visa.

He flew to Phnom Penh and got a TV then tried to re-enter.

What he did not realise was that his Passport had been stamped (O-I ?) or written in that he had been denied entry due to his history.

He was denied entry again and last heard of he was stuck in Cambodia.

Hi,

any current news from offshore workers? I am working 4/4 weeks and my passport is full of stamps as well......

Hi,

any current news from offshore workers? I am working 4/4 weeks and my passport is full of stamps as well......

I don't actually know anything I'm afraid, but I believe the story I posted and I appreciate that the situation is scary for those concerned.

Basically there isn't any definite information AFAIK and most in your position are waiting for whatever Aug 12th brings before they decide what to do.

Over 50s may be looking at the Retirement Extension option as the way to go.

At some point it might be worth starting a separate thread here, but in the meantime I'd be watching Thaivisa for news and views.

From ThaiVisa forum in 28/28 topic:

My mate came through Swampy in the last hour with many tourist exempt, Cambodian in and outs etc.

He's a 28/28.

All he got was a smile and his passport stamped

:)

I am studying Thai by choice. I was trying to study Thai before I got the ED visa, but without a bit of structure and access to a teacher that is literate in both Thai and English it was very slow going, for me at least. So it is a win/win. 

Certainly the noise around the bars for those caught up in this is where to go next.

Ed' visas have been the easy option for quite a long time and there's no question that Immigration are well aware of that and they will obviously notice any increase in applications at a time when they have declared a crackdown on it.

@ brewster - perhaps not a crackdown on schools as such, but there are reports that some have been warned there will be checks - how else can they crack down other than to check attendance and progress of students?

There have been checks. Immigration police have come around to my school a couple times recently, and the word I have is that they are making multiple rounds of visits to all the schools. 

Panic over (for some)?????

GOOD NEWS FROM THAI IMMIGRATION

Longer visa exemption extensions begin August 29, 2014

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has announced that of August 29. 2014 you will be able to extend your visa exemption period whilst you're in Thailand by 30 days, instead of the current 7 days, giving a total visa-exemption stay of 60 days.  The fee for extension of stay is 1,900 Baht (unchanged).

Currently, a visa exemption entry can be extended by 7 days at your nearest Immigration office. From August 29th, it can be extended by 30 days. In effect, you can be in the country without a visa for 60 days.

Also - the Commander of Immigration has removed the proposed lifetime ban for overstaying 10 years. Thaivisa will publish the new, more lenient rules shortly.

The Immigration Commander has also stated that immigration are working to ensure that the new rules are being standardized at both immigration checkpoints and immigration offices nationwide.  

If you are traveling on visa-exempt or with a tourist visa, bring these documents for your extension:

1. Your onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht, or rather 20,000 Baht

3. Hotel booking confirmation - and if you have it, your itinerary

4. One photo, passport sized.

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

It is not clear whether after 29th August this will still be an automatic refusal stamp with 30 days to leave, or whether the procedure will be changed and you will instead be granted an extension of 30 days.

Thaivisa News thanks the Immigration HQ in Bangkok for these updates. We are expecting more updates in the coming days and weeks. Thaivisa News is due to meet up with the Immigration Commander and his staff next week for a longer interview. Watch this space and subscribe to our newsletter for the latest Immigration updates.

In addition to Thaivisa was able to get this info confirmed direct with the Immigration Bureau, we also thank Thaivisa member and freelance journalist Scott Mallon in Bangkok for supplying us with this video explaining the news in Youtube video format:

Hi.

I just want to confirm regarding the new rules posted in this thread.

I am currently on my 2nd entry of my Tourist Visa.

I would like to get a 30 day extension then fly outside Thailand for 6 weeks.

Question:

When I apply for a 30 day extension at Jomtien on September 2nd , do I need to bring:

1A onward flight ticket or eTicket out of Thailand within the 30 days

2. Minimum 10,000 Baht

3. hotel booking confirmation

4. One photo, passport sized

5. Application fee, 1,900 Baht

Previously getting a 30 Extension on a Tourist Visa I had a Passport, photo and 1900 baht.

Thanks.

TC.  

Panic over (for some)?????

At least they are making an effort to clear up the confusion about what the rules are, and making an effort that all the immigration offices are working under the same rules. Still a wait and see game at this point, but I see this as a very positive development.

Everyone has until the 12th of August to get their house in order, do not be surprised if after that date Condominium are visited and residents required to show their passports along with their current legal visa. You may well see whole Sois occupied, with the assistance of the army whilst everybodies details are checked, along with work permits of anyone they believe are working such as bar owners.

Everyone has until the 12th of August to get their house in order, do not be surprised if after that date Condominium are visited and residents required to show their passports along with their current legal visa. You may well see whole Sois occupied, with the assistance of the army whilst everybodies details are checked, along with work permits of anyone they believe are working such as bar owners.

That sounds pretty ominous. Do you have a source for the prediction of door to door checks?

There's always been talk of getting a new passport so you're not showing years worth of visas all in a close time frame, seems a bit silly in this digital age. I wonder if having a clean passport will help as I got a new one before coming back last week.

Agreed Dave on my last entry at the airport they asked me lots of questions which proved they had all my history of entries and staying in the kingdom. So new passport is useless as that was at least 3 passports ago.

My Thai Girlfriend says having a small Dick shouldn’t be a problem in a relationship I still wish she didn’t have one though!

Surely you jest, sir?

Archived