Pattaya Live Streams >> Pattaya Girls Live Youtube | Pattaya Girls Live Facebook | Pattaya Girls On Tour YouTube | Pattaya Girls on Tour Facebook | Pattaya Girls on Tour YouTube 2 | Nightwish Girls Payment Portal |

IGNORED

Wok N Rok on Soi Bukhao

Evil Penevil

post-9139-0-52188600-1405236542.jpg 

I had dinner last night at the Wok N Rok on Soi Bukhao, which as its banner proclaims, features U.K.-style Chinese food for on-site dining or takeaway.

post-9139-0-72735900-1405231050.jpg 

It's not hard to find, but it can be easy to miss when riding the baht bus. That's why the banner is useful; pretty hard to miss that one. When heading north on Soi Bukhao, it's on your right about 1/3 of the way between Soi Diana and Pattaya Klang.

post-9139-0-68033900-1405231001.jpg 

There was a good crowd at the Wok N Rok last night to enjoy the food and the conversation, as it also functions as a bar.

post-9139-0-16000100-1405231063.jpg 

Wok N Rok features the same type of food you'd find in a Chinese restaurant in the U.K. It's not the same sort of food you'll find in restaurants in China or elsewhere in Asia except maybe Hong Kong. It's an adaptation of Chinese dishes to Western tastes and ingredients. I lived and worked in Taiwan and mainland China for parts of the 1980s and 1990s, including a three-year stint in Beijing. After experiencing real Chinese food, I wasn't very keen on the U.S. or U.K. style of Chinese food.

However, the high-quality ingredients, subtle flavors and care in preparation makes the Wok N Rok's offerings easy for me to accept. The sweet-and-sour sauce is close to what you'd find in many Hong Kong eateries.

Last nightI went with the Peking spare ribs (145 baht) and the duck in orange sauce (165 baht) with boiled rice (30 baht). Both tasted great.

post-9139-0-26298400-1405231004.jpg 

post-9139-0-53215300-1405231022.jpg 

The ribs were indeed Peking style, cooked tender and the sauce had the right flavor.

post-9139-0-44978300-1405231009.jpg 

post-9139-0-07973000-1405231014.jpg 

The generous portion of duck breast was also tender and moist.

post-9139-0-32334900-1405231028.jpg 

post-9139-0-21314700-1405231032.jpg 

The orange sauce wasn't too sweet or dominating and had an appropriate acidity that complemented the richness of the duck.

post-9139-0-70172100-1405231044.jpg 

The sauces are one of the things that impress me most about th Wok N Rok. They are far better than what comes with a lot of the Chinese take-away dishes you get in the West.

post-9139-0-34506400-1405231047.jpg 

The Wok N Rok has new service staff (very friendly and attentive) and the food that comes out of the kitchen holds the same high standard it's always done. The Wok B Rok's owner, who doubles as the chef, trained and worked in a Chinese restaurant in Scotland and knows her stuff.

post-9139-0-31979100-1405231042.jpg 

The menu at the Wok N Rok features close to 100 items. You'll find everything from appetizers and soups through main dishes to desserts, all in the U.K. style of Chinese food. The menu includes curries, chow mein and egg fu yung, as well as a variety of beef, duck, pork, chicken and prawn dishes served with the appropriate sauces (sweet and sour, kung pao, black pepper sauce, black bean sauce, honey chili, orange sauce, lemon sauce, Peking, oyster sauce). There are also a couple of Western dishes on the menu (roast chicken breast, fish and chips).

Most of the dishes are Cantonese style, but there are some Szechuan and satay dishes on the menu, Prices are very reasonable, with the main dishes coming in at 155-165 baht. You can see a full menu  here.

If you enjoy U.K.-style Chinese food, you can't do better in Pattaya than the Wok N Rok.

Evil

devil.gif

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Thanks for sharing and very useful infomations.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

They've got a Thai style omellete now that is so good any attempt by me to describe how good it is would do it an injustice. It's that good!

A girl I took there ordered it and after one bite I informed her that this would now be a Thai meal. "We're sharing." I ate half of her omellete.

It has chicken and green & white onions. The taste and texture is out of this world. I think it was 110 baht.

Thanks for the review. Walked past it a few times in the day when not hungry but did not realise it can also be treated as a bar. Will try it for sure on my next visit.

Fantastic work Sir, really good reviews on the front line, very much appreciated. :NiceThread1:  

Sir

Your review is slightly gushing

Have eaten in the w/r a few times

The food is ok at best and a bit pricey

Sir

Your review is slightly gushing

Have eaten in the w/r a few times

The food is ok at best and a bit pricey

That depends on what your frame of reference is.  For a simple restaurant in Pattaya that does a lot of takeaway business, Wok N Rok holds a high standard and he prices are very reasonable considering the quality of the food you get.  Is there a better place in Pattaya to get UK-style Chinese food?

And a couple of points of information I forgot in the original review.  First, the Wok N Rok does have tables and chairs in the back section.  The pic is from an earlier occasion. 

IMG_6725.jpg

Second,  the terminology and recipes for Western-style Chinese food aren't standardized.  There are some differences between U.K.- and U.S.-style Chinese food both in name and substance. What the Wok N Rok calls chow mein on its menu would be called lo mein on the East Coast of the U.S.  The Wok N Rok's chow mein is a stir-fry of meat, vegetables and soft round noodles. Chow mein in parts of the U.S. refers to the meat and vegetable mixture poured over flat, crispy noodles.  And to confuse matters further, Chinese restaurants on the West Coast of the U.S. use the name "chow mein" for the same dish as the Wok N Rok, while the crispy noodle dish is called Hong Kong chow mein or Hong Kong noodles.

A New Yorker who ordered chow mein at the Wok N Rok might be surprised at the dish he got and this could lead to frustration and disappointment. A Californian wouldn't have that problem.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

My favourite Chinese restaurant ,visited them three times a week last December and January for 7 weeks . A must visit for those who loves British Chinese style . Below are spring rolls , chicken curry and chicken with Peking sauce .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I really don't understand this English Chinese food talk , even in the UK it's rubbish and should have the tittle with Chinese taken out and bares little against true Chinese food

I have eaten at Wok and hated the food , as bad as my worst local take away and not cheap , I'm sorry but there are good options in Pattaya to eat authentic Chinese food

visited this place 2 times 6 months ago..ordered 3 different meals... hot and sour soup,beef chow mein,fried rice with chicken...could not finish any of them...pricey and very bad tasting....will never go this restaurant

the thing that disturbed me most is they not serve lime,lemon with fried rice....all restaurants even street food vendors give a piece of lime when u order fried rice....I asked the waitress for lime and she gave me 1 small piece of lime with her bare hand....I am not joking....lime is transferred from her bare hand to mine  :Finger5:

I really don't understand this English Chinese food talk , even in the UK it's rubbish and should have the tittle with Chinese taken out and bares little against true Chinese food

I have eaten at Wok and hated the food , as bad as my worst local take away and not cheap , I'm sorry but there are good options in Pattaya to eat authentic Chinese food

Got to agree with you. I ate there with my wingman a couple of months ago. We both found it tasteless, bland and expensive. It was ones of the worst Chinese meals I have ever had.

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

There is no such thing as "English Chinese food."

There is "Western Chinese food," with most of the recipes being invented by Chinese immigrants to the U.S. during the California Gold Rush.

Those recipes -- designed to please the Western palate -- made their way to England with predictables results. The English can fuck up a boiled egg.

With that being said, I'll stand by Evil's review. I've been to Wok 'N Rok many times since it has opened and the grub is very good.

To trust a Brit's opinion on Chinese food would be the same thing as trusting a Muslim's opinion of pork spare ribs. They aren't likely to have a credible opinion.

Got to agree with you. I ate there with my wingman a couple of months ago. We both found it tasteless, bland and expensive. It was ones of the worst Chinese meals I have ever had.

Yep

If the w/r was based in the Uk would soon go bust

There is just something missing from all the dishes i tryed

Compared to a uk based Chinese takeaway

There is "Western Chinese food," with most of the recipes being invented by Chinese immigrants to the U.S. during the California Gold Rush.

Those recipes -- designed to please the Western palate -- made their way to England with predictables results. The English can fuck up a boiled egg.

With that being said, I'll stand by Evil's review. I've been to Wok 'N Rok many times since it has opened and the grub is very good.

To trust a Brit's opinion on Chinese food would be the same thing as trusting a Muslim's opinion of pork spare ribs. They aren't likely to have a credible opinion.

Would you trust a fellow Canadian on his view of Chinese food? If the answer is yes, my wingman is a Canadian and he thought it was shite aswell

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

I have worked in the restaurant business for 35 years and spent many years eating in china town so I don't need you to question my credentials

I have worked in the restaurant business for 35 years and spent many years eating in china town so I don't need you to question my credentials

Based on your post, I SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE your credentials.

You spent 35 years working in "the reataurant business" doing what? Probably a waiter? A dishwahser? 

You're just another negative dickhead, in my opinion.

Wok 'N Rok rocks.

Based on your post, I SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE your credentials.

You spent 35 years working in "the reataurant business" doing what? Probably a waiter? A dishwahser? 

You're just another negative dickhead, in my opinion.

Wok 'N Rok rocks.

So now you resort to insults , and yes I started as a waiter and now run a nightclub and restaurant if you need proof ask fellow BM Socrates

So challenge me if you like , you like Woc n Role , great for you I hope u enjoy many happy meals there

I think it is really sad that to prove your point you have to be so insulting

• 2 weeks later...

So now you resort to insults , and yes I started as a waiter and now run a nightclub and restaurant if you need proof ask fellow BM Socrates

So challenge me if you like , you like Woc n Role , great for you I hope u enjoy many happy meals there

I think it is really sad that to prove your point you have to be so insulting

Wok 'N Rok has great food. Just had another excellent meal there tonight.

What you perceive as insults, is me challenging your credibility. Nothing more.

If you have REAL restaraunt experience, you either visited Wok 'n Rok on a bad day, or you have no idea what you are talking about. I always suspect the latter on this board.

It has too many "experts" with obvisouly fake credentials.

I have seen many posts on this board that state the food at the Beer Garden is good. LOL.

It's only my opinion.

Maybe it was a bad day , but there food really is not to my tast and I would not compare it to the Beer Garden , but I would compare it to other Chinese restaurants in Pattaya that I love eating at .

But let's leave it at that , restaurants are always a matter of personal opinion so let's beg to differ

Archived