IGNORED

Pattaya Beer Garden Update – 4 July

PattayaPete

We now have two months of operation under our belts and I am feeling very positive about the future of the Pattaya Beer Garden. There have been no major changes or innovations, which is why my updates have been less frequent. We have our basic business model which seems to be working as planned so now it's just a matter of getting the word out that we exist and concentrating on giving the best service we can.

Although readers of this blog and the forums on which I have been posting it are well acquainted with the bar they represent only a small portion of visitors to Pattaya and expats. Every day one or two visitors express their amazement that we exist but they have never heard of us. I've been spending plenty of money on advertising and we are currently on 15 baht buses, in Pattaya People and the Walking Street Journal, After Dark magazine, The East of Siam magazine and have handed out about a gizillion flyers. I'd be surprised if we have reached even 5% of our potential customers with the effort so far so we will continue to spend too much money on advertising. We will also be adding some TV to the mix shortly.

One of the odd things about Pattaya is the huge number of media outlets available for advertising. For a small city we have an incredible number of newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations. While this is a great service for the population its a bit of a curse for advertisers as there are so many it is impossible to be in everything. The odd thing about all this is that while the general public remain oblivious to our operation, the sales staff of every single publication and media outlet in town seem to have discovered us. It's been interesting to see the skill level of the various reps with some being excellent and others being terrible. Top marks to Mark for the Baht Buses and Jintana of The East of Siam magazine. True professionals who know their stuff. Brickbats to the Pattaya Mail for not even knowing how many copies they distribute or being able to answer any of my questions (and they have the most expensive rates as well).

On the subject of newspapers we will have free copies of the Daily Mail (England) and USA Today (USA) as well as the Bangkok Post and the Nation each day from tomorrow. These are for reading, not keeping. The international papers will be the current edition which means you will be reading it before the people in England or America have even woken up. The papers will be delivered at 10 am each morning, so if you want to have an early breakfast and catch up on the news then you know where to come. On Sunday we will also have The News of the World so you can see what has really been happening during the week :rolleyes:

The work of the husband of the owner (that's me) is always varied and seems to include a bit of social work as well. Recently one of our customers decided to kill himself by jumping off the balcony of the bar. Three of our tiny female waitresses managed to stop this 6 footer before he could jump. I sat with him for an hour or so as his tale of life in fun city got more and more bizarre. Seems he had bar fined a girl the day before and then after an argument, dispatched her without paying for her services. He told me how all the Thais knew of this transgression and were out to kill him so he decided he may as well end it all himself. As we sat in the bar he pointed out Thai people (our staff actually) looking at their cell phones and told me they were all sending his photo to all the other Thais so they could find him and kill him.

Eventually I calmed him down and walked with him to the bar where the girl worked. We managed to find her and I asked her if there was a problem. She said (in Thai) that the guy was nuts and she didn't want anything to do with him but it would be nice if he gave her the 1500 baht he owed her. He duly paid up and I left him nursing a beer and looking much relieved. It's a funny old town.

Thanks for all the feed back on the pool table issue. Although many were in favour, an equal number were against. Some people were quite passionate about it seeking me out at the bar to say please do not ruin the laid back atmosphere by adding the tables. My own gut feeling all along was not to do it but so many people asked about it that I was doubting my own decision. Now that so many have come out against them it is an easy decision and we will not be adding them. As others said there are literally hundreds of places to play pool in Pattaya and adding one more is not going to achieve much. For the pool players, there are tables right at our front door, run by the beer bars in front of us so you only have to walk a few feet if you feel like a game.

There are no photos in this update. I know people like photos but I've been suffering from rejection syndrome. I've asked many ladies and visitors if they wanted to be on the website but my advances are being rejected. It seems too many guys and girls have too many Secrets. Actually I got so fed up with being rejected I passed the official mantle of photographer on to our trainee manager. He had a day or two of glory and his photographic efforts appeared in the one month update. However he soon suffered rejection syndrome as well and has been performing his duties so poorly I have nothing to show for this update.

Did you know the Pope works for us? Well actually our trainee manager is named Pope. You will see him looking officially important most days between 3 pm and 11 pm. As he is the official bar photographer, he would be really happy if you asked him to take your photo and if you do, you could end up being displayed right here. You know everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame. It would be helpful and greatly increase your chances of getting into an update if you are accompanied by an attractive Thai girl.

We have worked out most of the kinks in the system and the bar is running well. The biggest issue is coping with demand at evening meal time. We are still too slow at getting the meals out as we get a huge spike in demand from 7 pm to 9 pm. We can have up to 30 groups of people waiting for their food at these times. We are looking at more cooks and more cooking equipment to deal with these spikes but it's a bit tricky as we cope quite well the rest of the time. A few part timers may be the answer and we are looking into that. Most visitors seem to enjoy the bar, the atmosphere and the music and the ladies are turning up in greater numbers as well. There is a lot of buzz on the internet and I really do appreciate those who have gone out of their way to get word out about the place. Remember if you tell two friends and they tell two friends . . . in about 50 iterations the whole world will know.

I have been feeling a little greng jai about posting my blog on this forum. Thanks to the mods for putting up with me. As the bar becomes more established i am going to write shorter entries to the blog about some of the many amusing things that occur. I think I'd be pushing my luck to post those here so I'll restrict them to to the blog at www.pattayabeergarden.com. With the mod's forbearance, I will continue to post major updates here.

I'll leave you with a very nice review that Baron Bonk, a well known Bangkok commentator wrote about the beer garden. If you want to subscribe to the Baron's newsletter you can do so at www.baronbonk.com

The Barons Review.

Copycat off to flying start in Pattaya

As imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery, one Bangkok institution should be delighted by the launch of Pattaya Beer Garden.

Thai owner Ann Janoup and her Kiwi husband Peter unveiled the new venture on April 25 with the same concept as the Sukhumvit Soi 7 version ­– cheap drinks, good food and lots of unattached ladies keen to meet foreigners.

The new venue, which has the sea on three sides, is behind The Pier bar complex near the junction of Beach Road and Walking Street.

The Cheap Baron has made several forays to Fun Town to check out the copycat in its first 10 weeks. I am pleased to report that it has food and drink prices that would bring tears to a Bangkok bar owner’s eyes, a relaxed vibe, great music, pleasant staff and a lovely sea breeze wafting through a large area able to seat 350 people.

It is fair to say that Beach Road still has far more freelancers than Pattaya Beer Garden, though that might be no bad thing when one examines some of the grizzled veterans offering their services by the waterfront. Peter admits it will take time to persuade them to move out of their comfort zone but is using some innovative ideas to persuade them to do so.

The most imaginative is Somtam Corner, which is available free to any freelancer – or anyone else – wishing to rustle up every Thai girl’s favourite spicy salad. Teams have also been out in Pattaya encouraging girls to give the beer garden a try with some small financial incentives.

There are no bargirls, barfines or lady-drinks at the beer garden, which used some unusual promotions in its first two months. The “freelancer discount” allowed anyone bringing a single lady to the bar to claim a Bt100 discount on orders. And the “barfine discount” gave a Bt150 deduction to anyone recruiting a female companion from nearby beer bars.

“The model is the Bangkok Beer Garden, which is a very successful business, but we are trying to be more laid-back,” says Peter, who used to have the FLB Bar on Walking Street until he sold it three years ago.

“The Bangkok bar is a bit dark and dingy, but this one is bright and airy, with a nice sea breeze keeping everyone cool. We have been pleasantly surprised by our evening trade. A lot of people seem to be relaxing here before hitting the discos.

“It is a big bar that can seat 350 people, so it is quite deceptive. It can look quite empty even when there are 80 customers. We have already had a few nights when every table has been occupied.

“I am predicting it will be a great success and be part of the Pattaya scene for many years to come. Operationally, we broke even in the first month, which is a pretty amazing feat. It’s never happened with any other business I have been involved in. We have already built up some very staunch supporters.”

Peter says transforming an old wooden restaurant into a modern bar took a substantial investment. It has a large kitchen, a computerised billing system and five high-definition TVs playing rock videos.

The beer garden is also paying above market rates to its 41 staff because they cannot be barfined or accept drinks from customers.

Unusually, Peter admits he has received some complaints that drink prices are too low. “At Bt50 to Bt65 for bottled beer and Bt65 for top-shelf branded spirits, we are making a small but acceptable profit. If we continue to see the same volume of customers, I see no reason to raise prices.”

While it might have been launched as a gimmick, it seems that Somtam Corner is here to stay.

“It has been very popular with the ladies,” says Peter. “At first we had a member of staff making the somtam, but now we just let the girls make it themselves, as they all like different levels of spiciness.”

Although there has been pressure from some customers to introduce pool tables and televised sport, Peter is biding his time because he does not want the beer garden to be the same as so many other Pattaya bars. Personally, I hope he sticks to his guns – there is no need to threaten its relaxed atmosphere.

The beer garden runs from 10am until late and is building up a good reputation for its food, particularly its spicy Thai dishes at bargain prices.

Only time will tell whether it becomes an established freelancer venue to rival its Bangkok model, but the signs are that it will survive and prosper even without available ladies.

Edited by PattayaPete

Pattaya Beer Garden Website

Recently one of our customers decided to kill himself by jumping off the balcony of the bar. Three of our tiny female waitresses managed to stop this 6 footer before he could jump. I sat with him for an hour or so as his tale of life in fun city got more and more bizarre. Seems he had bar fined a girl the day before and then after an argument, dispatched her without paying for her services. He told me how all the Thais knew of this transgression and were out to kill him so he decided he may as well end it all himself. As we sat in the bar he pointed out Thai people (our staff actually) looking at their cell phones and told me they were all sending his photo to all the other Thais so they could find him and kill him.

Eventually I calmed him down and walked with him to the bar where the girl worked. We managed to find her and I asked her if there was a problem. She said (in Thai) that the guy was nuts and she didn't want anything to do with him but it would be nice if he gave her the 1500 baht he owed her. He duly paid up and I left him nursing a beer and looking much relieved.

Great work Pete, this guy obviously has mental problems and hopefully will go home. Thanks for saving him, I'm sure he'll be on the news soon though.

nice laid back report will definately visit in next couple of weeks bringing a few freinds as well see u soon take care

looking forward to stopping by when i come there in October

Your sure do get some right old nuts in Pattaya. but its nice you took time to sort things out with him and do the right thing and pay the girl.

Glad the bar is doing well . cheers.........................................

Sounds great mate and i hope to pop in when next in patts, all the best with everything............even the nutters................lol.

Hi Pete. thanks for the update, great to hear your doing so well, I think everyone should use the place as a start point for an evening, also guys should be encouaged to arrange to meet their barfines there. I know thats what I'll be doing. I wonder if the girls that end up in JP Bar will use it too.

See you in November.

Cheers,

DIRTY

Click Here To Help Pattaya Orphans

jizzflicker "I just wanna fill a wheel barrow up with jizz and tip it all over her head, while her sister spanks her with a dildo"

Bryan "What Colours your Dog"

LaaMok "I was bored once and had time to waste. i decided to try and unload without touching myself or rubbing, i think about 4 hours later, the yogurt truck crashed."

Recently one of our customers decided to kill himself by jumping off the balcony of the bar. Three of our tiny female waitresses managed to stop this 6 footer before he could jump.

Bryan, don't do it. Don't worry, I'll be back in Pats soon! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. Last May, my fellow BM's and I started every night at the Beer Garden. We saw some real cute FL's too. One girl had us practically tripping on our tongues. I feel totally gay now for not approaching her.

I love The Beer Garden and it will definately be my starting point for any evening out

Recently one of our customers decided to kill himself by jumping off the balcony of the bar. Three of our tiny female waitresses managed to stop this 6 footer before he could jump. I sat with him for an hour or so as his tale of life in fun city got more and more bizarre. Seems he had bar fined a girl the day before and then after an argument, dispatched her without paying for her services. He told me how all the Thais knew of this transgression and were out to kill him so he decided he may as well end it all himself. As we sat in the bar he pointed out Thai people (our staff actually) looking at their cell phones and told me they were all sending his photo to all the other Thais so they could find him and kill him.

Eventually I calmed him down and walked with him to the bar where the girl worked. We managed to find her and I asked her if there was a problem. She said (in Thai) that the guy was nuts and she didn't want anything to do with him but it would be nice if he gave her the 1500 baht he owed her. He duly paid up and I left him nursing a beer and looking much relieved. It's a funny old town.

Thanks for helping this man out of his mentally difficult possition Pete. It shows the kind of man that you are. A pure man with his heart in the right place willing to help an other human being, who has basicly lost track of his mental sentences.

Did you know the Pope works for us? Well actually our trainee manager is named Pope. You will see him looking officially important most days between 3 pm and 11 pm. As he is the official bar photographer, he would be really happy if you asked him to take your photo and if you do, you could end up being displayed right here. You know everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame. It would be helpful and greatly increase your chances of getting into an update if you are accompanied by an attractive Thai girl.

With a name of that, you can`t go wrong :) People who see this man they could be seeing this person taking a photo of them as a sign from heavens and be happy with their walk of fame instead of wanting to stay unknown. :D

I'll leave you with a very nice review that Baron Bonk, a well known Bangkok commentator wrote about the beer garden. If you want to subscribe to the Baron's newsletter you can do so at www.baronbonk.com

This review does do you well Peter and I`m sure that when people like Baron Bonk will write such possitive things about your beer garden, you can`t go wrong. Many people, who read it want to see it with their own eyes and there lays another key to a glorious future for the business that you`re running mate.

Take care and keep the good fortune going. Don`t change a lot, because your bar is running well just the way that it is now.

Cheers,

Adrie.

Good decision regarding the pool tables. looking forward to checking out your place on the 24th. Sounds like you have made a great bar.

Hey Pete, I was there the end of June, have to tell you, love the place, love the feel, the vibe, everything was perfect. I did go in for dinner one night around 7PM and yes it was quite busy so my food took a while, but to be honest, didn't really matter as I sat at the bar and meet a couple people, had some great priced drinks and was kicken back.

It is funny as at times it looks empty but you wonder around and you are right there are still alot of people there.

Good news about the pool tables, the only way I would say yes i if you could have them in a private area like the BBK Beer Gardens, but I honestly wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks and looking to seeing all the FL's when I am back in November..

crazy_gman

Keep the updates coming Pete. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the beer garden.

Keep the updates coming Pete. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the beer garden.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

I have been here a few times now, the place is great and the staff very friendly I will be going back a few more times before I head back to the UK, keep up the good work Pete

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

Hi Pete,

Maybe you should have some photos of the Pope blessing the place... :LMAO1:

Glad to hear no pool tables... :P

Keep the updates coming... :Number1a:

Every day one or two visitors express their amazement that we exist but they have never heard of us. I've been spending plenty of money on advertising and we are currently on 15 baht buses, in Pattaya People and the Walking Street Journal, After Dark magazine, The East of Siam magazine and have handed out about a gizillion flyers.

I do not know if you are allowed to iluminate the writing of your nameplate shown in the picture. But if so, people could locate the Beer Garden after dark. Maybe they drop in the same evening, maybe they remember the next day. Imagine how many people are on their way to Walking Street every evening, you need to get their attention. No matter if riding a bathbus, motorbike or on foot!

web15.jpg

Looking forward to checking this place out in November. Sounds like a great way to start the night off.

P4P. C4C. Soft Club. Skank Club. Club Bareback. Because if it's worth fucking it's worth fucking properly.

Back in employment. Korando's Bar, Soi Buakhao 15. 

Webp.net-resizeimage hh.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage bs.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage rm.jpg

Bagel and His Adventures in Thailand

My Day Working At Quicky Bar. A Romantic Encounter In A Sattahip Warehouse. Mr Pringles & His Adventures In Thailand.

Went there a couple of times last month. As it's low season, it was pretty quiet.

Pluses: not too loud music! Great place to have a talk with mates and / or teerak(s). Good service. Didn't sample the food. Only a few freelancers, I picked up one and she was great.

Minus: can't think of any. More ladies welcome, but that's the season I guess.

Men want to fuck many women. Women want to fuck the best provider. Only in the paysex scene both goals are met.

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped in last night. None of the photos prepared me for how big it is! Good food and nice breeze. I recommend at least one visit.

probe