IGNORED

dublin to bkk,via AMS-tight transit time at AMS

antonius100

hi,it's a while since i've transited through Amsterdam and i've kinda forgotten the layout/procedures there.

My proposed flights are as below ,this allows for a 1hr 10 min transit time at AMS-which seems exceptionally tight to me.

OUTBOUND - Fri, 28 Nov 2014
Aer Lingus
EI604
  09:35 DUB Dublin Departure 1h 35 12:10 AMS Amsterdam Destination     Connect in airport Connection 1h 10
China Airlines
CI66
  13:20 AMS Amsterdam Departure 11h 25 06:45 (+1) BKK Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Destination Arrives: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 Journey duration: 14h 10

I know my bag would be checked all the way through to bkk- but i doubt the China Airlines flight would be delayed for me,just because say,my aer lingus flight from Dublin was delayed/late(more chance of this in late Nov' due to fog/bad weather etc).

i once transited through C de Gaulle in wintertime with an expected 1 hr 30 mins transit time ( and with a booking/baggage checked in all the way from Dublin to BKK with Air France). the first flight was late arriving(20 mins approx) due to fog- i missed  the AF flight to bkk and they put us on a kenyan airways flight to bkk via hongkong (lost about 12 hours hanging around in C de G).

anyway, i just want to know if that transit time in AMS is doable as i can't remember the airport layout- it just seems very tight to me.

regards

ps-the proposed flights would be booked through a ticketing website (eg;ebookers.ie)- not via the airlines websites.

anyway, i just want to know if that transit time in AMS is doable as i can't remember the airport layout- it just seems very tight to me.

regards

ps-the proposed flights would be booked through a ticketing website (eg;ebookers.ie)- not via the airlines websites.

Assuming your flight lands on time or is delayed by no more than 45 minutes, it is entirely doable. A longer delay than that, it's probably not (but you never know, the connecting flight may be delayed as well). If it is possible to get an earlier flight out of DUB, then go for it for safety's sake.

Should an earlier flight not be available that morning, you could consider an overnight stay in Amsterdam. I know that involves extra time and expense, but a day-before evening departure from DUB wouldn't throw your schedule off track. Besides, if you should miss the China Airlines flight, you'd probably be looking at an overnight stay in Amsterdam anyway, although the hotel room would be at the airlines' expense.

If you do decide on the morning Aer Lingus- China Airlines combination, try for an aisle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible. Alert the cabin crew to the fact you have a tight connection and need to de-plane ASAP. I have no eperience with Aer Lingus, but other airlines have been obliging in this respect. It's in the airline's interest that you make the connecting flight.

Good luck!

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

if you should miss the China Airlines flight, you'd probably be looking at an overnight stay in Amsterdam anyway, although the hotel room would be at the airlines' expense.

Wouldn't be to sure as you're using two different airlines .

thanks guys

i think i'll play safe and take the earlier flight.

i'll time my transit progress for future ref.

regards

AMS very similar to CDG gate to gate.    But very wise considering all the new security about phones and laptops!

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

I do that trip all the time and always make it no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have done the China Airlines flight from Amsterdam, coming from London, gave myself a bit more time than you.

But what I do remember about Schipol, is that we landed on one of the runways and seemed to be taxiing for ages before we got to gate, the runways layout seemed vast.

The plane may land at 12.10 but you could still be taxiing at 12.30.

As long as ticket is booked under one referance number, transit time is accepted by the airlines and you'll be covered by the EU legeslation in the event of delays but if you have booked  Irland - AMS, AMS - BKK as a separate tickets you could possible face a no show in AMS if plane is delayed more than 30-40 minut.
My advice to get thru immigration/security is contact ground staff and ask for assistance.

As you are arriving and departing from non Schengen countries there is no immigration to do. Security will almost certainly be at the gate. Don't pick up duty free at Dublin as there are transfer Liquid check points now at Schiphol and you'll have to stop at one of these which may delay you.

As has been said if you land on the Polderbaan Runway it is a twenty minute taxi to the gate which isn't good but there is no way of predicting if this will happen.

There is a 99% chance you'll land on the D wing and China take off from E, F or G generally. Worst case scenario is you have a twenty minute brisk walk ahead of you.

If the gods are with you it will be a breeze.

I've transited at Schipol four times in the last two years.

It's easily do-able if you only have carry-on luggage and your first flight arrives on time.  But I'm not so sure about the time it would take to get your checked bag off one aircraft and onto the next.  That said, the Schipol staff are very efficient, and if your bag missed the onward flight, it is down to the airline to get it to you at your destination.

You will have to go through security again (so no bottles of duty-free), but this has always been at the departure gate, where I found the staff to be polite and professional.

It is tight but they will know you are connecting as well. Thinking of trying this route for my next trip as getting fed up with Etihad

Went few times , better now , before I had to check in again in Amsterdam which nearly had me missed the flight , now you get two tickets in Dublin instead of one . Baggage might be late but you will get it on the next day at your Hotel/Guesthouse , don't worry .

Always found quick at Amsterdam but would be very wary of these new security checks to new to say what effect it may have am planning to give myself at least an extra hour this trip.

Regards

mrjd

You will have to go through security again (so no bottles of duty-free), but this has always been at the departure gate, where I found the staff to be polite and professional.

You can buy duty free at other airports and transit through Schiphol but you must have it rechecked at transit Liquid stations where it will be rebagged.

Oh forgot to add that airlines lie about how long flights take. Your Dublin to Schiphol flight has probably had fifteen minutes added to the actual time so it looks like they are rarely late. According to airline timetables it now takes longer to fly from Schiphol to London than it did fifty years ago and I for one do not think that is true. So your hour and ten minutes is more like an hour twenty five mins.

Archived