Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Anyone up for a motobike trip through Myamar?

Bionic

Hey guys,

not sure if this is the right place to post but I will give it a shot here for a starter.

I'm heading to Bangkok on 8. October and after celebrating my birthday and spending a few nights in LOS I'm considering flying to Yangon or Mandalay.

I'd like to travel in either direction, if I fly to Yangon I'd like to get a bike there and travel up to Mandalay with several stops (or opposite). I didn't organize anything yet

and I don't know if it's possible to rent out a bike one way. That might be one of the biggest problems, plus I watched a video where I was informed that

motorbikes aren't allowed in Yangon. Howerever I will do a bit more research and I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in a trip like this? I have

done Vietnam on a scooter alone which was fun and crazy but I believe it's more fun to have at least a second driver around.

The tour would start around 14 or 15 October and last  8-10 days. If anyone is interested and has driving experience, feel free to contact me or post here and if anyone of you has

done this kind of trip in Myamar already, I would appreciate some information.

Thanks

Bionic

Sounds brilliant. I'd love to do that. Hope it's possible. You have to do a tr if you do it :)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Sounds brilliant. I'd love to do that. Hope it's possible. You have to do a tr if you do it :)

you are welcome to join! Will keep things posted here and if I find several people to join, there will definitly be a tr ;)

This guy might be able to help you.

http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/

Yeah, bikes were banned in Yangon previously. Can't tell you about the current situation.

Seems like a good guy and he offers nice service and bikes but prices are not what I have in mind. The 15 day trip is $3900 per person, so I assume the 1 week tour is around $2000. I'm sure we can do it for half the price without having a cut in accomodation or fun. I might write him an Email to get some information about his maps anyway. Thanks sinbad

Could be interested...... and will follow this topic.

you are welcome to join! Will keep things posted here and if I find several people to join, there will definitly be a tr ;)

Seems like a good guy and he offers nice service and bikes but prices are not what I have in mind. The 15 day trip is $3900 per person, so I assume the 1 week tour is around $2000. I'm sure we can do it for half the price without having a cut in accomodation or fun. I might write him an Email to get some information about his maps anyway. Thanks sinbad

You should be able to do it even cheaper than $1,000. I think $3900 is way out of line. I will be taking my bike from Cambodia into Myanmar in December or January for a week to 10 days and do not plan on spending more than about $700 - $800. Maybe even less. Depends on what kind of style I want to travel.

URL=http://www.ladyboyspattaya.com/information/ladyboylinks.html]lbfucker.gif[/url]

hmm sounds fun

probably be able to take a bike registered in your own name from Thailand

which would interest me more 

Member since Dec 06.

I rented a bike in Mandalay for day trips before.  The guided tours seem way to expensive to me.  It is not difficult to go around without a guide.

No bikes in Yangon except a government official here and there so probably can't rent anywhere nearby.

No disrespect intended to PA bikers, but I think you'd find more information at GTRiders.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forumdisplay.php/128-Myanmar?s=035132d5d524ab59695e163a6a13bc40

You should be able to do it even cheaper than $1,000. I think $3900 is way out of line. I will be taking my bike from Cambodia into Myanmar in December or January for a week to 10 days and do not plan on spending more than about $700 - $800. Maybe even less. Depends on what kind of style I want to travel.

yeah you are right, I took a bike from Hanoi to Phnom Phen and spend less than 1000$. Can't remember exactly but wasn't much moire than 600-800$. I bought the bike and resold it later tho.

I rented a bike in Mandalay for day trips before.  The guided tours seem way to expensive to me.  It is not difficult to go around without a guide.

No bikes in Yangon except a government official here and there so probably can't rent anywhere nearby.

Thanks for the Yangon info. Perhaps the bikes must be rented somewhere outside of the city than.

No disrespect intended to PA bikers, but I think you'd find more information at GTRiders.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forumdisplay.php/128-Myanmar?s=035132d5d524ab59695e163a6a13bc40

Will check it out, thanks !

At the moment it's not the place to go have problem there curfew ther at the moment

At the moment it's not the place to go have problem there curfew ther at the moment

Well the curfew is just in Mandaly, that's not to bad yocky. I dream of traveling around the globe by motorbike and I want to include countries as north korea and other unreal places. A simple curfew can't hold me back ;) There is no need to stay in Mandalay for to long, but it's 3 month to go till October, there might be no curfew by than anyway. Things in asia always change quickly for the better or worse..

How did you go in Vietnam with a motorbike license?

Unless you have a WP and speak VN it's almost impossible - Top Gear spoofed it.

Also not permitted for a foreigner to own a bike/car and last I heard you can't ride in on your Thai registered bike,

Things may change as the ASEAN Agreement comes into play, but.................

We did the trip Hanoi/Halong/HCMC on scoots which we bought but were not in our names, without insurance or DLs.

Edit - just noticed you're in HCMC, so don't you know more about all that than me?   :WinkGrin1:

I gathered the Vietnam trip was done illegally as its not easy to get a Vietnam driver's license. I got mine in 2009 and it runs out Nov this year and went to renew it and they've shifted the goal posts again. Instead of $1.50 its costing me $150 for another 10 year one.

Mind you thats cheap because if you get caught without one after injuring a local Viet in an accident its straight to jail for 10yrs or 20yrs if they die. Thats a communist country for you.

I gathered the Vietnam trip was done illegally as its not easy to get a Vietnam driver's license. I got mine in 2009 and it runs out Nov this year and went to renew it and they've shifted the goal posts again. Instead of $1.50 its costing me $150 for another 10 year one.

Mind you thats cheap because if you get caught without one after injuring a local Viet in an accident its straight to jail for 10yrs or 20yrs if they die. Thats a communist country for you.

$150 for 10 years is dirt cheap surely?

Yes, we were completely illegal..................but very lucky - never got stopped once in 5 weeks BTW.

A lot of people watched Top Gear and said I want to do that. But its on the Govt website about the jail terms if you get caught. They've not long stopped using the public firing squad for executions for murderers and drug dealers and smugglers switching to lethal injections but the gov't want to bring back the firing squad as its a bigger deterrent than injections.

A lot of people watched Top Gear and said I want to do that. But its on the Govt website about the jail terms if you get caught. They've not long stopped using the public firing squad for executions for murderers and drug dealers and smugglers switching to lethal injections but the gov't want to bring back the firing squad as its a bigger deterrent than injections.

Maybe someone should start a petition to get Jeremy to do it again then............but his 'slope' quip might rule that out.

It was a great TV series which inspired many people, but obviously a lot of it was faked and they had a huge support team.

Well Top Gear is commercial, they have money, a camera team and huge support behind their back. I bet the countries invite them to ride on their roads.

Well you either give a shit or you can't do the trip, it's simple as that. I bought my bike of a Vietnamese bloke in Hanoi. He sells many bikes on craigslist. God knows in which name it was registered, but at least I had a license card. There are police controls all over the highway one and I got stopped once. That was funny since the guy didn't speak a single word English and I didn't speak a single word Vietnamese. I didn't got what he want, so I gave him the license card I had. He gave up and let me go. I met other travelers on the road, one got stopped for overspeeding. And no, also no horror scenario here. He paid like 75-100$ if I remember right, but that's fair enough for a foreigner overspeeding with a bike not licensed on his name I believe. I also only had my EU driver license. Have in mind, we still talk about SEA, show me the police officer who can't be bribed !

You wanna know how I crossed the broder to Cambodia? I was a bit worried about that, but..

I got my passport stamped out at the Vietnamese side, walked down to my bike, drove over so the Cambodian side, got stamped in, took my bike and tried to find the police officers to check out my papers and bike. Once I found them (at least I guess they were officals..) they looked at me like they have spotted an alien species when I start talking to them. I than drove through without anyone giving a fluent fuck about it..

Archived