Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Beggars and the poor

Phrrkh Hard

Had an episode by Jomtien beach a couple of years ago. Two kids hanging around begging(not sure if they were thai or khmer), noiced them later giving money to parents. Parents were obviously drunk, kids hungry. No price for guessing what all the money went to in that family. Next day gave the kids a pile of food from a vendor at the beach telling them to eat it right there, when they came by begging again. As the skinny kids wolfed the food down, i got up and discretely glanced over at the parents. They were literally fuming.... Guess they were thinking about the idiot crazy farang wasting good money on food that should have gone to another Lao Khao. Can only hope the kids didt get a beating. Well, at least they had a full belly.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give some money when I can, why? Because why not?

It literally doesn't matter, this happens in every country.

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

On 2nd road there was a scruffy mother with a 12 month old kid. That was three years ago. Seen the same woman a couple of month bag at the same place. Guess what? The kid hasn't grown up.

On 2nd road there was a scruffy mother with a 12 month old kid. That was three years ago. Seen the same woman a couple of month bag at the same place. Guess what? The kid hasn't grown up.

Exactly. Most are scams of one sort or another. Giving them money only encourages them to continue being a nuisance.

I usually let the girl that is with me at that moment decide if someone need it or if it is fake . 

this...

Never give anything to Beggars. Never will.

I don't either.

I used to give years ago but now don't even bother. Talk about scams, especially women cradling infants. If you give money to such people, it only encourages and perpetuates the exploitation of these infants by roving begging gangs.

On a trip last August I was walking around the area near (the former) Tim's Boutique. My flight had arrived in the morning and when I got to Pattaya my room was not ready yet. So I had to waste a few hours wandering around.

Anyways, I stood there on second road near the hotel and wondering where to go. All of a sudden I feel someone touching my jeans, and I look down and some kid was motioning that he wanted money (I think he might have had a cup). I shook my head quickly and walked away. He looked like some random kid, not particularly disheveled or the like.

There's no way I would have given that or any other random kid walking up to me money. Ever. If that makes me evil and heartless so be it. I'm just one of millions of tourists to Thailand. No one gives a toss anyways.

One of the great things about Pattaya compared to other countries, is that people are relatively free from hordes of beggar kids hassling them on every street and corner of the city. From time to time you'll see these kids coming up to you on the beach as you sit there and try to eat. But nothing like some other cities.

There's absolutely no way I'm going to encourage kids to beg and bother strangers, and ruin it for everyone else.

Seems to be a turn on for some girls to see the guy they are with give to the needy... Seems to make them think you are good guy and 'different'.

Actually, I'd say that in some cases, it's the guy that likes to show off to his barfine (and nearby Thais) that he's a 'good man,' jai dee man, unlike those sex tourists. He'll make a show out of giving money to a begging woman, small child, or handicapped guy. 

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of years back. A mate came over for 2 weeks and we got pissed for a week. I hadn't shaven and looked I just crawled out of a bin. Going on the piss again my mate went inside a 7-11 to buy something. I sat on the step outside with a can of ale in my hand. A muslim bloke walked and put 500 baht note in my hand. I had 25K in my pocket. He was gone before I had time to give it back. My favorite BG had a good drink and tip.

Couple of years back. A mate came over for 2 weeks and we got pissed for a week. I hadn't shaven and looked I just crawled out of a bin. Going on the piss again my mate went inside a 7-11 to buy something. I sat on the step outside with a can of ale in my hand. A muslim bloke walked and put 500 baht note in my hand. I had 25K in my pocket. He was gone before I had time to give it back. My favorite BG had a good drink and tip.

That'd be embarrassing. :GoldenSmile1:

Robw

like the others say I let my girl decide who to give to . thru her church group she has been involved in a few charities and seems to have a handle on who is genuine and who's taking the piss

I used to frequent soi 7 for quite a while and was always met by the little guy, I'm sure most people know who I'm talking about, he knew after a few beers I became increasingly generous (my fault not his) Our last meeting I gave him 20 baht and he sat there sulking and refused to go because he wanted 100, so what did I do? I took the 20 back and told him "that's you're lot buddy, never again" and I never have.

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

I was always of the opinion never give to beggars.

In the UK in Manchester a few beggars in the city that are alcoholics drug users etc sit all day begging until they have enough for next fix, always I ignored them until one lady I was with bought one a hot drink and a sandwich and told me you don't know the story behind them being on the streets never judge show kindness the following week the same beggar was in the newspaper as he picked up a lost purse with a single mothers money for kids Xmas presents handed it in ! I was shocked and the mum was pictured with the same man at the same spot... That weekend everyone gave him money I asked how he came on the streets he had a mental illness after a breakup in his marriage lost his job house wife kids turned to booze after that... Never judge we are all gods children and showing compassion is now something I do regularly and always give a few pounds to beggars as you never know could be you one day !!!

That's weird about Muslim bloke as in the UK the swarm of Romanian beggars dress up with scarfs on heads hang about outside Muslim meat / grocers with babies begging they make a fortune pretending to be Muslim .

I asked one chap why do all the people give he said it's part of Islam if you see someone suffering you must help or it's a sin... Hence the catholic Romanian exploited that cleverly disguised as a Muslim .... I only give the real beggars

i some times give a little money , but 1 kid on Soi 6 that some times comes and beg

and i pulled out my wad of cash to give him like 100 bt  not much for me at all ,but "Ice" (sexy in the city) said no w8 i get a 20 she said because the smallest i had was 100

and then she came with 20 bt of her money and gave me to give to the kid but he didn't want the 20 bt note , he had seen my wad of cash ,

i always taught beggars cant be choosers ( or how that things goes)

and after that i have never giving him any money again even he showed that he was hungry with his hands i said no no

I can't get countdown to work :/

I have always wanted to meet one of the homeless farang, buy them a few beers and get the lowdown on Pattaya. Are there many floating around still?

Countdown Clocks

If you want to help, give to a charity. If you want to give to beggars, up to you. Suggest you should read this first though...

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/09/giving_money_to_child_beggars_don_t_do_it.html

The thing is i don't trust charitys/org's never know tat the money really goes to what you want to it to go to,

even red cross had some scandal , with vd/big boss bought cars and shit for money ppl have given

thats why i dont give to chars /org simply i dont trust them ,

i rather almost give some more cash to the strugling poor in thailand, they try to help them self but dont get to go salary/ money

I can't get countdown to work :/

The thing is i don't trust charitys/org's never know tat the money really goes to what you want to it to go to,

even red cross had some scandal , with vd/big boss bought cars and shit for money ppl have given

thats why i dont give to chars /org simply i dont trust them ,

i rather almost give some more cash to the strugling poor in thailand, they try to help them self but dont get to go salary/ money

Correct. There are some sketchy charities. There are some foster schools in Pattaya that would be good though. If i'm walking down a soi off the beaten tourist path and I see someone in need then sure, giving to them would not be split up with the thai mafia. Most tourists don't know the difference however and do not realize the problem/culture they are creating.

If you want to give to needy children. Father Ray's on Sukhumvit Rd do a lot of great work. Make a donation directly to them and you can be certain your money will do some good and be used as you intended.

Never give to those scrounging in the street.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a couple of scavengers that go around 2nd road, LK and Buakhao pulling stuff out of bins. My girl told me they have a nice house and make good money scavenging bins. No need to give them money.

I do always give 20 Baht to the guys that come around the bars with no legs. They can't fake that.

The women with kids on the street I'm less sure about. Sometimes give them 5 or 10 Baht.

There are a couple of scavengers that go around 2nd road, LK and Buakhao pulling stuff out of bins. My girl told me they have a nice house and make good money scavenging bins. No need to give them money.

I do always give 20 Baht to the guys that come around the bars with no legs. They can't fake that.

The women with kids on the street I'm less sure about. Sometimes give them 5 or 10 Baht.

Yes they can, they all have artificial legs and they walk normally after begging.

All Pattaya beggars are part of criminal gangs, if not they have to pay "protection" fee to the gangs.

on my last trip i was at jomtien beach with some thai friends and a russian guy was being friendly to us so we invited him to sit down. he was paying the girls compliments etc. and we were about to leave and had half a bottle of leo left (the big one from 7/11) so gave it to him out of generosity. at this point i'm thinking he's just a russian tourist, he was like 'are you sure? thank you you're so kind' but then completely out of the blue asks me for money and starts following us down the street begging me. i felt so bad for him i didn't know what to do but luckily the thai guy i was with knew the situation and told him to go away. later on only did i realize when they told me he must have spent all of his money and is now stuck there in thailand

I have always wanted to meet one of the homeless farang, buy them a few beers and get the lowdown on Pattaya. Are there many floating around still?

thats makes 2 of us seen it on the news about a few homeless staying here mostly on the beach i think

If you want to give some money out in Pattaya - give it to the Father Ray Orphanage - at least you know it will be doing some good.

Thanks for the tip, but...

The Father Ray Foundation takes care of 850 orphaned, abused and disadvantaged children and students with disabilities.

How will donating to Father Ray help

the child beggars?

the child street sellers?

the adult beggars?

the one one legged beggars?

As far as I understand, donating to Father Ray doesn't help any of those, but it helps yourself feeling good because you know that you are helping some other kids with disabilities.

Archived