IGNORED

Thai drivers license

Burgos123

whats the time before and after your 5 tear licence expires do you have. my birthday corresponds to songkran [april 13th]] last tie i renewed it around the 23rd april. have they changed the rules. by the way they renewed it for 5 yrs till my next birthday so i got almost 6 years

and do you have to do the computer test if it has expired or just colour and reaction test

As I recall from reading the big sign with the rules on it at the LTO, you have a 30 day window before the 5 year DL expires in which to renew it. So if your birthday is April 13th, you would be able to renew beginning about March 13th. You don't want to let it expire without renewing.

If you let the 5 year expire before renewing it, you have to start over with all the tests, including the computer knowledge test and the practical skills test. You would also get a 1 year DL, and get a new 5 year DL the next year.

Every time you renew you have to take the eye and reflex tests.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still no answers to my questions

I answered your questions in the post right above the one where you complained that no one answered your questions. 

sorry my mistake  THANKS

Happy to help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just sit there and wait for my licence for bike and car. I extend my old licence to the next 5 years.

What I need

1. Original Passport

2. Copy first page and copy immigration card and visa stamp.

3. Certification of resistance

4. Copy of old driver license

What I do

1. Fill out office paper with my name and phone number

2. Get a number and wait for tests.

2a. Test check color red green ..

2b. Test reaction for using a car breaks.

3b. Distance check

4b. Watch video for 20 minutes.

Finit

Pay 1060 THB for bike and car

And wait for make picture.

( No luck today have to wait 1 hour for finit lunch,)

That's all

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to ride around on a scooter with a British CBT or do you need the "A" motorcycle stamp?

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to ride around on a scooter with a British CBT or do you need the "A" motorcycle stamp?

I don't know what a CBT is, but in order to legally drive a motorbike in Thailand you have to have either:

1) A Driving License from your home country that allows you to drive motorbikes, accompanied by a International Driving Permit.

or

2) A Thai Driving License for motorbikes. 

Also, the IDP is only good for 30 days. If you are here longer than 30 days you are supposed to get a TDL. That part I'd be very surprised to see enforced by the cops unless you were already in trouble over something else and they were just looking for nit-picky offenses to pile on. But, if you got in an accident I bet your insurance company would be all over it. They will find any reason they can to deny covering a claim.

Archived