IGNORED

Thai drivers license

Burgos123

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect example of someone giving out wrong information and having little to no knowledge at all.

Qualifying requirements:•Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of ageIf the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).What you will need when applying for your Thai driver’s license:•If you cannot read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa  http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/driving.html

Secondly if one does have valid visa, and licence from home country, there is no watching video or theory tests or driving tests. There are a few silly tests to pass for colorblindness and another 2 or 3.

I got my first one a couple of years ago with 30 day visa exempt stamp.

The first DL they give you is a 1-year provisional license, then for the 5-year license, one needs a proper visa which makes an extension of stay possible, i.e. think 1 year visa.

I have a Philippine license that has endorsements for

both car and motorcycle. AAA here in Philippines says

the International license they will sell me has both

just like my current license. I just need to carry

both licenses and I will be good to go in Thailand

as long as neither license is expired. Seems like

the best way to go unless I move there.

Does a international driving permit allow you to ride a scooter in Thailand ?

You will need to do separate paperwork for a motor bike and need to pass a written and practical test.

This costs extra, and will appear on your 1 year Provisional TDL.

The international permit will allow to drive a scooter if the following conditions are met:

- category A (motorcycles) is checked (or subcategory A1).

- you carry the original home country license with you (the IDP is only a translation for the cops and the original is still required)

In most cases, the IDP alone will suffice, but be advised that they can ask for the original and fine you if you can't show it.

Another noteworthy detail is that if your home car license also authorizes you to drive smaller motorcycle, make sure you get it inscribed on the international permit, there are often categories A1 (less than 125cc) and A2 (more than 125cc).

Then in Thailand, these IDPs can be converted into full licenses for motorcyles of any size.

If one comes from a country that is very anal about motorcycle licenses (i.e. long and expensive to get), this can be a fast and cheap way to get it, because you will be allowed to drive MC in your home country using the Thai permit and an IDP issued in Thailand.

Note that Thai IDPs are, AFAIK, not issued for one year provisional licenses.

You will need to do separate paperwork for a motor bike and need to pass a written and practical test.

This costs extra, and will appear on your 1 year Provisional TDL.

Thai car and motorcycle driving licenses are completely separate, you get 2 separate laminated licenses, one for car and another for motorcycles.

My first one year license for both car and bike in Thailand was on a 30 day visa waiver.  I used the house book from a friend to get the residency letter from Jomptien immigration, she also went into the clinic for my doctors report for me, didn`t need to see me!  Used the international driving permit at the test center and only had to do the basic reaction, colour test etc.

After the one year I applied in Issan for the five year license and had to do the simple tests again but received my license in less than an hour.  This time on a long visa and with my own yellow house book.

Interested to read that I can use my Thai licenses in UK to drive there as long as I have a IDP from Thailand.  This will make it much easier for me as I only have the old paper one which I think is now obsolete. Anyone know how and where you get a IDP in Thailand?

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thai car and motorcycle driving licenses are completely separate, you get 2 separate laminated licenses, one for car and another for motorcycles.

Thanks, handsome man...lol

Was about to get my Thai car license(provisional)...I dont have an International MC license, then my "Thai Father-in law" passed away,

just after he signed the proof of residency forms.....so the licenses became unimportant.

My first one year license for both car and bike in Thailand was on a 30 day visa waiver.  I used the house book from a friend to get the residency letter from Jomptien immigration, she also went into the clinic for my doctors report for me, didn`t need to see me!  Used the international driving permit at the test center and only had to do the basic reaction, colour test etc.

After the one year I applied in Issan for the five year license and had to do the simple tests again but received my license in less than an hour.  This time on a long visa and with my own yellow house book.

Interested to read that I can use my Thai licenses in UK to drive there as long as I have a IDP from Thailand.  This will make it much easier for me as I only have the old paper one which I think is now obsolete. Anyone know how and where you get a IDP in Thailand?

You can get it at the same place where your Thai licenses were issued (DLT).

You can get it at the same place where your Thai licenses were issued (DLT).

Thank you for that, I will get one if and when I go back to the UK and save myself any hassle when I get there.  Next time I am passing, maybe I will go in and see what the form is for getting one and how much they cost.

I normally rent at motobike when in Patts but I only have a danish license for a car so I have been getting tickets when stopped by the police.

Last time a Scottish guy told me that he had a Thai license and that I could get one fairly easy. Now I am getting ready to leave for Patts again in a month and I have been trying to find information about getting this license, but it seems like it is not possible to get on a tourist visa. 

Is it possible?

just get an international licence before you come

you wont be able to get it on a 30 day visa, but you will if you apply for a double entry before you come.

get a 12 month first

it will take you a day to get it

check this artical out

http://pattayaguide.org/applying-for-a-5-year-driving-licence-and-checklist-in-pattaya-2014

- You can get a 1 year thai driving licence with a 30 days VOA. But when you'll renew it you will have only 1 year. With a non-imigrant visa, you'll get a 5 years extension.

- You can use an international driving licence only if you have the "A" stamp

If you are resident the thai driving licence is mendatory but if you are coming for hollidays, forget it ! Dont rent a motorbike, use taxi / bahtbus:

- too muh traffic in Pattaya nowadays, you might have an accident

- too many police checkpoints during the day, you'll be fined everyday

- too many DUI checkpoint in night

The time when it was possible in Pattaya to drive and drunk on a motorbike without a proper driving licence is over !

It will only permit you to drive the same vehicles that your UK licence allows.

I think now the residence cert issue may be a bit more difficult. Under the new regime, I have heard a number of stories that Pattaya Immigration office is doing everything by the book at the moment.

No need to worry, the old paper licence will still be valid, unless you have passed 70 years old then you will need a doctors letter to get an extension.

- You can get a 1 year thai driving licence with a 30 days VOA. But when you'll renew it you will have only 1 year. With a non-imigrant visa, you'll get a 5 years extension.

- You can use an international driving licence only if you have the "A" stamp

If you are resident the thai driving licence is mendatory but if you are coming for hollidays, forget it ! Dont rent a motorbike, use taxi / bahtbus:

- too muh traffic in Pattaya nowadays, you might have an accident

- too many police checkpoints during the day, you'll be fined everyday

- too many DUI checkpoint in night

The time when it was possible in Pattaya to drive and drunk on a motorbike without a proper driving licence is over !

Thankfully!

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from my trip and I made license for motorcycle and the other one for cars.

It was quite easy, I had 1 year O-visa and international license, I made those thia licenses in Hua Hin (Cha Am).

First a doctor's certificate, one for motor cycle and one for car, it was about 80 bath. I didn't saw the doctor and it took about 2-3 minutes.

I needed also couple of photos.

Then to Hua Hin immigration to make resident certificate with a firend who quarantee that I live at his address and 1000 bath for those papers.

After that we drove to Cha Am where the driving license bureau is located. There I need to make 3 test, one for sight where I needed to say which colour the officer was pointing (red, green and yellow), one for reaction where need to lift right foot from accelration pedal to brake pedal after green light has turned to red and finally a test where I needed to adjust two stick in line using ropes and then everything was ok. I addition a lot of copies of pass port, Finnish license, international license etc. The whole thing took about 3 hours including driving from Hua Hin to Cha Am and back and 2-3 beers at beach in Cha Am. So not too bad.

I think now the residence cert issue may be a bit more difficult. Under the new regime, I have heard a number of stories that Pattaya Immigration office is doing everything by the book at the moment.

Don`t need to worry anymore about any residence certificate as I have had a yellow house book for a couple of years and that covers me instead. 

Don`t need to worry anymore about any residence certificate as I have had a yellow house book for a couple of years and that covers me instead.

Except that the yellow book is not accepted any more to get or renew a Driving Licence, for a long time already. They will ask you a Residence Certificate, as to every other farang or foreigner.

Congratulations.

However I dare say the vast majority of Pattaya tourists do not have, would be unable to have, or even know what one of those is.

Just wanted to back up what Furryman was posting. He is correct. Ignore the post with a link is to a consulate website. Thai consulates don't know shit about driving licenses.

Last time I was renewing mine there was a sign at the entrance (in English) that said you could get a 1 year license with a Tourist Visa but a longer stay visa (Non-O, ED, extension of stay for retirement or marriage etc.) was needed to renew it to a 5 year. You could renew a 1 year for another 1 year but still need a different visa (or extension of stay) for the 5 year.

As also reported people have said that they managed to get one on a 30 day visa exempt entry. I don't think this is supposed to happen but if it works so much the better.

Except that the yellow book is not accepted any more to get or renew a Driving Licence, for a long time already. They will ask you a Residence Certificate, as to every other farang or foreigner.

How long is a long time already?  I have used mine this year, February!

How long is a long time already?  I have used mine this year, February!

I thought it was from last year already, but looking on the net the older I can find is this topic on ThaiVisa from March 21 this year : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/?p=6224415

It seems to be Pattaya only and I know of people who couldn't use their Yellow Book for a DL renewal just 1 month ago.

I thought it was from last year already, but looking on the net the older I can find is this topic on ThaiVisa from March 21 this year : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/?p=6224415

It seems to be Pattaya only and I know of people who couldn't use their Yellow Book for a DL renewal just 1 month ago.

Used mine in Sakon Nakorn province but do know that each area seems to have their own interpritation of the rules.  I am going to the office soon because I want to check up on IDP from Thailand so I will check with them about this as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I was really counting on the 5 year extension and if that is not possible on a tourist visa I am not sure it is worth the trouble!

. I done my 5 year drivers licence on a tourist visa ,but not in pattaya I went up country ,much easer got stamp from immigration payed $500 baht ,watched one hour video in thai and did colour test bobs your uncle all done

whats the time before and after your 5 tear licence expires do you have. my birthday corresponds to songkran [april 13th]] last tie i renewed it around the 23rd april. have they changed the rules. by the way they renewed it for 5 yrs till my next birthday so i got almost 6 years

and do you have to do the computer test if it has expired or just colour and reaction test

any holes a goal

Archived