IGNORED

What you must know before renting bike or a car, newbie checklist

FTS

FTS is trying to help....its too late sat in a Thai hospital ER waiting for permission from your home insurance company for a life changing operation.....as i recently experienced in the hospital opposite soi 7...drunk motor cyclist smashed his leg up bad, he could not get permission for surgery to fix....ER just patched him up and put him in wheelchair...he had been there hours !.....

I think with travel insurance it works little different.

You are expected to pay all costs, and after you lodge the claim and get reimbursed.

I once had an injury which i claimed through complimentary travel insurance(6 months free when using my credit card to purchase air ticket)

Anyhow, it was not urgent, and i did not want to pay up front, so i had to lodge the claim,providing doctors reports etc etc.

Took about 10 days to get approved and to get letter of guarantee for the hospital.

In emergency, they expect you to pay and reimburse you later.

Insurance company where?

d in facts :-)

Not convinced by ' my mate said' stories but intereste

Insurance company office. These are sold by a number of insurance companies, check your little paper and you will see its not 1 company.

I can only tell you what i know :)

As i said, i have not had the pleasure of making the claim, so no personal experience, but this is the reason for this compulsory insurance.

May be pop into Mityon and ask them the procedure or one of the Insurance brokers opposite Big C

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread.

As people have realised these appear to be the rules and this is Thailand so sometimes the rules are.............flexible :) That doesn't mean the rules as written and shared by FTS are not applicable. In fact in light of recent events they may well be much stricter.

Anyway moving this thread to 'motoring as I think it's the more relevant forum.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

• 11 months later...

Be sure to take photos of the bike from several angles in front of the hire guys so they are less likely to try to claim any damage is your doing, they often say no need as we don't do that.

I wonder what they mean if they don't do what>

All these rules.  Let me simplify them for you.

1)  if YOU hit someone, its your fault and you might have to pay to replace the entire bike.

2) if Someone hits you, its your fault and you might have to pay to replace the entire bike.

3) If Someone steals the bike, its your fault and you will have to pay to replace the entire bike.

4) If a Thai gets into an accident / gets his bike stolen and you SEE the accident, Its your fault and you will have to pay to replace the bike.

The same rules apply for Jet skis and Taxis.

" Duct tape turns, "No...No...No..." into "Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm" - Anon

There's all sorts of anecdotes about this issue and actually it's difficult to find out exactly what Thai law says. Even if you did find out it wouldn't necessarily mean that it would happen that way. I was hit head on by a young Thai in a pick up when on a rented motorbike. The bike was a right off and I had to have an operation to sew up my leg. Cost of op and after care paid for by my travel insurance, although I had to pay initially (before going in to theatre!) The owner of the travel agent who rented the bike to me had her costs re-paid to replace the bike by the Thai man or his insurance (I don't know which) but she did have a thai lawyer I think to help her out. It was interesting; the 5 of us, me, her, thai lawyer (spokesman), young thai man and his 'spokesman' or lawyer sat in the police station with sergeant sat at his desk and whatever was being said it was sorted out in a friendly way. I suppose the mortal of this is - get help from the Thais - you've got no chance if you try it on your own, probably.

• 5 months later...

Would any one know if records are kept showing you having a thai motor bike licence 10 years ago or would you have to go through the whole process again. I'm

retired and living in Pattaya have valid Australian car license passport and non immigrant AO visa

Would any one know if records are kept showing you having a thai motor bike licence 10 years ago or would you have to go through the whole process again. I'm

retired and living in Pattaya have valid Australian car license passport and non immigrant AO visa

If you don't have a current Aussie bike lic, you will have to do the test here.

I just converted mine, while a English guy on the day was told to come back and do it all again, as he had let his Thai lic expire. He said he didn't have a English bike lic and he wasn't very pleased. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryle

Archived