IGNORED

What you must know before renting bike or a car, newbie checklist

FTS

Inspired by recent thread, i thought a good idea to post and discuss what people should know about renting vehicles and insurance.

Licence.

When you rent bike or a car, shops will never really ask you for your licence.So it is your responsibility to be in possession of one.

Legally, if you want to drive in another country you must be in possession of IDP International Driving Permit.

IDP is nothing but a piece of paper translated into many languages of the countries who co-signed the agreement in Geneva

It is a temp courtesy extended to foreign visitors to drive.

If stopped by police, you suppose to produce both your home country licence and IDP, HOWEVER note, this being Thailand, you may still get booked, just as you may get away with not showing anything at all.

Legally, tourist can not apply for Thai driving licence. Qualifying requirements at the bottom of the post.

Some may argue TIT, however with latest crackdown on visa, one may find getting licence while being on tourist visa or visa exempt to be very costly.

Insurance

Thailand, just as most of your home countries has compulsory personal injury insurance, which is required by law to register the vehicle. 

This insurance pays a maximum of 15 000 baht for medical bills. There is a death pay out amount, but it is also minimal.

Some rental shops claim to have insurance. It is a false claim.

All Thai insurance company's have terms and conditions, just as insurance company's back in your home country.

In terms and conditions, in small print it states driver must be in possession of valid driving licence issued by land transport department.

In plain language it basically means driver must have Thai driving licence. IDP is NOT issued by land transport department and as such driver is considered to be unlicensed  for insurance and claim purposes.

Basically in plain terms, you are not covered by any insurance rental company may claim to have, unless you are in possession of Thai Driving Licence,

If a rental company insists they have the cover, ask them to show you their policy with clear wording that IDP would be covered.

I repeat again, the only cover you have irrespective of having licence or not is the personal injury compulsory cover of up to 15 000 baht in medical fees

Some people may bring up the point of big boys like Hertz etc.

This international giants do have insurance for IDP though i am not certain if they run it through actual insurance company or internal set up as the cost of added insurance is usually as much as the cost of renting the car, plus they have a deductible.

Personally never seen or heard of anyone lodging claim, people are charged the deductible and nothing else to sign. They(the giants) also always state to contact them in case of an accident and no details on insurance company.

If you are planning to rent a car or a bike, your best option is to add driving option to your travel insurance.

If you are planning to rent a bike, make sure that your driving option does include bike and also make sure the cover is comprehensive for your medical bills and damages to the property.

Accident

I realize this option is limited, but whatever you do try to avoid involving a bar girl in your dealings with police or insurance or other party.

Why you may ask.

For a number of reasons. Firstly like it or not, bar girls are NOT respected by the local people, including the police.

If she is not respected, whatever she says is dismissed and what ever she says is suppose to be what you want to say.

Do not be under the illusion if she is well dressed, she may pass. Very rarely you will come across well educated bar girl and Thai language is as such that people can know of her "status" just by the way she speaks and words she uses.

Secondly, when/if you using a bar girl, you do not know if what you said is what she translated and vice versa.

Thirdly, bar girls get easily intimidated by rich  Thais or people in position of power(what she considers to be position of power is entirely a guess), so again you come out as a looser.

So what to do? Sorry can not give best option.Try to find an english speaking cop.

Damage to 3rd party

I will not say most, but majority of cars have insurance. If you do have an accident with a car, the standard procedure is to demand money from the tourist. 

Well. you do not need to pay up in fear, insist they call their insurance company.

Naturally, they will call the police and try to scare you. Again, go to police station and insist you want their insurance company to come out to assess the damage.

Why you may ask. Because insurance will state the exact costs, which is usually 1/3 of what people claim the damage is. Secondly, they have insurance and if they have top cover insurance will cover them and you.

This is about all i can think of at the moment, other expats can add more.

Qualifying requirements:•Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age•If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).What you will need when applying for your Thai driver’s license:•If you cannot read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.•Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa

Thailand, just as most of your home countries has compulsory personal injury insurance, which is required by law to register the vehicle. 

I repeat again, the only cover you have irrespective of having licence or not is the personal injury compulsory cover of up to 15 000 baht in medical fees

Some may read that as being cover for your own injuries, whereas I think it's only for the injured Third Party?

I don't imagine that many prospective hirers will be put off by your warning, but always good to remind them what their position really is if they have an accident.

Great post, especially the BG element. If your involved in a serious accident (major property damage or personal injury) get some legal representation early to protect your interests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

You missed one important rule... ALWAYS wear a helmet as it is illegal to not do so in Thailand.

Also, 9 times out of 10 Falangs don't bother to get the proper paperwork to rent a bike.

Mr. International:

Trip report #1

Trip report #2

Trip report #3

img0547aa.jpg

Some may read that as being cover for your own injuries, whereas I think it's only for the injured Third Party?

I don't imagine that many prospective hirers will be put off by your warning, but always good to remind them what their position really is if they have an accident.

Edge. Couldnt agree more!

It's very hard to assume anything without reading the Policy Wording. Even then, it is still subject to interpretation.

Almost need a Lawyer to advise you before signing anything....and even then...no guarantees.

I really dont like the stuff in fine print paricularly, in any Legal Document.

Qualifying requirements:•Being of sound mind and good health (not having physical or mental handicap(s) that will prevent them from operating a vehicle safely) - being at least 18 years of age•If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).What you will need when applying for your Thai driver’s license:•If you cannot read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.•Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa

Sorry FTS....but this is utter nonsense.

If that were the case no farangs would have a TDL...because who of a sound mind would CHOOSE to LIVE in THAILAND?

Just a note on gaining a licences

It is entirely possible on a 30day tourist visa.. I got mine last week. You will need the following

A residence certificate from jomtien immigration centre 300baht.  for this you need your passport, 2 passport picks, a letter from your hotel or utility bill (doesn't need to be in your name, just show an address) I used a TOT bill in my landlords name. The whole process takes an hour. Top get the girls from the shop out the front to fill in the forms and make the needed copies. 100baht tip

Ps you need double of everything if you want a bike licence

Then get a medical certificate 180 baht each I think

Take all this as well as your IDP and country of residence licence to the land Transport office. Again get the shop across the road to make copies, they know what to do

Go in and up the stairs, they will check and fill out the forms, you need to do a reaction and colour blind test then pay and photo taken. Best to go after 12pm wont take more than an hour.

Ps if you don't have an IDP you will need to do a driving and theory test and that's near impossible  so make sure you have an IDP

It is entirely possible on a 30day tourist visa.. I got mine last week. You will need the following

A residence certificate from jomtien immigration centre 300baht.  for this you need your passport, 2 passport picks, a letter from your hotel or utility bill (doesn't need to be in your name, just show an address) I used a TOT bill in my landlords name. The whole process takes an hour. Top get the girls from the shop out the front to fill in the forms and make the needed copies. 100baht tip

Take all this as well as your IDP and country of residence licence to the land Transport office. Again get the shop across the road to make copies, they know what to do

Go in and up the stairs, they will check and fill out the forms, you need to do a reaction and colour blind test then pay and photo taken. Best to go after 12pm wont take more than an hour.

Ps if you don't have an IDP you will need to do a driving and theory test and that's near impossible  so make sure you have an IDP

That's even easier than in Buriram!! Thanks BB.

Legally, tourist can not apply for Thai driving licence.

They can apply for a temporary 1-year Thai Driving License

You need a non-Imm visa to apply for a permanent (5-years renewal) Thai Driving License

This 3rd party compulsory does cover your own injury also.

So for example if i was driving and crashed, irrespective of whose fault it was, i can go to the hospital and its covered for up to 15 000.

I believe the term 3rd party in this instance is just a term used,it provides basic cover for whoever was injured.

The aim was not to put people off or to scare them, but really just to inform them where they stand, especially newbies.

Sorry FTS....but this is utter nonsense.

If that were the case no farangs would have a TDL...because who of a sound mind would CHOOSE to LIVE in THAILAND?

Not sure why you think official information from Thai consulate is utter nonsense? http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com/driving.html

Why no farangs would have DL? there are plenty of foreigners living in Thailand and just as many have non immigrant visa.

Why would a tourist need Thai DL? Why would land transport issue Thai DL to a tourist? who legally is limited to 3 months stay per tourist visa

What you have described is a standard procedure for getting the licence, however 30 day visa exempt getting one far from being standard.

Also about bills not being in your name is a total contradiction to officially required  paperwork.

Consider yourself lucky due to someone's incompetence. Certainly not the norm

Because not all tourists go once a year...I go at least once a month so a 30 day visa is perfect adequate

But I technically spend 50%of my time in the Kingdom so therefor any reasonable person doing the same should get a Thai licence

Not sure how much legal weight my IDP would hold with 30 trips in 4 years

About using a utility bill not in your own name is the norm at Jomtien immigration .. I've done it twice. Its seems only proof of an address that they want

This 3rd party compulsory does cover your own injury also.

So for example if i was driving and crashed, irrespective of whose fault it was, i can go to the hospital and its covered for up to 15 000.

I believe the term 3rd party in this instance is just a term used,it provides basic cover for whoever was injured.

We're talking about the little bit of paper we get back with the tax certificate right?

Have you, or do you know of any other farang who has successfully made a claim for their own injuries through that insurance?

If so, maybe you could run us through the procedure.

15k doesn't sound very much, but it would have more than covered the cost of my several mishaps.

They can apply for a temporary 1-year Thai Driving License

You need a non-Imm visa to apply for a permanent (5-years renewal) Thai Driving License

Not according to consulate or land transport websites.

FTS is trying to help....its too late sat in a Thai hospital ER waiting for permission from your home insurance company for a life changing operation.....as i recently experienced in the hospital opposite soi 7...drunk motor cyclist smashed his leg up bad, he could not get permission for surgery to fix....ER just patched him up and put him in wheelchair...he had been there hours !.....

He is trying to help but some of the information being posted here and on the thread concerning driver's licenses in the General Pattaya Discussion section of the board is incorrect and does not agree with what many BM, including myself, have experienced here in Thailand in getting driver's licenses.  As with everything else here in LOS, many things are not set in stone.  Bottom line use your IDP or get a Thai license.  

Not according to consulate or land transport websites.

Not so.....at the time your one year Temporary Licence Expires, you get it converted to 5 year PERMANENT Thai Drivers LICENSE...no probs......unless you have been a bad boy/girl...

Because not all tourists go once a year...I go at least once a month so a 30 day visa is perfect adequate

But I technically spend 50%of my time in the Kingdom so therefor any reasonable person doing the same should get a Thai licence

Not sure how much legal weight my IDP would hold with 30 trips in 4 years

It makes no difference how often you visit, you are still a tourist.

There is no 30 day visa, there is 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Not so.....at the time your one year Temporary Licence Expires, you get it converted to 5 year PERMANENT Thai Drivers LICENSE...no probs......unless you have been a bad boy/girl...

OK, you can contact the consulate and land transport office and tell them they know nothing about their own rules

We're talking about the little bit of paper we get back with the tax certificate right?

Have you, or do you know of any other farang who has successfully made a claim for their own injuries through that insurance?

If so, maybe you could run us through the procedure.

15k doesn't sound very much, but it would have more than covered the cost of my several mishaps.

Yep thats the one.

Have not used it myself as of yet(thanks god :))

But according to a mate, after he had an accident, he went into hospital, was Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

They asked(the standard) if he had insurance, to which he replied yes.

After fixing him up, they asked for the card and he provided that little paper.

The cashier had no clue at first, bu after making a few calls, he had to pay the full costs, then take the bills to insurance company and was reimbursed by insurance.

You are correct, 15 000 is pretty much nothing, but it does cover Xray, the bandages, nurses fees and doctor fees.

From memory his initial bill was around 4000 baht and all was refunded

About using a utility bill not in your own name is the norm at Jomtien immigration .. I've done it twice. Its seems only proof of an address that they want

If i had to guess, i would say they simply did not check. Because logically, how can they accept your place of residence where  it is not your name on the utility bills.

If you have a rental contract, utility bills are not needed at all.

Yep thats the one.

Have not used it myself as of yet(thanks god :))

But according to a mate, after he had an accident, he went into hospital, was Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

They asked(the standard) if he had insurance, to which he replied yes.

After fixing him up, they asked for the card and he provided that little paper.

The cashier had no clue at first, bu after making a few calls, he had to pay the full costs, then take the bills to insurance company and was reimbursed by insurance.

You are correct, 15 000 is pretty much nothing, but it does cover Xray, the bandages, nurses fees and doctor fees.

From memory his initial bill was around 4000 baht and all was refunded

Insurance company where?

d in facts :-)

Not convinced by ' my mate said' stories but intereste

Archived