IGNORED

Cost analysis of owning a car in Thailand

Encora

Hi,

In my home country, the Automobile Association has a magazine in which they yearly do an analysis of the total cost of owning a car, breaking it down to fixed cost and driving costs, the latter dependent on the amount of km driven per year.

Has anyone done this for Thailand, or can anyone give me an idea of what the total cost would be.

Because car purchase prices and residual sale value of second hand cars is so different from my own country, it must be quite different.

Petrol is cheaper here, so are repairs and maintenance.

I did a quick look at the asking prices for second hand cars of popular brands and types, such as Toyota Altis etc, and from a one year okd car, to a ten year old car same type, the asking prices seem to drop by about 35 K baht per year, a lot les then in my country.

This ought to make owning a say two year old car for five years, then trading up, a lot cheaper then at home

Then how does the cost of owning differ from long term rental?

I bought a new toyota hilux vigo last year after i searched the second hands market for more as 6 months in and around sisaket ! The price difference between second hands and new is not big so why take the risk of buying a secondhand problemcar with no knowledge of history ??

Secondhands of 10 years for me was around 300k - 400k and cars younger, like 2y had prices up to 550k as a new one was 744k in my case.

full insurance  N°1 viriya =  +- 19000 baht/year

yearly car tax = depends  2 doors (+- 2k - 3k) or 4 doors (+- 8k - 9k)

oil change = small +-2k big +-4k

fuel consumption = my case  = 2.4 baht/kilometer

second hand sale value = ??? but i hope to get +- 400k when 10y old 

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

Archived