Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Cigars at Duty Free Shops in Airports or in Town

smithzac91

I searched the forums for cigar information and I found a little about them but I still have some questions.  

I don't travel near as much as I should and I have never used the duty free shop at any airport.  In researching some of the threads about cigars, I found quite a few people who said they buy them at the duty free shops on the way in.  If I understand correctly, you can buy duty free items in the airport but cannot consume them in the country that you purchased them in.  Is that correct?  I doesn't sound right to me but, once again, I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

I care about a good quality cigar.  I do like Cubans but there are other places that make quality cigars that I like as well. Being from the U.S., if I can get my hands on authentic Cubans, I would probably buy them.  Can I trust shops selling duty free cigars in Taipei or Tokyo to be legitimate?  I have bought cigars in Mexico and Costa Rica before that promised to be authentic but tasted like dog shit.  I have also bought Cuban cigars in Switzerland before that were pretty incredible, thus leading me to believe they were real.

If there's a chance I may be wasting my money in the duty free shops, I wouldn't mind buying them in Pattaya.  They don't have to be Cubans, just of decent quality.  Is that possible to find?  Someone mentioned the cigar store on Second Road just north of the Marriott.  If anyone has been there, do they have anything decent?

I apologize for the 1000 questions.  I could bring my own with me but I smoke 2-3 cigars a day.  I would need to bring 30-40 cigars on my trip and I am afraid that would take up some very valuable packing space.

Thank you, sir.  Looks like I may need to find some room in my luggage for my own cigars.

I don't think duty free is that cheap, I can buy  packs of smokes at the Family Mart shop in departures cheaper than I can at the duty free shops air side.

Usually in town it's cheaper . 

I agree. Since Thailand's new airport opened, the duty free shops are a waste of time. The days of Don Muang, that was a different story.

Depending on where you might have a connecting flight, some places you can find good deals, such as UAE, Qatar for example.

Just be mindful of Thai duty free limits if you take that option, customs in Thailand can become quite an unfriendly and expensive experience, even for small excesses.

I believe you will find they are genuine but don't expect rock bottom prices either way.

I noticed there is a "Cigarista" in that lot, opposite Nongjai Restaurant on Pattayasaisong, between Pattaya 10 and 11.

I just pick up a box of cheap Ritmeester half coronas at the airport for 800-odd baht. That is cheap compared to home, too bad you can only take one box into Australia.

I believe you will find they are genuine but don't expect rock bottom prices either way.

I noticed there is a "Cigarista" in that lot, opposite Nongjai Restaurant on Pattayasaisong, between Pattaya 10 and 11.

I just pick up a box of cheap Ritmeester half coronas at the airport for 800-odd baht. That is cheap compared to home, too bad you can only take one box into Australia.

Can I import Cuban cigars into Australia?

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service does not prohibit the importation of cigars from Cuba.

Note: The United States has some prohibitions on the importation of certain products from Cuba – including cigars.

As at and from 1 March 2014 cigars that weigh 0.8 grams or less per stick have a duty rate of $0.40639 per stick and are classified to 2402.10.20 in the Customs tariff. 

Cigars that weigh more than 0.8 grams per stick have a duty rate of $508.01 per kilogram of tobacco content and are classified to 2402.10.80 in the Customs tariff. 

Note: Most cigars will weigh more than 0.8 grams and the duty will therefore be charged on the weight of the cigar rather than per stick and GST will also apply. The Customs Tariffshould always be referred to for current duty rates prior to impor

Can I import Cuban cigars into Australia?

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service does not prohibit the importation of cigars from Cuba.

Note: The United States has some prohibitions on the importation of certain products from Cuba – including cigars.

As at and from 1 March 2014 cigars that weigh 0.8 grams or less per stick have a duty rate of $0.40639 per stick and are classified to 2402.10.20 in the Customs tariff. 

Cigars that weigh more than 0.8 grams per stick have a duty rate of $508.01 per kilogram of tobacco content and are classified to 2402.10.80 in the Customs tariff. 

Note: Most cigars will weigh more than 0.8 grams and the duty will therefore be charged on the weight of the cigar rather than per stick and GST will also apply. The Customs Tariffshould always be referred to for current duty rates prior to impor

Your are in the commercial import section - duty free allowance; no duty.

Tobacco

If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased. 

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4352.asp

And this would be this 

previously posted here http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/195400-cuban-cigars/#39;cuban

And this would be this 

previously posted here http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/195400-cuban-cigars/#39;cuban

I believe that shop is further south on Pattayasaisong - down among the 13s.

The place I mean is called "Cigarista", in Tipp Plaza.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@12.931708,100.882601,3a,75y,19.62h,86.93t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFoGkpwjWNtzsfLpE1ppcQw!2e0?hl=en

You sure?  I would be more than willing to look at your shop?  Please post!

You sure?  I would be more than willing to look at your shop?  Please post!

Me? Yep, I looked at it in May. It's in Tipp and seems to have the range you'd expect.

Have you ever bought Cubans in Pattyaya?

Me? No.

I believe the small shop just north of the Marriot has closed (it was just a walk-up window). That was the LCDH store. As stated already there is the shop in Tipp Plaza and the one at the intersection of 2nd Rd and South Rd (Pattaya Tai) on the SW corner of the intesection. Real cubans are available and also can be bought in some of the farang markets like Villa Market.

Prices are high, and selection limited, at duty free in BK. If you find any in Taipei or Tokyo at a decent price I'd buy them rather than waiting.

If you have no idea of prices you can check the online merchant http://www.cigarsofhabanos.com/.%C2'> You probably won't find anything at those prices but it gives you a ballpark figure.

I agree. Since Thailand's new airport opened, the duty free shops are a waste of time. The days of Don Muang, that was a different story.

Depending on where you might have a connecting flight, some places you can find good deals, such as UAE, Qatar for example.

Just be mindful of Thai duty free limits if you take that option, customs in Thailand can become quite an unfriendly and expensive experience, even for small excesses.

Yep i bought cigars there two times.I would say the price is competetive.

Thanks for posting that video, nixonsbest.  I don't know how I missed it using the search function but I suspect it was because I was lazy.  Haha.

I will look at duty free shops in San Fran and Taipei.  That's the route I plan to take.  If they are reasonable, I'll pick them up there.  If not, I'll either bring my own or just search around Pattaya for some decent quality sticks.  That may be a good idea anyway.  It would be a productive and fun way to learn a little bit about the city.

While passing through last month, I did not buy cigars at Dubai airport, where cubans were as low as $12 a piece (e.g. Cohiba), because I assumed they can be found even cheaper in Pattaya.  I was wrong.  Cigarista was the only shop I found in Pattaya and the cheapest cuban was going for $20 and Cohibas were in the 900+ baht range.  Very few people smoke cigars in Thailand and all are going to be foreigners so I guess that's why they come at a premium.  

Archived