IGNORED

Rent a Car?

elcaballero7

I'm flying into khon kaen in august to visit the tgf and I will be staying there for three days. My girlfriend suggested we rent a bike but I told her no. She then suggested I rent a car. She lives in a very rural area. Here's the problem: I'm american and I've never driven a left hand drive car or driven on the left hand side of the road. Should I rent a car with insurance of course? How did you guys do the first time you drove left side? Can I rent a car with an international drivers license?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Yes, you can rent with international license.

It takes a few minutes to adapt, and then it's okay - monkey see, monkey do.

Get an automatic though - I tried manual, but simply can not use my left hand for gearshift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can rent with international license.

It takes a few minutes to adapt, and then it's okay - monkey see, monkey do.

Get an automatic though - I tried manual, but simply can not use my left hand for gearshift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely get an automatic. I'm actually looking forward to the experience.

I first drove in Bangkok in 1983.  I lived and worked in Bangkok for many years driving both manuals and automatics.  I've driven all over the country.  Thais have very little regard for road safety or rules so for that you need to be extra cautious.  Almost all rental cars come with insurance.  Ask to see if it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class insurance.

Just be alert and you'll do fine.

I first drove in Bangkok in 1983. I lived and worked in Bangkok for many years driving both manuals and automatics. I've driven all over the country. Thais have very little regard for road safety or rules so for that you need to be extra cautious. Almost all rental cars come with insurance. Ask to see if it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class insurance.

Just be alert and you'll do fine.

What's the difference between the classes? I've driven in some sketchy places (Mexico, middle east) but never left hand drive.

The transition isn't that hard, I had to do it myself moving to the UK.  The only time I ever drifted to the wrong side of the road was when I rolled into a parking lot and there was suddenly no lane divider.  The key for me was to remember no matter where you are always remember that when driving you are always closest to the median in the road not the curb, fix that in your mind and you'll be fine.

I could be available - as a chauffeur/driver......I am experienced with right-hand-drive-car, being driven on the left-hand-side  of the road....make me an offer?

1st class insurance is the best coverage and really covers everything.

2nd class insurance is a step down but is adequate.

3rd class insurance just meets the requirements for the law. 

I'm very sure that a rental car will have insurance just not which class of insurance.

1st class insurance is the best coverage and really covers everything.

2nd class insurance is a step down but is adequate.

3rd class insurance just meets the requirements for the law. 

I'm very sure that a rental car will have insurance just not which class of insurance.

If you are interested, right in the centre of KKC 100 mts from the Pulman hotel there are a row of Thai shops leading up to a couple of bars, first is Cheep Charlies. The second shop up is a lady who rents cars at the best prices I have found. She is all legit and very nice to talk to. Her husband i local Police Sargent. If you need I can try get her phone and e-mail. Just to warn, the cost are far more expensive than in Pattaya. Regards, Ken

I'm flying into khon kaen in august to visit the tgf and I will be staying there for three days. My girlfriend suggested we rent a bike but I told her no. She then suggested I rent a car. She lives in a very rural area. Here's the problem: I'm american and I've never driven a left hand drive car or driven on the left hand side of the road. Should I rent a car with insurance of course? How did you guys do the first time you drove left side? Can I rent a car with an international drivers license?

Yes, all cars will have insurance...you'll only have to pay 5000b deposit so if you have an accident & its a total ride-off then you ONLY lose the deposit...no more! 

Don't rent a car from a Thai person...IMO they'll screw you over! In the past i've rented from BM's here on PA...

Give mpm (Martin) a PM...he has 4 or 5 (maybe more now) SUV's/4x4's to rent out.....I took this Mitsubishi Triton up to as far as Phitsanulok then came back down to Patts. Heaps of power & ran like a dream all the way. 

small-DSC01433.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am thinking of flying to Chiang Mai and renting a car at the airport.

Do I need an international license or will my UK license be suffucient? Is there anything else I need (other than my passport)?

Thanks.

You need an international licence and passport, and a credit card. Might want to have your home license handy as well.

• 2 months later...

Just had Martin's Triton out for a month, drove Pattaya - Buriram  three times. Lovely truck, ample power, no issues at all.

Good on fuel, (12+ kpl)

Martin is a straight, easy guy to deal with.

Will undoubtedly use him again.

Highly recommended.

Live for the moment. Tomorrow may not come.

I had planned a trip to Ratchaburi and decided to take the Train there - rather than driving from Bangkok. Wanted to rent a Car from there and then do day-trips around the area. However, there was NO CAR RENTAL in Ratchaburi and after trying & trying to find a solution, we finally got a Car from a Rental place  between Bangkok and Ratchaburi - they delivered the Car (for a fee of 700 Bath, including pick-up) for a daily rate of 800 Bath.

The Car arrived, but it had several 100 KM's on the counter, was dirty inside & outside (it rained on the way of delivering).... so what to do? We decided to take the car regardless - otherwise we would have been stuck - to find another Car rental somewhere???

Anyway, we had the car for 10 days, did over 1600 km and all was fine - except a slight "wobble" when going over 110km/hr. The guys came to pick-up the car and even gave us a lift back into Bangkok.

The lesson learned - don't assume that there are Car Rentals at every reasonable sized Town/City....

Also, if you are just visiting Thailand and have Travel Insurance - note that your Travel Insurance will only cover you in a case of injury due to an Car/Motorbike accident if you have rented the vehicle from a REAL AUTHORIZED Rental Agency - not from a private person!!!

Archived