Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Registering motorcycle on my (foreign) name

baklazan

Im about to buy used motorcycle, so I will need to register it on my name. Is it made in the same office as driving license?

Also do I need a letter from immigration, when I have working permit and Thai driving license?

Thanks

Yes, you need the immigration letter to buy, also to sell one if you are trading in. I bought new and the dealer did it but I believe for used bikes you need to go the the driving licence place with the current owner to sign the papers.

For an ownership change it is worthwhile to use the services of one of the bike dealerships. They will do the papers and the legwork of getting it all down to the LTO. They give you a receipt that you can show to any cops who might stop you during the week or so that it takes for them to do the papers. I used the Mytion (SP) place across from Tukcom. Transfer cost about 1000 baht when the dealership did the work.

I think the advantage of them doing it is that they double check VIN numbers and make sure all the papers are in order for you. NO guesswork. A transfer of ownership is worth getting help with. After that annual taxes etc is easy to do yourself.

You do need the residency certificate from immigration but that is easy to do too. All you need is your passport and something showing you rent somewhere. I have always used my current rental agreement, but I have heard of guys doing it with rent receipts. There is a visa office right in the parking lot of the immigration office that will take pictures and fill out the forms for you for about 100 baht. The certificate fee is about 400 baht IIRC.

Once you do have your green book (the title book) keep it tucked away somewhere safe, but carry a copy of the page with your name on it in the bike with the other papers

I am 90% sure the "residence certificate" from immigration is not required when you have a work permit.  Easiest way to check is to pop in to any Mityon shop (there everywhere) and tell them your story and ask what they charge to arrange the transfer and tell them you have the work permit.

Good advice about checking on that detail. I don't know anyone on a WP. Do you have to tell where you live on a WP?

Good advice about checking on that detail. I don't know anyone on a WP. Do you have to tell where you live on a WP?

Your address is written in your WP, I remember when I got my driving license they wanted  copy of this page.

Archived