IGNORED

Some People Don't Get Bitten By Mosquitoes — Why That's True Will Surprise You

QuotaMan

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/people-dont-bitten-mosquitoes-why-130100202.html

It's Memorial Day weekend, which means the time for barbecues and nights outside has begun. But, unfortunately, it's also the time that mosquitoes see as open season to dine on humans.

If you can't spend a summer night outside without slapping your ankles — and you still end up with dozens of mosquito bites — then it might be true that the flying pests really do love you.

And those lucky people who say they don't get bitten? They exist too.

But it's not because one person's blood tastes better to the small hovering bloodsuckers — or at least, not just that. In a TED 2014 talk earlier this year in Vancouver, microbial ecologist Rob Knight explained that the bacteria, or microbes, on skin produce different chemicals, some of which smell more attractive to mosquitoes.

The trillion or so microbes that live on skin are a small percentage of the 100 trillion bacteria that live on and inside the body, but they play a huge role in body odor. Without those bacteria, human sweat wouldn't smell like anything.

However, those different bacteria vary greatly from person to person. Knight explained that while we share 99.9% of DNA with other humans, most people only share about 10% of their microbes.

A siren song for mosquitoes

To demonstrate that mosquitoes are overwhelmingly attracted to certain types of skin microbes, researchers asked 48 adult male volunteers to refrain from alcohol, garlic, spicy food, and showers for two days. The men wore nylon socks for 24 hours to build up a collection of their unique skin microbes.

Researchers then used glass beads that they had rubbed against the underside of the men's feet to pick up their scent as mosquito bait.

Nine men out of the 48 proved to be especially attractive to mosquitoes, while the scents of seven lucky volunteers were largely ignored. The "highly attractive" group had 2.62 times as high a concentration of one common skin microbe, and 3.11 times higher concentration of another common microbe, compared to the "poorly attractive group." That poorly attractive group had a more diverse bacterial colony on their skin as a whole.

Researchers say that it's possible that some people's smell acts a natural deterrent.

But there's an equalizer for those that naturally draw swarms of mosquitoes. The same pests are attracted to beer drinkers.

The study was published in the journal PLOS ONE.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I am one of the lucky ones that does not get bitten by mossies. In April i visited Koh Samet with my girl who was eaten alive whilst we were sat on the veranda of our room eating a seafood take out. Not one bite, she perhaps 10-15.

I have got her into taking anti histimine tablets. They do not stop the bite but stops the irritation. She now swears by them.

They all love me, maybe I am a hansum man . :) any way, my group of friends always get bitten my Mosquitos , except one of our friend everytime. He used to smoke a lot over the years , maybe that why !!!!

I am one of the lucky ones that does not get bitten by mossies. In April i visited Koh Samet with my girl who was eaten alive whilst we were sat on the veranda of our room eating a seafood take out. Not one bite, she perhaps 10-15.

I have got her into taking anti histimine tablets. They do not stop the bite but stops the irritation. She now swears by them.

You should get her some Deet-based spray because sooner or later those day time mossies are going to share their Dengue Fever with her; then despite their distaste for you ... one bite from one dining on you both and you get it.

It's not something you will like.

I'm a Mozzy Magnet too when i am in Pattaya despite using sprays,etc.

It was the same when i worked in Ghana,Gabon and the Ivory Coast.

I don't think going 'Up Country' would be a good idea for me if the mosquitos up there are the size of Wasps with the attitude of Scottish Midges on Yaba.  

It seems like every living thing in the tropics that either Flys,Crawls,Walks,Swims or Slithers wants to either Bite me,Sting me,Eat me ,Bleed me dry or All of them at the same time   :WinkGrin1:

Ive noticed i get bitten the first 3 or 4 days in  pattaya .. then they stop biting me.  So the microbe theory makes sense because in the west everything is sterylsed/fluorided/irradiated/microwaved to death and we arent exposed to too many bugs .. then as soon as we hit thailand we take on board loads of them from the food/water etc.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

People fare better or worse from the Bug Exchange rate.

Mozzies -my nemesis ! :SteamingMad:

Thankfully I didn't get Dengue fever but my leg wasn't right for about 18months after I got bit in Cambodia about 8 years ago
I'd had a load of bites on the first night and the one on my right leg got infected because I kept scratching it,anyway a couple of days later i ignored it and woke up in the morning and my whole leg was swollen with pus and I couldn't walk on it so my mates carried me to the back of a motorbike  so it was off to the hospital where they syringed it out patched it up and gave me antibiotics etc. a few days later the infection got bad again and i just dressed it with bandage but it was weeping pus constantly so it was back to the hospital where the doctor told me that if I'd arrived twenty four hours later they would've had to amputate the leg.
So every day for the next three months I had to clean it out THREE times aday with Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine and cover it back up in that Jungle heat !
That stuff fucking stings!
Eventually I got back to Blighty and went to see my doctor, he treated it again,and it was finally clearing up when lo and behold the damn thing got infected again., altough this cleared up after about another couple of months purely with antibiotics.
All through this time I wasn't allowed to get the leg wet at all -so it was showering with a  7-11 bag strapped around my leg,which was a pain.
I never take a mozzie bite lightly ever since and use all the sprays creams available to man- i drink glasses of tonic water for the quinine to ward off the little bastards and always wear long pants after dark, and apart from a few anoying bites I've been ok ever since.
And I've still got my leg.
The moral of my story is;"Don't scratch the bloody bites"!
Thanks guys..

• 2 weeks later...

it 's depend on the odor of the skin , coming from a mix of bacterias , i think you can more or less control this smell specially with the food that you are eating , one trick is to drink a drop of pure oil of citronella , taste is awfull during a minute then it will spray on your sweat and your skin protecting you from mosquitos .  When you can shower also select a soap with adapted smell .  It works for me .

Mozzies -my nemesis ! :SteamingMad:

Thankfully I didn't get Dengue fever but my leg wasn't right for about 18months after I got bit in Cambodia about 8 years ago

I'd had a load of bites on the first night and the one on my right leg got infected because I kept scratching it,anyway a couple of days later i ignored it and woke up in the morning and my whole leg was swollen with pus and I couldn't walk on it so my mates carried me to the back of a motorbike  so it was off to the hospital where they syringed it out patched it up and gave me antibiotics etc. a few days later the infection got bad again and i just dressed it with bandage but it was weeping pus constantly so it was back to the hospital where the doctor told me that if I'd arrived twenty four hours later they would've had to amputate the leg.

So every day for the next three months I had to clean it out THREE times aday with Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine and cover it back up in that jungle heat !

That stuff fucking stings!

Eventually I got back to Blighty and went to see my doctor, he treated it again,and it was finally clearing up when lo and behold the damn thing got infected again., altough this cleared up after about another couple of months purely with antibiotics.

All through this time I wasn't allowed to get the leg wet at all -so it was showering with a  7-11 bag strapped around my leg,which was a pain.

I never take a mozzie bite lightly ever since and use all the sprays creams available to man- i drink glasses of tonic water for the quinine to ward off the little bastards and always wear long pants after dark, and apart from a few anoying bites I've been ok ever since.

And I've still got my leg.

The moral of my story is;"Don't scratch the bloody bites"!

Thanks guys..

Thanks for sharing, very lucky to have your leg alive and kicking today, I wear shorts at nights , if I forget to put on the cream from 7-11 shops , I get bitten on my back of my lower legs , very itching causes me to scratch the leg a lot , took long time to get the rash to heal , I think I will wear long pants in the night time in my next trip or use a lot of cream/repellent if wearing shorts.m

Couple of points, Not be all or end all just points of note

Dengue mosquitoes are active in the daytime. This may not be 100% but is pretty much the norm. They are also more active near stagnant water.

Mosquitoes, generally, cannot fly very high. If you get bitten a lot at night book a higher floor room. My understanding is they dont really go higher than 3rd floors. Of course this is very general as they can "travel" by other means than flying but if you get bitten a lot its worth noting.

If you are out evening/night - always use repellant. The Thai ones you can buy in 7 etc work pretty well. Use especially on elbows, ankles etc. Not only do they prefer areas close to bone but bites there are more irritable.

Buy a put of that green "stuff" Thais use for everything. It will decrease the irritation and the swelling quickly in most cases.

My family is opposite to Montypythons - they LOVE me but rarely, if ever, bite my wife and kids.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Mosquitos only bite me if they like to have party

maby i drink and smoke to much

• 7 months later...

I don't remember ever getting bit by a mosquito in Pattaya. However, I have pasty white sensitive skin and I've often noticed a bunch of little red dots on my legs. I was never sure if it was a rash or some type of bites.

If he was the only one mosquito in Patts bites certainly just meIt is interesting that it is mainly at the beginning holiday and after when getting Thai musk attacks are rare.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Since 11th December to now , got no bite from Mosquitos , never before in my 17 trips . All because I bought this , much better than the 7-11 repellant stuff . Bought the new stuff from Central Festival fourth floor where they sell baby clothes and children clothes . Only 55 bt .

image.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Couple of points, Not be all or end all just points of note

Dengue mosquitoes are active in the daytime. This may not be 100% but is pretty much the norm. They are also more active near stagnant water.

Mosquitoes, generally, cannot fly very high. If you get bitten a lot at night book a higher floor room. My understanding is they dont really go higher than 3rd floors. Of course this is very general as they can "travel" by other means than flying but if you get bitten a lot its worth noting.

If you are out evening/night - always use repellant. The Thai ones you can buy in 7 etc work pretty well. Use especially on elbows, ankles etc. Not only do they prefer areas close to bone but bites there are more irritable.

Buy a put of that green "stuff" Thais use for everything. It will decrease the irritation and the swelling quickly in most cases.

My family is opposite to Montypythons - they LOVE me but rarely, if ever, bite my wife and kids.

Dengue-carrying mosquitoes, of the genus Aedes, are active at dawn and dusk, I believe.

They have stripes of white on their black bodies.

Another type carries malaria - those raise their butts when sucking blood.

Don't wear blue at night, drink some lemongrass concoction (Thai lemongrass drinks will do) or take some tom yam. All else fails, there's clove cigarettes or the bug repellant creams in pharmacies. If you're camping, mosquito incense works, but have to be careful not to set things on fire.

we all get bitten by Mosquito dont worry about that.

Some people just react more to the bite than others

So some people have bumps the size of a quarter and get itchy like crazy for hours others don't even notice the bite at all its all about your body reacts to the bite and the chemicals the mosquito injects to thin your blood so it can digest it.

I am lucky enough to not feel or get any issues with bites but trust me I get bitten. I was one of the lucky ones to get 2 out of the 7 strains of Dengue so sure I get bitten.

Archived