IGNORED

Best Chinese Restaurant in Pattaya

The prices at Shanghai on 3rd road are actually lower than any of the those places on your list. I suggest people check it out for themselves. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's another tiny little Szechuan place near Bangkok Pattaya Hospital--great potstickers when they have them, not pricey, very authentic, Chinese cook.

In this google map picture it's the Balloon Laundry (old picture obviously). Nixonsbest and I went there and had a nice meal--he can chime in and disagree/agree if he wants.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.952358,100.906049,3a,75y,0.44h,79.67t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swJrhoaJK_L96355qhUIU-A!2e0

There's another tiny little Szechuan place near Bangkok Pattaya Hospital--great potstickers when they have them, not pricey, very authentic, Chinese cook.

In this google map picture it's the Balloon Laundry (old picture obviously). Nixonsbest and I went there and had a nice meal--he can chime in and disagree/agree if he wants.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.952358,100.906049,3a,75y,0.44h,79.67t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swJrhoaJK_L96355qhUIU-A!2e0

Very good food!  Since posting on a Facebook Food Group it has been a regular spot for Expats going to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and the latest report was it is now closed for lunch and opens early afternoon!

post-82617-0-41942400-1422767581_thumb.jpg

post-82617-0-13533800-1422767632_thumb.png

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zxcFzB698YEg.kbhItz0iYtTM

I heard they had closed months ago.

They are open again?!?

When do you snap that picture?

Yes I've eaten there when they were open before they shut down.

To be clear: Talking about the place pictured in Jomtien by Nixonsbest.

I heard they had closed months ago.

They are open again?!?

When do you snap that picture?

Yes I've eaten there when they were open before they shut down.

To be clear: Talking about the place pictured in Jomtien by Nixonsbest.

That photo was taken mid October last year!

What was the food like?

It was quite good.

Yeah, they shut down in October.

They had only been open a few months.

Don't go looking for that place now.

It doesn't exist. 

Anyway, drats you got my hopes up! 

It was quite good.

Yeah, they shut down in October.

They had only been open a few months.

Was it not more like weeks than months ?

Sad to say, I never got the opportunity.

Owner of wok n rock lived in the uk cooking chinease takeaway,think they will be ok.Seems they know what they are doing by all accounts

The would go bankrupt in the UK

There is I good Chinese restaurant on second road around the junction of Pattaya Thai I can't think of the name but have eaten twice , not cheap but very good

The would go bankrupt in the UK

That's probably the reason why he's out here now ...  :wink:

There is I good Chinese restaurant on second road around the junction of Pattaya Thai I can't think of the name but have eaten twice , not cheap but very good

Do you mean Taiwan Restaurant?

It's very inconsistent. Issues with different chefs. The last time I was there it was a Thai lady chef cooking everything but reportedly one of the old chefs with more Chinese food background will return. 

She speaks enough English to tell me her strong feeling that Thai dishes and Chinese dishes are the same.  :Think1:

There are also some very weird issues with the new menu.

The pictures and English text mostly don't tell you what the dish is and there isn't usually anyone there who speaks English well enough to explain it. 

Hilariously, most of the items on the large new menu are labelled as Cashew Chicken. At least that's obviously wrong but you still usually can't tell from the pictures. 

Also they often don't have a lot in stock that is on the menu even if you can figure out what it is that they don't have.

Do most people want to work that hard to eat out? I don't think so. 

In it's current state, I would not be rushing to this place, but it goes up and down, and hopefully it will get better again. 

That said, it you just want to keep it simple and order their standard cheaper Taiwan style dishes

Chicken with soy sauce rice or Fatty pork shank with soy sauce rice ... they've got those down pat.

The prices at Shanghai on 3rd road are actually lower than any of the those places on your list. I suggest people check it out for themselves. 

anybody had map of shanghai on 3rd road?

Hi Wok Rok guy,

How will that duck be cooked exactly?

Deep fried or something else? 

The duck for the pancake rolls is slow cooked in a pot with includes duck fat, orange, aniseed, ginger and more ingredients to give it the aroma and taste.  Then crisped up in a very hot oven.

The pancakes rolls are served with Hoi Sin dipping sauce. We plan to introduce these onto our menu this week coming.

duckroll.jpg

thanks alot for the map nixonsbest

is there any bahtbus route through 3rd road?

Yes...  Great dumplings... hand pulled noodles..

OK, I guess I'm a bit of a detective.

It used to be you'd see a chef in front doing the hand pulled noodles.

In a number of recent visits, I've not seen them doing that anymore and I usually order a noodle dish.

There are still chefs in front doing other things, but haven't seen the noodle pulling in a very long time.

Has anyone else seen them pulling the noodles in the last several months?

In fact I saw someone from the restaurant walk in and show somebody some dried ramen noodles!

Does that prove that's what they're using now instead of hand pulled noodles? Of course not ... just a clue. 

I never thought their hand pulled noodles were that great anyway ... but I am curious if they're still doing that.

It is a very special skill. Most Chinese chefs can't even do it so if they had a chef who could do it and he left, they can't be doing it. 

What noodle pulling looks like:

chinese-noodle-maker-hand-pulled-noodles-la-mian.jpg

The duck for the pancake rolls is slow cooked in a pot with includes duck fat, orange, aniseed, ginger and more ingredients to give it the aroma and taste.  Then crisped up in a very hot oven.

The pancakes rolls are served with Hoi Sin dipping sauce. We plan to introduce these onto our menu this week coming.

attachicon.gifduckroll.jpg

Looks tasty. I would eat that. 

Looks tasty. I would eat that. 

It is mate.

There has been a few Western Chinese restuarants in Pattaya over the years. And people say 'well it's been tried before' The difference is the Chef who is also the owner is a Thai who's cooked in Chinese kitchens in the UK for over 6 years.

She knows Her stuff and we do our best to make customers happy. That's what it's all about.

The dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) are the signature dish of the Shanghai restaurant.

The broth is inside. Delicious!

Archived