IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Will you have you got an outside board for the Smokin' Joes EBS tomorrow?  I walked by yesterday and there was no SJ EBS board and a SJ serving lady in a violet shirt didn't seem to know anything about SJ EBSs.

check the Smokin' Joe' thread in this section  :GoldenSmile1:  Admin's told me to try keep the thread about S&C 

Steak & Co on Soi Lengkee, 12 noon til 23.00 pm (or when runs out, we have 100 portions). Appetisers & Desserts can be chosen from our usual menu, we do have Christmas Pudding available. Our regular menu is also available all day. 

Christmas 2016 A6.jpg

• Like 1

Finally paid my first visit tonight.

Biz thread not place for full review.

Giving marks out of 10 for each of:

Starter

Sides

Service

Steak

Wine

Gave total of 34 out of 50.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 3 months later...

Are the early bird specials still running and if so, what are they?

:Party1:

• 1 month later...

We are changing our Early Bird Specials to "All Day Specials", the promotion / signs hopefully will be changed on Saturday but being Thailand please wait and see if the new signs are outside to ensure the new promotion is running. 

We have slightly increased some prices to take into account these offers are available all day rather then ending at 18.00 pm, we have always budgeted to get full price on all our meals in the evening but want to see if we can sustain discounting in the evening which is typically our busiest period. We are heavily promoting Australian Wagyu steak so its and ideal opportunity to try this fantastic bred of Beef at a much lower then normal price.

Cheers

Ian  

External Sign Steak & Co 100x200cm.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

This is our latest 'Daily Specials' list, there are been some price increases due to changes in our raw ingredient / protein costs, we have however decided to keep the 'All Day Specials' throughout High Season rather then reverting to our previous 'Early Bird' offer.

External Sign Steak & Co 100x200cm.jpg

Steak & Co will be offering it's full regular menu alongside the Christmas menu however no daily specials will be available on the 25th December. The Christmas menu is only available via pre-booking, Turkey & Snowfish are both expensive ingredients and we need to know in advance how much we need to prepare. 

The turkey dinner will included: Roast Turkey, Roast Lamb, Honey Glazed Ham, Yorkshire Pudding, Turkey Gravy, Pig's in Blankets, Roast & Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, Cauliflower Cheese & Cranberry Sauce.  

Christmas A1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

whats the marbling score on the waygu?

ummm

1 hour ago, Swinga said:

whats the marbling score on the waygu?

We usually buy 5/6 for prime cuts like fillet and 7/8 for secondary cuts like the Wagyu Flank and Eye of Rump. It's all pretty much Jack's Creek farm. 

http://www.wagyu.org.au/marbling/

Jack’s Creek Wagyu retains ‘World’s Best Steak’ crown

http://www.wagyu.org.au/jacks-creek-wagyu-retains-worlds-best-steak-crown/

http://www.jackscreek.com.au/products.html

On 12/11/2016 at 16:54, benny31 said:

Steak & Co 

A few weeks ago :GoldenSmile1:

EB2.png

STCO01.jpg

On 4/1/2017 at 16:27, steak&co said:

Yes they are and extended until 18.00pm 

External Sign <a href='http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/314288-inline-links-on-p-a/' class='notreplace' title='' style=steak & Co 100x200cm.jpg">

On 5/19/2017 at 16:54, steak&co said:

We are changing our Early Bird Specials to "All Day Specials", the promotion / signs hopefully will be changed on Saturday but being Thailand please wait and see if the new signs are outside to ensure the new promotion is running. 

We have slightly increased some prices to take into account these offers are available all day rather then ending at 18.00 pm, we have always budgeted to get full price on all our meals in the evening but want to see if we can sustain discounting in the evening which is typically our busiest period. We are heavily promoting Australian Wagyu steak so its and ideal opportunity to try this fantastic bred of Beef at a much lower then normal price.

Cheers

Ian  

External Sign <a href='http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/314288-inline-links-on-p-a/' class='notreplace' title='' style=steak & Co 100x200cm.jpg">

On 11/22/2017 at 13:05, steak&co said:

This is our latest 'Daily Specials' list, there are been some price increases due to changes in our raw ingredient / protein costs, we have however decided to keep the 'All Day Specials' throughout High Season rather then reverting to our previous 'Early Bird' offer.

Only looking at the first item on your specials menu shows that your Monday special of Black Angus Sirloin Steak 250g  has jumped from 395 baht to 595 baht in under 1 year.

That's a fraction over 50% price increase.

Last years Christmas Dinner was 990 baht and this years is 1495. To be fair though this year your giving more for the money.

If your filling the tables your prices are right because the market will tolerate them but, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I feel you've got to expensive.

I betting virtually none of us has had a 50% pay increase over the last 12 months and sure your expenses have gone up but so have ours and most of our currencies have dropped against the baht so the effect is even more pronounced..

However your importing your steaks and I guess a fair bit of other stuff and as the baht is strong its costing you less to do so compared to a year ago.

I'm not slating your food at all because its good and I'm sure heaps of guys will be willing to pay your increasing prices but now I'm no longer one of them.   

Edit: I just want to make it clear I'm not slating your business because how you run it is nothing to do with me, only that I feel you've become to expensive even though your foods good.

Edited by CuppaTea
  • Like 1

We usually buy 5/6 for prime cuts like fillet and 7/8 for secondary cuts like the Wagyu Flank and Eye of Rump. It's all pretty much Jack's Creek farm. 
http://www.wagyu.org.au/marbling/

Jack’s Creek Wagyu retains ‘World’s Best Steak’ crown

http://www.wagyu.org.au/jacks-creek-wagyu-retains-worlds-best-steak-crown/
http://www.jackscreek.com.au/products.html
Very good pricing.

Sent from my HTC_U-3u using Tapatalk

ummm

Cuppa tea. You couldn't buy the waygu yourself and cook it for that price. Aussie beef is bloody dear. He's doing very good pricing. You can always chew on buffalo

ummm

Just now, Swinga said:

Cuppa tea. You couldn't buy the waygu yourself and cook it for that price. Aussie beef is bloody dear. He's doing very good pricing. You can always chew on buffalo

Read my post again, 50% price increase in under a year with a stronger baht resulting in it costing less baht to import things.

My point is about the several price rises in 12 months and how I feel they are a step to far for me, I didn't say they were for anyone else, only me..

2 hours ago, CuppaTea said:

Read my post again, 50% price increase in under a year with a stronger baht resulting in it costing less baht to import things.

My point is about the several price rises in 12 months and how I feel they are a step to far for me, I didn't say they were for anyone else, only me..

I understand the price increases are significant, along with the raw ingredient price increase  & higher overheads each year (my rent went up 20,000 baht per month this year vs last as an example) there is another part to my decision making process. We saw a significant shift from our regular priced menu items towards the discounted daily specials, especially in the evenings which was our traditional cut off point for the 'early bird specials' because protein is a restaurant largest expenditure we could not continue the low priced specials though high-season which is traditionally the time of year we make 80% of our profits, as I stated before our competitors do not even have such daily specials available (Beefeaters or Patricks offering discounted steaks) and I didn't want to return to ending the specials at say 17.00 pm leaving the busiest part of the day to make our profit. I understand the deals are considerably less attractive to some now but they still represent good value for money compared to equivalent steaks locally or back in people's home countries.  

Edited by steak&co

After some good feedback we have amended our Christmas Menu to give the option of 1,2 or 3 courses. 

Christmas A1 - 2017.jpg

• Like 3

In your Smokin Joes topic

You said " You are correct it was 995 last year for 1 course, a Christmas Turkey Dinner, this year we are offering a 3 course dinner for 1495. If you would prefer the 1 course Turkey dinner at 995 Baht I will happily do that, my experience these past year is 80% of customers order 'al carte' from our regular menu thus this year we are doing 'advance bookings only' to avoid food waste."

1495 for 3 courses is very near hotel pricing as their adverts will soon show, check out Holiday Inn Christmas Eve for its unlimited Festive buffet at 1695 baht and Christmas Day Lunch, again unlimited at 1590 baht

https://www.holidayinn-pattaya.com/offers/celebrate-the-festive-season-2017/

You've said in your experience that 80% of people didn't take up your one course only 990 baht deal last year but instead went for your regular menu and I think the reason was the price, not the food, only its cost for one course.

If you can offer a little less and provide a full 3 course Christmas Dinner for 999 baht (breaking the 1000 baht mark is a psychological barrier for many people) you will have a far higher than 20% take up, so much so that you will need Smokin Joes seating which is closed that day.

As I understand it a restaurant makes around 70 - 80% of its profits from drinks sales and Christmas is the one day along with New Years Eve that most people really knock back the booze but you've got to have people sitting there to sell the drinks.

A free welcome Festive cocktail to give people a taste of booze will get them spending on drinks and offering suggested wines per glass, half carafe or bottle with each course will make many think "Hell why not, its Christmas" as will offers on Cognacs, Brandies and Liqueurs to go with the post meal coffees.

Christmas Crackers on the tables and every person having the Christmas Meal being given a 10% evening discount voucher for either S&C or SJ valid for January will, together with the great meal they've just enjoyed, give incentive to return.

Your business my friend but maybe look at higher turnover with a lower margin on your food which you will more than make back on increased booze sales profits.

Whatever, I'm sure your Christmas offering will be excellent in both quality and taste and I wish you, and both your businesses, only well..

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CuppaTea said:

In your Smokin Joes topic

You said " You are correct it was 995 last year for 1 course, a Christmas Turkey Dinner, this year we are offering a 3 course dinner for 1495. If you would prefer the 1 course Turkey dinner at 995 Baht I will happily do that, my experience these past year is 80% of customers order 'al carte' from our regular menu thus this year we are doing 'advance bookings only' to avoid food waste."

1495 for 3 courses is very near hotel pricing as their adverts will soon show, check out Holiday Inn Christmas Eve for its unlimited Festive buffet at 1695 baht and Christmas Day Lunch, again unlimited at 1590 baht

https://www.holidayinn-pattaya.com/offers/celebrate-the-festive-season-2017/

You've said in your experience that 80% of people didn't take up your one course only 990 baht deal last year but instead went for your regular menu and I think the reason was the price, not the food, only its cost for one course.

If you can offer a little less and provide a full 3 course Christmas Dinner for 999 baht (breaking the 1000 baht mark is a psychological barrier for many people) you will have a far higher than 20% take up, so much so that you will need Smokin Joes seating which is closed that day.

As I understand it a restaurant makes around 70 - 80% of its profits from drinks sales and Christmas is the one day along with New Years Eve that most people really knock back the booze but you've got to have people sitting there to sell the drinks.

A free welcome Festive cocktail to give people a taste of booze will get them spending on drinks and offering suggested wines per glass, half carafe or bottle with each course will make many think "Hell why not, its Christmas" as will offers on Cognacs, Brandies and Liqueurs to go with the post meal coffees.

Christmas Crackers on the tables and every person having the Christmas Meal being given a 10% evening discount voucher for either S&C or SJ valid for January will, together with the great meal they've just enjoyed, give incentive to return.

Your business my friend but maybe look at higher turnover with a lower margin on your food which you will more than make back on increased booze sales profits.

Whatever, I'm sure your Christmas offering will be excellent in both quality and taste and I wish you, and both your businesses, only well..

Thank you for your comments, you make some interesting points. I have listened to some other PA board members and made changes I feel are justified, last Christmas was our 'record turnover day' with the same 995 Baht offer, we won't appeal to everyone but I'm sure those coming to use for Christmas will feel like they received value for money. The reason for closing Smokin' Joe's BBQ is to seat all the customers, it's now impossible to seat everyone without the use of both restaurants, we do put Christmas Crackers on the table. Most restaurants see Christmas Day & New Year as a time to maximise both food & drink sales, discounting or giving away free drinks would be very unusual.

Drink's are a large part of any restaurants profit's especially a Steakhouse because of the high protein costs of imported meat, however people enjoying large meals rarely drink large amounts of alcohol often choosing water / soda water or a glass of wine, often they are meeting friends in local bars after the meal. The first few Christmas we hosted a private party of 100+ people, we priced the meal low expecting a good profit from drinks, this didn't turn out to be the case. One of the main reason for offering a Christmas meal is to help facilitate larger groups, 80% of the group will order Steaks from my regular menu with 1 or 2 people wanting a 'Turkey dinner', rather then losing the group booking or alienating those people we give them an option. 

Edited by steak&co
  • Like 2

Okay you know your market better than I, was just giving a few suggestions with the best of intent.

Steak and a decent bottle of Red followed by Brandy always hits the spot for me but Christmas Dinner means several bottles of Whites and Reds plus Liqueur frenzy followed by sleeping (maybe passing out would be more accurate) for several hours. That was what motivated my post about the booze sales and getting in diners by offering a lower price for 3 courses. You could also up sell a good cheeseboard selection with Port.

I guess what I'm really saying is pitch low to get people in for the meal and then make your money on the extras but you said you've tried it and it failed. I've got say though there will be a hell of a lot of people in Pattaya eating Christmas Dinner and some places only giving that option will be packed out.

I still think your only 20% uptake on a Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day should raise questions to you as for the why but if your full anyways it doesn't really matter all that much.

Edited by CuppaTea

• 2 weeks later...

Lot and lots of eateries attempting to fill seats this christmas hard to get the right balance on sales and price only time will tell.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

6 hours ago, JAI DEE MAK said:

Lot and lots of eateries attempting to fill seats this christmas hard to get the right balance on sales and price only time will tell.

JDM

I'm happy being full on Christmas Day without forcing a set menu down peoples throats, I offer Traditional Christmas Dinner as a courtesy to those keeping with tradition, in my experience people come to us on the 25th to celebrate Christmas with a good meal & good company not because of our Turkey dinner. Personally I more then happy with that, we are a Steakhouse and what we do best is 'steaks' sure our Turkey dinner will be brilliant and everyone will enjoy it, but I'd prefer to be offering Prime Rib then Turkey meat, horses for courses I guess. 

• Like 4

quote " horses for courses " are you suggesting a wider choice for mains ??????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So it’s booking only on Xmas day.  Is that right.