IGNORED

Steak & Co. in Soi Lengkee (formerly China Garden)

China Garden

Won't be trying Smokin Joes but looking forward to my first meal at Steak & Co in a couple of weeks.

Though I'm very hard to please ☺️

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Won't be trying Smokin Joes but looking forward to my first meal at Steak & Co in a couple of weeks.

Though I'm very hard to please ☺️

In Pattaya terms, I thought it was very good, every time.

• Like 1

Your 'Early Bird' deals are the earliest fecking bird deals I have ever heard of , I was there last month but would have visited more often if the EB went on till 7, like in most places, even though it wasn't busy - just a thought.

Your 'Early Bird' deals are the earliest fecking bird deals I have ever heard of , I was there last month but would have visited more often if the EB went on till 7, like in most places, even though it wasn't busy - just a thought.

I agree with your cut off at 5 is definitely too early. 6 would be much better and more typical, but I wouldn't expect 7.

Edited by Kreggerz

They just opened and already getting flack leave it alone will you? Or man up and go see the place and maybe just maybe try the food before leaving something negative on this forum.

Good luck with your new venture all the best!

• Like 4

Was talking about the Early Bird at Steak and Co. Been open a long time already.

The aim of the promotion was to get additional customers in our quiet periods which is day time, I think 18.00 pm could be a possibility. After I have sorted a few things at Smokin' Joe's I will review the promotion and maybe push the deal to 18.00 pm as suggested.

They just opened and already getting flack leave it alone will you? Or man up and go see the place and maybe just maybe try the food before leaving something negative on this forum.

Good luck with your new venture all the best!

I think anyone opening any kinda of business (except franchises) will make mistakes, I make significant investments in to the businesses I open with the full intention of making them better and better, however it takes time, repetition & patients. Steak & Co struggled in the first few months with a few issues, (the butter, the bread, the mashed potato) but 2 years later we have many regular customers and a thriving business. 

• Like 3

In Pattaya terms, I thought it was very good, every time.

Thank you, we have a good team of Chef's & Staff now, consistency is critical and I feel we have achieved that now at Steak & Co. 

Early bird till 7pm?

Ummmmm,that defeats the purpose of an Early Bird?

Thank you, we have a good team of Chef's & Staff now, consistency is critical and I feel we have achieved that now at Steak & Co.

Totally agree

But you can never take you're eye the ball

Or standards will drop quicker than a Soi6 hookers knacks

Totally agree

But you can never take you're eye the ball

Or standards will drop quicker than a soi6 hookers knacks

Agree.

A poor experience on my first visit to Beefeater (steak not cooked as requested, indifferent waitress, chilled red wine) and I haven't been back - nor will I be.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Hi there.

I had a quick look at the BBQ menu on the way to Bite Me.

I'll try the food later and give such a new place some time to shake out the kinks.

The BBQ menu looked quite good including BBQ ribs with a variety of styles, chicken, and brisket. There was at least one group share size offering too

Two sides are offered with the standard sizes and the list of sides looked traditional (good).

The Mexican menu also looked good but short and not including desired things like enchiladas and chile relleno. 

A comment on the BBQ part. I saw one non group item with brisket.

But it wasn't just brisket. The only way to order it was as a combo with some ribs.

I was hoping to see an only brisket choice just like there's an only chicken choice.

Also the price on the brisket plus rib was quite high compared to the ribs.

Why is that? Is the brisket beef imported? If not, I thought brisket wasn't a high priced cut of beef.

A question. Is bread served with the BBQ? In the U.S. typically a decent (but not fancy) sliced white bread is served to soak up the BBQ sauce. 

It shouldn't be sugary sweet like Thai white bread.

If not, please consider doing that.

Best of luck with the new venture.

Edited by Kreggerz
  • Like 1

Hi there.

I had a quick look at the BBQ menu on the way to Bite Me.

I'll try the food later and give such a new place some time to shake out the kinks.

The BBQ menu looked quite good including BBQ ribs with a variety of styles, chicken, and brisket. There was at least one group share size offering too

Two sides are offered with the standard sizes and the list of sides looked traditional (good).

The Mexican menu also looked good but short and not including desired things like enchiladas and chile relleno. 

A comment on the BBQ part. I saw one non group item with brisket.

But it wasn't just brisket. The only way to order it was as a combo with some ribs.

I was hoping to see an only brisket choice just like there's an only chicken choice.

Also the price on the brisket plus rib was quite high compared to the ribs.

Why is that? Is the brisket beef imported? If not, I thought brisket wasn't a high priced cut of beef.

A question. Is bread served with the BBQ? In the U.S. typically a decent (but not fancy) sliced white bread is served to soak up the BBQ sauce. 

It shouldn't be sugary sweet like Thai white bread.

If not, please consider doing that.

Best of luck with the new venture.

Thank you for the feedback. We use a full Packer Brisket ordered in front Bangkok, its Thai Beef but butchered correctly by proper butcher so we pay a premium. The last one we smoked took about 9 hours to reach 195-198 degrees Fahrenheit, we wrapped it at 165. It went from 4 kilo's down to 3 kilo's once cooked and fat rendered down. This Brisket had a very small point and we pretty fatty between the two parts, all said and done we had 2 kilo of usable slices. We use a simple Salt & Pepper Texas style rub, we worked out the price using 9 hours of pellets, shrinkage etc...

We do have a Brisket Sandwich, Brisket & Ribs, having another stand alone Brisket dish is kinda prohibited by the cost, we want to give a decent portion without charging silly money. I have been told Makro on occasions have Brisket, if its cheaper and usable the price will come down. At the moment we are just finding our feet and didn't know how popular Brisket would be or even how thickly sliced our customer want the slices etc. . I welcome any feedback and will implement what I can. We do have some white bread available, it's Western style from Continental bakery round the corner. 

We added Margaritas tonight, we are going to look at Iced Tea & Iced Lemon Tea tomorrow. I'm actually thinking of an Early Bird promotion, Free Iced Tea (or Lemon Tea), Free Buffalo Wings when ordering any Half or Full Rack of Ribs before 17.00 or 18.00 pm :-)   Again, night times we have plenty of customers, it's day-time trade I want to encourage. 

Edited by China Garden

Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. 

Beef brisket BBQ is a Texas thing. Some slices in this pic --

http://ocbarbecue.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tribute-to-central-texas-barbecue.html

I think there should be a pickle on the plates and some bread without asking.

Will have to taste the bread you use but a neutral bread is fine because it's for soaking up flavors.

I didn't notice the brisket sandwich as I just did a quick look at the menu. 

I'd prefer a price promotion on the early bird rather than free wings or tea. Up to you. Please have unsweetened ice tea available too. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Popped in at the end of November with my gf and a friend from the UK ,we all enjoyed our food. My friend loves his food and rated it highly ,my Thai gf took many pics for face book and loved it. Will be back for more next trip.

• Like 1

Kiss kiss.   :05:

Please don't take this the wrong way but you do tend to almost monopolise food topics with your extremely frequent suggestions to the owners.

Bite me bistro is a case in point.

I have no doubt that you mean well but easing off would be good.

In regards to the brisket, the slices from the flat are traditionally about the thickness of a standard wooden pencil. With the point, you may want to consider cube chopping that and offering "burnt ends" as an extra item. Processing the burnt ends requires a little extra smoking. (About 30-60 min) but adds to the Texas feel. A small additional charge of 50 baht for the "burnt ends" will easily cover the extra smoking time and likely add some profit to the offering.

Since the new BBQ place is a sister to Steak and Co. I'm going to presume that you purchase whole beef rib roasts for your Prime rib. If that is the case, you could also think about cutting a whole roast into Spencer Steaks and then using the removed beef cap as a "Dinosaur Rib" offering. BBQ Beef ribs are the hot thing in BBQ right now and command a premium for the pleasure. 1000-1500 for one to two ribs would not be out of line for a menu price. Before anyone jumps my case for the suggested price, check this photo.

344e5b450a1406003e7476720905acc7.jpg

That is a three bone share plate that garners $100US in the states. For a single bone $30-50US is not uncommon. So, 1000 baht for imported prime beef bones is a good price for the consumer. Only the owner can figure if that works well for his economics.

One last tip, and this is something virtually all BBQ restaurants have to do, be sure to post and advertise that, each day, items are available until you run out. This encourages people to dine early to ensure selection and helps control loss due to over production. In the kitchen. Brisket and Pork butt take a ton of time to do correctly and it's a balancing act between making enough and running out. Better to run short than try to deal with the loss of over production.

StrikeEagle
"When you care enough to send the Best in the World"

Pussy Prices IMO, Beach Road (Coconut Bar) ST 500 - 800; LT 1000-1500, May be similar in Bamboo and PBG or slightly dearer: Bars and some massage places, bar fine 300-400; ST 800 - 1000; LT 1000-2000, may be cheaper later in the evening: Agogos, bar fine ST 700 - 1000 bar fine  LT 1500 ST 1500-2000, LT 2000-3500: IBar, Insomnia, other Discos, early  expensive getting cheaper as sunrise approaches but 1000-3000 depending: Feel free to PM me with updates

Thank you for the detailed reply on the Brisket, it all help's shape the way we will build our business. Here are a couple of shot's of my first Brisket I smoked, I had cut it as you suggested and it was so tender it would pull apart without effort but still held when hung across my finger, I was really pleased and we only used the Texas style salt and pepper rub. Brisket number 2 didn't come out so well, the taste was there, the moisture was there but it was tougher, today I'm putting in another and going to take it a little hotter to 205.

Beef Short Rib's are easy to get in Thailand, Prime Rib is easy to import and there's even Wagyu Thai (mixed blood Wagyu) ... but Beef Ribs for BBQ hmmmm I need consult with my butcher and my Franklin's BBQ Manifesto :) It might be post Christmas if I can do it.  I recall speaking to Larry back when I first opened Lone Star (Soi7 on the forums) and he said in the State's Beef ribs were VERY cheap, I did get some but they evened up being a silly price.

I think your saying, I can take Prime Rib and cut away the Rib Eye meat section (the Eye of meat) and that would still leave enough meat on the bone for Beef Ribs  ? That sounds interesting 

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

Edited by China Garden

Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. 

Beef brisket BBQ is a Texas thing. Some slices in this pic --

http://ocbarbecue.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tribute-to-central-texas-barbecue.html

I think there should be a pickle on the plates and some bread without asking.

Will have to taste the bread you use but a neutral bread is fine because it's for soaking up flavors.

I didn't notice the brisket sandwich as I just did a quick look at the menu. 

I'd prefer a price promotion on the early bird rather than free wings or tea. Up to you. Please have unsweetened ice tea available too. 

I'm going to give customers the team is come kinda of bottle, then have sweetener (Liquid simple syrup) in a small bottle and Lemon Juice in another if they ordered Iced Lemon Tea, you get a glass with Ice in it and mix as desired. 

I'll have to see about serving bread with every meal, I know Southern BBQ's do this ... I'm just not sure what its gonna look like on the plate, again I understand BBQ isn't fancy food and served on what I think of as school dinner or prison trays in some places  (kinda trays with segments for each thing like beans, slaw, brisket etc), but I will look at it. 

The Early Bird Special is kinda a Win/Win I thought, every customer order's a drink (usually 40-60 baht) so giving free Iced Tea or Iced Lemon Tea mean's they don't need one (I'd let people change it to water maybe even a soft drink), the Wing's again is more about adding value and if we are busy in the kitchen it buy's us a little time. From the economic's point of view, 6 Chicken Wings (199 baht) and an free Iced Tea would cost the business less then say giving 100 Baht of BBQ Ribs on a Thursday or 100 Baht off etc .. its just an idea for now, if I can add value rather then discounting that would be perfect. 

Edited by China Garden

Popped in at the end of November with my gf and a friend from the UK ,we all enjoyed our food. My friend loves his food and rated it highly ,my Thai gf took many pics for face book and loved it. Will be back for more next trip.

Thank you very much, see you on your next trip !

Fellas lets try stay 100% on topic here :) Thread is about Steak % Co - and now their new sister restaurant Smokin Joes. No need to head off at tangents

FWIW I think the new pics look great :)

• Like 2

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Here's a tricky question.

There are ribs on the Steak and Co. menu and now of course lots of ribs options on the BBQ joint menu.

Will the Steak and Co. ribs now come from the BBQ place?   :TMI1: