Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

SIM Card - best option?

I stay 4 weeks.

I won't make many local calls or text massages, as I mostly use LINE and Tapatalk.

I want to check mails maybe once or twice a day. I will also use google maps from time to time.

And I want to keep the number for future visits, also when it's inactive for up to 6 months.

What's my best deal?

I stay 4 weeks.

I won't make many local calls or text massages, as I mostly use LINE and Tapatalk.

I want to check mails maybe once or twice a day. I will also use google maps from time to time.

And I want to keep the number for future visits, also when it's inactive for up to 6 months.

What's my best deal?

Many discussions about this in the threads below.

The major mobile companies (dtac, AIS, True) have 'tourist' SIM packages, which you can get with minimal call/text and then add various data/internet packages to (weekly/biweekly/monthly in different amounts 1GB/3GB/6GB/unlimited for example) at their arrival kiosks in Suvarnabhumi Airport (assuming that you are flying in). Sounds like you will be using little internet, so perhaps the lowest bandwidth for 1-month package is for you. The customer service representatives will quickly and easily sort out whatever combination you want.

As for keeping the number for future visits, that may be a problem as currently being talked about here and also discussed in a number of threads below. I believe the prepaid SIMs usually expire between 30 to 90 days (depending on the service you get) without use or top up, so the numbers can be reused by the company (and quicker number turnover is being pushed by the Government).

My mates and I always get a Happy/DTAC card and it works fine except for the solicitations from Happy. Make sure your phone isn't set for roaming/internet unless that's what you want. Having said that, the girls all seem to go for 1-2-Call. Maybe it's better for those that  live here. Dunno.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

• 4 weeks later...

The DTAC kiosk is 2nd Floor-Passenger Terminal / West at the airport in BKK. Do other mobile service providers have kiosks in the same area?

The DTAC Happy Tourist SIM looks OK and it can be pre-ordered online and just picked up at the airport.

Is this SIM OK (I need data as well as normal phone service), or can someone recommend a better deal from another provider?

TIA

:)

I have the DTAC/HAPPY sim that I purchased at the airport kiosk

over a year ago. I go Thailand every 2-4 months and always add

load when there. Currently says minutes expire next March.

Been happy with it so far.

I have the DTAC/HAPPY sim that I purchased at the airport kiosk

over a year ago. I go Thailand every 2-4 months and always add

load when there. Currently says minutes expire next March.

Been happy with it so far.

And its easy enough to top up? I will most probably use mine primarily for data (with tethered laptop).

I'll answer my own question - from the website it appears the SIM can be topped up online or at 7-11 shops.

:)

• 4 months later...

I normally use AIS but I bought a sim for a second phone which is not used too much for months and i think i got from Dtac one where the number was valid for 1 year  ( possibly 2 years??) with no top-ups needed.

I asked the girl in Tukcom for a sim with a long term number.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Anyone know if I can buy one of these cards in the UK somewhere before I travel? Arriving in to BKK after midnight and can't be bothered to go look for airport shops and such.

DTAC will post Worldwide for 350 baht if you want.

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

If I understand correctly, 599 baht gives unlimited internet for 14 days. Assume you can top up after that?? Anyone know for sure?

Edit in: After reading further on website you can top up online. Can't find details of options?? Maybe just the 299 baht per week???

Further edit in: AIS also do a Traveller SIM for 299 bht a week.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visiting/sim-for-traveller-en.aspx

Pick up at airport, top up at 7-11. Guess the question is, for Pattaya/Jomtien, which offers best coverage and faster internet?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Anyone know if I can buy one of these cards in the UK somewhere before I travel? Arriving in to BKK after midnight and can't be bothered to go look for airport shops and such.

You can get them on eBay posted from Thailand to the UK.

It's not a bother. The mobile service provider kiosks are in the Arrival hall after exiting immigrations and customs, you pretty much have to pass them anyway to get to your onward ground transportation.

DTAC website says airport kiosk is 24 hrs.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived