Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Suggest a gym!

Bek

Out of the Gym activity : may i suggest to just go to a quiet swimming pool and swim , it is a good cardio trainning  and it will keep your body strong .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With workouts I always advise clients to set big goals but have realistic expectations.

I completely agree with the above posters who recommend a room-workout / interval training. 

I used to spend $100+ per month on a gym back home for years.   I wish I'd played around with interval training earlier ... I could have saved thousands.

Download a good interval training app on your phone,  invest in a good gym mat,  and workout 2 or 3 times per day for 10 minutes.    All the science now says that multiple small cardio / strength-training workouts are the way to go.    I am covered in sweat after 10 minutes, and was not close to this ripped back home.  (Not that I'm super ripped... but I'm a hell of a lot more ripped than I ever was before interval training).  

You need a floor, a wall and a chair.   Gyms are last-century bullshit as far as I'm concerned.  It's about sweating and pain, not some "fitness lifestyle" bs.

There is a new disco and gym called Apple, located on Soi Marina, across from the Marine Disco - it is upstairs... I went in to check it out as there were cute girls outside advertising it... Funny to see folks in the disco and also in the fitness center that is located off to one side in the disco... 

I joined the Marriott when I first arrived in Pattaya as I was staying in hotels on Walking Street that didn't have fitness centers and pools (Secrets and Galaxy Suites).  I like it and it is expensive - more than I was paying for a TOP NOTCH fitness center in Maryland (Lifetime Fitness) that was HUGE, had indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tons of weight equipment/machines/free weights, rooms for classes, tons of aerobic machines, a climbing wall, squash courts, and full court basketball courts... But I like living in Pattaya MUCH MORE than I liked living in Maryland, so I don't mind paying more for the Marriott, and it does include free coffee/cappuccino, salad bar, fruit juice, etc... And their pool area is one of the nicest in Pattaya and it is right up the road from Walking Street... The Marriott doesn't have state of the art equipment/in need of an upgrade... But when I drive by the non-air conditioned Gyms like one of the Tony's and/or the one near the police station across from the BigBuddha Hill park - I am thankful for being able to afford the plush_ness of the Marriott... But now I live in a condo that has an awesome swimming pool and decent enough fitness center - so not sure I would reUP the membership at the Marriott when it is time to renew...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

gym prices here are ridiculous for the quality of the machines.  Is there some kind of gym mafia where tony does not allow anyone else?  I can get much better facilities for less in santa monica than in pattaya.

There is a new disco and gym called Apple, located on Soi Marina, across from the Marine Disco - it is upstairs... I went in to check it out as there were cute girls outside advertising it... Funny to see folks in the disco and also in the fitness center that is located off to one side in the disco... 

I joined the Marriott when I first arrived in Pattaya as I was staying in hotels on Walking Street that didn't have fitness centers and pools (Secrets and Galaxy Suites).  I like it and it is expensive - more than I was paying for a TOP NOTCH fitness center in Maryland (Lifetime Fitness) that was HUGE, had indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tons of weight equipment/machines/free weights, rooms for classes, tons of aerobic machines, a climbing wall, squash courts, and full court basketball courts... But I like living in Pattaya MUCH MORE than I liked living in Maryland, so I don't mind paying more for the Marriott, and it does include free coffee/cappuccino, salad bar, fruit juice, etc... And their pool area is one of the nicest in Pattaya and it is right up the road from Walking Street... The Marriott doesn't have state of the art equipment/in need of an upgrade... But when I drive by the non-air conditioned gyms like one of the Tony's and/or the one near the police station across from the BigBuddha Hill park - I am thankful for being able to afford the plush_ness of the Marriott... But now I live in a condo that has an awesome swimming pool and decent enough fitness center - so not sure I would reUP the membership at the Marriott when it is time to renew...

how is that Apple gym? does it have free weights, bench, olympic weights etc?  air conditioned?

gym prices here are ridiculous for the quality of the machines.  Is there some kind of gym mafia where tony does not allow anyone else?  I can get much better facilities for less in santa monica than in pattaya.

I believe that is / was Tony's plan.  Basically, buy up all the Gyms, make everyone buy expensive yearly plans, while not spending a dime on maintaining/up-keeping any of the Gyms

Used Tony's Jomtien for 3 weeks in April and for the last 2 weeks this month. AC sometimes on floors 1 and 2. No AC on floor 3 (bikes and stairmaster floor). Bikes are OK. They work. Resistance is smooth. But the heat/humidity is off the charts. 40 minutes at high intensity is a challenge. Weight equipment mediocre. Like stepping back into the 60's.

Was told this AM that Tony's dropped short term memberships. Only options .......daily @180 baht or a 3 month memberships and up. No weekly, etc. Total bullshit. They are already getting complaints. I will not be back.

I was told a week ago that business is really down because of a drop in tourism. Apparently Tony's solution is to raise rates to compensate for business downturn. Good strategy! Avoid Tony's.

how is that Apple gym? does it have free weights, bench, olympic weights etc? air conditioned?

I believe that is / was Tony's plan. Basically, buy up all the gyms, make everyone buy expensive yearly plans, while not spending a dime on maintaining/up-keeping any of the gyms.

See Tony is on TV selling Apple. It must be one of his. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daryle

how is that Apple gym? does it have free weights, bench, olympic weights etc?  air conditioned?

I believe that is / was Tony's plan.  Basically, buy up all the gyms, make everyone buy expensive yearly plans, while not spending a dime on maintaining/up-keeping any of the gyms. 

I only walked in and took a quick look at the Apple gym so can't really say much... It was air conditioned as it is part of the disco... I recall seeing free weights and weight machines (but not sure which ones)... didn't take a close enough look... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

How about the sign hotel fitness? I heard it's about 9500 a year but I dont know about quality ...

Marriott sounds good about free salad and drink :D but it's quite far from my place.

I like it and it is expensive - more than I was paying for a TOP NOTCH fitness center in Maryland (Lifetime Fitness) that was HUGE, had indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tons of weight equipment/machines/free weights, rooms for classes, tons of aerobic machines, a climbing wall, squash courts, and full court basketball courts... 

I went to Lifetime Fitness in Virginia and they are great Gyms and nothing here remotely compares to it.  It is the one thing that I miss the most now that I live in Thailand.

well at least we know why alot of bar girls are getting fatter, there's no reasonable gym for them to exercise in! 

I went to Lifetime Fitness in Virginia and they are great gyms and nothing here remotely compares to it.  It is the one thing that I miss the most now that I live in Thailand.

Agree, however 2.5 years in Maryland, went to bars near my apartment (Columbia, MD), and didn't hookUP AT_ALL during that time... HUGE dry spell for me... a bud who I worked with before in BKK told me to set my standards lower, but it was difficult to do knowing what I could have in Thailand (and having the plan to retire and head here)... I struggle at times with having a long term "girlfriend" here, and supporting her and her poor Issan family... the UP side of relationships in the States is that for the most part, the girl is working, and her family are OK enough (and the States has social security, and other pension systems - unlike here in Thailand), and the family doesn't need constant money input... but the DOWN side is that I would NEVER EVER have a girl remotely as cute/sexy/etc as what I can have here... So, FOR SURE, the fitness scene here in Pattaya sucks massively, in general, compared to the States... When I lived in BKK, the quality of fitness centers was quite good - they had True fitness and it was real good (not Lifetime fitness quality, but pretty damn good) and the price for long term membership was REAL GOOD as well... too bad True fitness doesn't have a branch here (assuming True is still in business and that they are keeping their fitness centers up/not letting them get run down)...

FYI

DFIT (Dusit Thani fitness club)  6.00 am - 10 pm

Regular price Promotion 

1 visit THB 1,000 

5 visits THB 2,000 

1 Month 

Individual THB 4,000              Husband/Wife THB 7,000                  Family THB 7,500 

3 Months 

Individual  THB 7,200             Husband/Wife  THB 13,800               FamilyTHB 15,500 

6 Months 

Individual THB 13,000              Husband/Wife THB 22,500              Family THB 29,000 

1 Year 

Individual THB 24,000              Husband/Wife  THB 39,800             Family THB 55,000 

** Note : Those with 1 year membership have full use of all services 

and facilities, including Chaba Pool ** 

The zign fitness club  7.00am -11 pm

1 m 3000

2 m 4500

6 m 8000

1 y  9500 + free 2 m

The way fitness club  7.00 am -9.00 pm

1+1 m 2200

2+2 m 4400

3+3 m 6600

6+6 m 8800

Centara    6.00am-10.00pm

1 m 5500

3 m 10700

6 m 20800

12 m 34000

any suggestion?

Long beach garden

1 m 1648

2 m 4473

12 m 14713

Any recommendations on a good gym?

Specifically I'm into the cardio/treadmill kind of training, but normally also take a quick tour of the weight machines, just to see if the body still works... But I am in no way into any kind of power lifting or anything like that!

I have heard (and read) too many negative things about Tony's, so am looking for an alternative - aircon is a must!

I have a condo on Pattaya Tai, so something nearby would be preferable.

I have seen there's a few on the small street leading to Big C from Pattaya Tai - looks nice and clean, any experience with those?

universe gym sukumvit rd

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I worked out at Fairtex, they had a good range of gym equipment. Free weights, machines, powerrack, treadmills etc. The AC was working well, the temperature was at a comfortable level. Towels and a padlock can be borrowed from the reception. There is a sauna and a swimming pool. Everything is nice and clean. They charged around 5000 baht for one months membership, but the price goes down if you sign up for a longer period of time. If everything is still the same at Fairtex I recommend that place.

I tried Tony Powerstation a few years ago, it was run down and pretty hot back then and I suppose it still is. It was acceptable anyway because of the low rates, friendly staff and the fact that they have a lot of free weights, benches and other useful stuff there. But last time I checked the price for one month was almost 4000 baht, so the days of low rates are over. Better value elsewhere.

Marriott, as someone mentioned earlier, looks nice in this video:

I will check that place out, looks like a good alternative to Fairtex. Unfortunately I didn't see a squatrack in the vid, hope there is one... No free juice, sauna etc can compensate the lack of a squatrack :)

I will use Marriott in spite of it's hefty price, because it looks nice and in August I am sure I will also make good use of the pool. But I am in agreement with the sentiments expressed by the posters supporting working out in your room. I am trying to set myself up at home with a few dumbells and resistance bands, yoga mat...and I use workouts eg p90x....get the dvds or find them on youtube. I am tiring of paying increasing gym memberships prices to workout at places I don't really enjoy.

Last year I worked out at Fairtex, they had a good range of gym equipment. Free weights, machines, powerrack, treadmills etc. The AC was working well, the temperature was at a comfortable level. Towels and a padlock can be borrowed from the reception. There is a sauna and a swimming pool. Everything is nice and clean. They charged around 5000 baht for one months membership, but the price goes down if you sign up for a longer period of time. If everything is still the same at Fairtex I recommend that place.

I tried Tony Powerstation a few years ago, it was run down and pretty hot back then and I suppose it still is. It was acceptable anyway because of the low rates, friendly staff and the fact that they have a lot of free weights, benches and other useful stuff there. But last time I checked the price for one month was almost 4000 baht, so the days of low rates are over. Better value elsewhere.

Marriott, as someone mentioned earlier, looks nice in this video:

I will check that place out, looks like a good alternative to Fairtex. Unfortunately I didn't see a squatrack in the vid, hope there is one... No free juice, sauna etc can compensate the lack of a squatrack :)

I did not see a true squat rack in the video, but they did show a smith machine. Not exactly the same but for most it would suffice. I actually prefer it when I have no spotter.

I pay 600 baht a month at Tony's soi 4 Pratumnak. It is pretty well stocked and can get a good workout, some machines a bit old but functioning. No ac but I go in the evening now so bearable, but I like working up a good sweat, reminds me of the old school Gyms we had in Florida back in the 80"s. Oh and they have pole dance lessons on Thurs and Sat night, the eye candy is pretty stellar then. 

I did not see a true squat rack in the video, but they did show a smith machine. Not exactly the same but for most it would suffice. I actually prefer it when I have no spotter.

squats using smith machine is an injury waiting to happen.

Check out the gym at PR mansion on soi 17. Very clean and nice pool

squats using smith machine is an injury waiting to happen.

I agree if it is an older generation style where the range go motion is just straight up and down. If it is one of the newer models the range of motion is vertical and horizontal so bar has a lot more range. I use the later of the two at my gym and it allows for proper form and less chance of mangling your back.

• 3 weeks later...

Look around a few Gyms, marriot 38000, fairtex 20000, Centara grand mirage, 34000, joined the Centara, got 2 months extra in the price, you can use all there pools & the beach is great there, cardio classes are included,image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Archived