Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai SIM number and activation

DazzaDownUnder

Bought a DTAC "Happy Tourist" sim last year...no problems with it.

But do I have to buy a new one every year? How do I keep the thing active for the next trip?

Also, if I buy a new one, (which I will have to again it looks like,) can i find out the number before I activate it?

I want to get some cards made with my number on it, and I'd like to get that done at home before I go.

But as far as I know, I can't know the number until it's activated, and I can't activate it until I get over there.

Is that right?

Any suggestions?

Its not bad value, you can have it all sorted for around AUD 20.

If you get a new sim card delivered, the number should be on the sim packag?

post-82617-0-02383300-1399687814.png

Re Happy Tourist

Call and SMS charges also seem reasonable. They are also offering this which is nice: Free 7-day unlimited internet (3G / dtac wifi) 

What is net access via the 3G network like? Is there 4G anywhere?

(Not wanting to hijack Dazza's thread - just seemed like the right place to ask the questions :) )

Cheers

t

(additional question - are there any other providers with better packages??)

Dazza, I recall some other recent threads in this part of the forum discussing the validity of the various SIM cards. I don't think any of the prepaid ones extend for up to a year. If they aren't topped up within a certain number of days (like 3 months), they expire so the company can reuse the number.

Call and SMS charges also seem reasonable. They are also offering this which is nice: Free 7-day unlimited internet (3G / dtac wifi) 

What is net access via the 3G network like? Is there 4G anywhere?

Have had no problems with dtac 3G in Pattaya. It was faster than my hotel wifi connection last month!

I also use the 7-day unlimited (well, 1GB full speed but not coming close to using it up) internet package right now.

I bought a 12 call sim three years ago on Ebay. I was able to use it while in the US. All I had to do to keep it active was to make a call or send a text every three months. It finally expired because I forgot to send or make a call a few months ago. Also, I was not able to make it back to Pattaya this year. Keeping it topped up from the US.

Have had no problems with dtac 3G in Pattaya. It was faster than my hotel wifi connection last month!

I also use the 7-day unlimited (well, 1GB full speed but not coming close to using it up) internet package right now.

Just one other question - the drop down where you select the sim type has an option

for normal and micro sim. I always thought that they were two distinct

sim types. I have an unlocked Galaxy s4 LTE (GT i9305) - just wanna make sure I get the 

correct SIM.

EDIT - re the SIM size - found this on Amazon (where you can also buy the SIM):

• Dual cut SIM works as Standard or Micro SIM

I think I will order one of these and pick it up when I arrive in a months time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thai SIM cards arrived a few days ago. No number on the packaging.

So I don't know what my number will be and wont know until I activate it.

Sorry mate looks like I put you on a bum steer!  Can you activate it here in Oz?  or email them?

Nah, no worries mate. I don't really need to know the number yet anyway.

My mate reckons you can activate it here through Telstra or somethin'. So I might give it a go a couple of days before I leave.

You going to make up the cards?

Big C North Pattaya 2nd level there is a place that makes cards.

I have an I-Phone 4S from At&T, which I had factory unlocked. It has a micro sim card, will it be a problem getting a Thai sim card for this phone?

I have an I-Phone 4S from At&T, which I had factory unlocked. It has a micro sim card, will it be a problem getting a Thai sim card for this phone?

No problem at all. The SIM cards come pre-stamped with a micro pop-out. Standard prepaid SIM cards like everywhere else in the world.

Get to Suvarnabhumi and hand your phone to the customer service representative at the mobile provider kiosk of your choice after choosing the service package you want, and they will insert and activate your SIM for you, quick and easy.

Back to this thread again.

I wanna keep this DTAC happy tourist sim active so I'm gonna top it up 50 baht every month from home after I come back

Anyone know if there is an option to set up a direct debit or something so I don't forget to do it?

I tried to find something on the site but I can't find anything....but then again, I'm hopeless with this shit.

You shouldn't need to top up every month. I top up just before i come home and my validity extends for 12 months, so as long as i'm back within a year no problem. I've had the same sim card now for about 5 or 6 years.

You shouldn't need to top up every month. I top up just before i come home and my validity extends for 12 months, so as long as i'm back within a year no problem. I've had the same sim card now for about 5 or 6 years.

Those old SIM's have longer expiration dates.  The new ones don't last nearly as long.  Unfortunately for you, those old SIM's are working on frequency allocations that have expired.  All three carriers are transitioning to their newer licenses and one day you will find it doesn't work.  Best not to leave too much credit.  They have been sending out SMS about how to upgrade and keep your number but you have probably missed them by not being in Thailand.

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

Archived