IGNORED

Does anybody use a CPAP machine in patts

raviinc

Yeah, I've had a similar problem.  If you say nothing, the sleep center/doctor will send you to his buddy's DME (Durable Medical Equipment) Vendor or one where he gets some sort of kickback from.  :(

I've gotten into arguments with the sleep doctor who didn't want to do anything but write a scrip for his "preferred" DME.  No thanks!

As far as the original poster, I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years and have had a CPAP with me on every trip during that time.  They have gotten a lot better/smaller than when I first went.   Pre-September 11, I just chucked it into my checked luggage and it was fine.

After they implemented TSA and bag searches, I no longer do this as I don't trust them to not steal/mess with my CPAP.

I now have a small one that fits into one of those square nylon lunch boxes that you can find for a few bucks in Walmart or someplace.  I call it "medical equipment", (which it is), so I have it as a "free" carry-on.  Since It's so small, nobody has questioned me on it yet.

As far as the voltage/plugs, you must check your CPAP unit.  The plug will fit, just make sure the CPAP can do both 220/110 voltages.  The first one I had 15 years ago could but I had to flip a manual dipswitch in the back of the unit to use 220 power.  The new one I use now is automatic.

Never had a problem with maids/bargirls most pay no attention to it at all.  I got a couple of non-understanding stares from girls who were Issan "Farm Fresh", but since they lacked the English to ask me about it, I'll never know what they thought it was!  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any problem clearing these devices through Thai customs.

I've been to LOS probably about a dozen times since having my machine. Always in carry on and only ever been asked two or maybe three times, "What is that?"

Quick explanation and you're through.

If you are talking about getting one posted or sent INTO Thailand, and their Postal Customs or whatever they are called, I have not a clue. Would be interested if anyone has actually had one sent to them in Thailand via DHL / UPS or whatever and if they had any issues, or a delivery as normal. Is there such a thing as "normal delivery" in Thailand and Patts in particular? 555

On e the occasions when I use one with a LT, that's what I explain -- "I snore mak mak - this stop."  Usually let them nod off, then put it on and get a few hours of quality sleep.  I'm almost always up before the TGs, so it's off and put away before they wake up.

On my last trip, I did STs exclusively, so I would see my lovely little companion off, then hit the bed strapped in and sleep like a log for a couple of hours.

I was in such sorry shape when I got mine that I was able sleep without issue (although I have a small scar on the bridge of my nose from where it ended up rubbing the damn skin off!).  It was an AMAZING feeling to actually sleep through the night!

Now I can't sleep worth shit without using it

None whatsoever on my prior 5+ trips, but it's always in my checked bag.

I have an older Respitronic CPAP (10+ years) that is useless on a plane.  I think there are a very limited number that are allowed to be used on planes, and I have considered "trading up" to one, but I know my insurer will screw me on it (they deny EVERYTHING now!).  I would love to have a smaller "travel" one.  Mine is about the size of a shoebox and, with the hose, takes up a ton of room in my luggage.  It's why I ALWAYS have to check a bag when I go to Pattaya.

Explained it all pretty well as I see it too. Apart from the checked / carry-on part.

The first few times you wake up after a FULL nights sleep, no wake ups, is indeed amazing. After using the machine for maybe 10 years (Resmed Spirit Auto Pressure), I still get them, but not as often as the early days I dont think. Just a brilliant feeling after being used to a dozen or so wake ups every night before that.

Agree also about the self concious part - would love to be able to use it on a plane when travelling, but in economy it's always awkward unless you happen to jag a flight that isn't 100% full. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to get one of those!. 555

Once you are comfortable with the lad(ies)y you are with, it becomes easier too. They understand what it is etc, and it is no issue. The issue is mainly in your head, but to be fair, it is a bit of a pain in the ass if you want to spoon / nuzzle your face into her etc when sleeping. However, when faced with a) them not having to hear / deal with me snore, b) I generally still get a good night's sleep despite not having a regular sleeping partner in the same bed, and c) it's better for my longer term health, I think the benefits outweight the negatives.

Has anyone looked at Retail prices of any machines in Thailand? Are they available anywhere to purchase? I am thinking of buying a more modern unit, likely 1/3 or 1/4 the size of the current one, but haven't done any real research yet. Could be an interesting comparison on pricing between Thailand, Australia, US etc...

And whether there is a proper DHL / UPS postage system 555

I've been to LOS probably about a dozen times since having my machine. Always in carry on and only ever been asked two or maybe three times, "What is that?"

Quick explanation and you're through.

If you are talking about getting one posted or sent INTO Thailand, and their Postal Customs or whatever they are called, I have not a clue. Would be interested if anyone has actually had one sent to them in Thailand via DHL / UPS or whatever and if they had any issues, or a delivery as normal. Is there such a thing as "normal delivery" in Thailand and Patts in particular? 555

Explained it all pretty well as I see it too. Apart from the checked / carry-on part.

The first few times you wake up after a FULL nights sleep, no wake ups, is indeed amazing. After using the machine for maybe 10 years (Resmed Spirit Auto Pressure), I still get them, but not as often as the early days I dont think. Just a brilliant feeling after being used to a dozen or so wake ups every night before that.

Agree also about the self concious part - would love to be able to use it on a plane when travelling, but in economy it's always awkward unless you happen to jag a flight that isn't 100% full. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to get one of those!. 555

Once you are comfortable with the lad(ies)y you are with, it becomes easier too. They understand what it is etc, and it is no issue. The issue is mainly in your head, but to be fair, it is a bit of a pain in the ass if you want to spoon / nuzzle your face into her etc when sleeping. However, when faced with a) them not having to hear / deal with me snore, b) I generally still get a good night's sleep despite not having a regular sleeping partner in the same bed, and c) it's better for my longer term health, I think the benefits outweight the negatives.

Has anyone looked at Retail prices of any machines in Thailand? Are they available anywhere to purchase? I am thinking of buying a more modern unit, likely 1/3 or 1/4 the size of the current one, but haven't done any real research yet. Could be an interesting comparison on pricing between Thailand, Australia, US etc...

And whether there is a proper DHL / UPS postage system 555

Have not bought in Thailand but this is where I buy in US.

Would help with the research anyway.

http://www.cpap.com/

Thanks BV

Just for my amusements sakes, I checked the website and clicked on one of the first machines that popped up.

Icon Premo - with some bells and whistles and stuff - $549 USD on yours and $1199 AUD (that's $1050 USD) on mycpap.com.au

Admittedly, the aussie site includes a free mask (i'd use the nasal direct only valued at around $220 AUD).

I guess that when you add international postage / shipping, it would get closer, but still seems that there are several hungie dollars to be saved by going online (in this instance). As it would be a second machine for me, it is a risk worth taking if something goes wrong and it needs to be repaired / returned under warranty.

That said, I won't be jumping in and buying immediately - more research on features to be done. Auto-start seems like a good idea, as indeed does a battery power back up in case mains go down...probably others too, apart from the size.

Thanks for posting the link. If anyone on the ground in LOS knows anything further, please yell.

Cheers

Oh - another thing while I think of it...

Since the initial tests etc at the sleep clinic, then the follow up following machine purchase and first week / months use or whatever, I HAVE NOT been back to any doctor to discuss results / patterns etc.

Primarily this is because I have moved around a lot, and was (still am) in a different part of the country to my "prescribing" doctor. As I sleep like a machine now, comparatively, coupled with the fact that I rarely need to visit a doctor, I haven't really bothered with doing any additional follow ups with the data that is being recorded by the unit.

Is this typical of other users of CPAP? i.e. get a unit and then not really see the doctor anymore? Or is it supposedly a key part of treatment?

The fact that my machine is auto pressure means that I dont have to go back for adjustments or whatever, so this has also been a "comfort" in my mind.

I must say though, that as a nasal mask user, and having issues with a clear nose at night time, I do go through a lot of Otrivin. Might need to get my nose re-broke to see if it improves the oxygen passageway! Any takers? 5555

Oh - another thing while I think of it...

Since the initial tests etc at the sleep clinic, then the follow up following machine purchase and first week / months use or whatever, I HAVE NOT been back to any doctor to discuss results / patterns etc.

Primarily this is because I have moved around a lot, and was (still am) in a different part of the country to my "prescribing" doctor. As I sleep like a machine now, comparatively, coupled with the fact that I rarely need to visit a doctor, I haven't really bothered with doing any additional follow ups with the data that is being recorded by the unit.

Is this typical of other users of CPAP? i.e. get a unit and then not really see the doctor anymore? Or is it supposedly a key part of treatment?

The fact that my machine is auto pressure means that I dont have to go back for adjustments or whatever, so this has also been a "comfort" in my mind.

I must say though, that as a nasal mask user, and having issues with a clear nose at night time, I do go through a lot of Otrivin. Might need to get my nose re-broke to see if it improves the oxygen passageway! Any takers? 5555

I don't know that it recommended, but it certainly is the case with me!  

I've had my CPAP for 9 years, and haven't been back to be tested or recalibrated.  Maybe it's not the smartest thing in the World, but -- as they say -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I have to say, all of this CPAP talk has me seriously considering checking with my insurer and Dr about getting a new one.  Looking at a MUCH lighter and more portable one that can work off of a battery pack in case I can convince Cathay (or whoever I'm flying) to let me use it in route.  I don;t know if the bigger problem is sleep apnea OR the fact that I hooked on using my CPAP to sleep, but I can't seem to get more than 1 or 2 hours sleep on a long flight (despite being in lie flat seats in business or first class).  The ONLY time I got any sleep was a trip where I was completely exhausted when I boarded the plane and took a sleep aid to knock me out.

I've been on CPAP for the past month and so far so good.  I was diagnosed with 'severe apnea' and It took a few weeks to get used to using the machine, but I can tell I'm already sleeping better and not waking up so tired.

For those who haven't been diagnosed yet in a sleep study but suspect you suffer from apnea (snoring, waking up tired, low testosterone), I would suggest telling your doctor you want a 'take home study', because if you do the standard sleep study (in a sleep study center), you might not get diagnosed properly because it's so damn uncomfortable and you might have to do the study more than once to get a good baseline.

I'm glad to hear others experiences who have brought their CPAP with them to LOS, I'll be bringing mine in Dec/Jan.

:Dream1:

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

I put it off for a number of years and got to a point waking up can not breath during sleep

So went done the test and then got results

Because i am unemployed and in South Australia i hears there was a fund where can pay some and the fund pay's the rest.

So went to a Social Worker and like a interview, then sent sheet into the funding an i only had to pay $400

They payed the rest $$700.

This is machine i got but with the Humidifier but i never use that.. also got a full mask cover mouth and nose.. Couldnt just use nose one just was terrible..

http://www.mycpap.com.au/products/cpap-machines-sleep-apnea/automatic/resmed-s9-auto-%28-without-humidifier%29.aspx

So i think this is way over priced i am just glad for that funding and had to be a South Aussie as well to qualify

Archived