IGNORED

Pattaya Beer Garden Update – 15 June

PattayaPete

I missed my weekly blog update last week. Possibly because I felt a weekly missive was a little too much and I did not want to bore the pants off everyone or just maybe it was a touch of laziness sneaking in. Well, OK, it was just laziness on my behalf but I have decided to update the blog once a fortnight from now on.

One of the fun things about the PBG is the fans we are accumulating. I am not so naïve as to believe we are particularly special or amazing in some clever way but it is clear that a certain percentage of the traveling public and expat community do find the beer garden to be particularly suited to their tastes. I’ve been getting lots of emails and personal comments in the bar from people who really, really like the place. So thanks to all that have written or gone out of their way to find me in the bar and pass on some very encouraging comments. I appreciate it muchly and do try and reply to all the emails.

There are others of course who do not like the place or the concept and I fully understand that as well. We are not and can not be all things to all people and those looking for a party atmosphere are inevitably disappointed. A place to chill out, with spectacular views, cheap drinks and quality food at reasonable prices is what we offer, rolled into a place where you can meet single, unattached, independent ladies. No employed bar girls, no barfines, no lady drinks. Meet a girl at the PBG and what you do or what you pay is your business, not ours.

One aspect of the bar that I didn’t anticipate is the success we are enjoying with couples, threesomes, foursomes and so on. Lots of guys have been bringing their barfines in for a meal or a drink before heading off for wilder pursuits. Almost universally their girl du jour enjoys the place and the “getting to know you” phase of the liaison is successful. In fact this has been going so well I sent my spies (well the wife really) to question the girls and find out why they liked the Palace so much. The number one answer was that the staff treated them respectfully. While it was good to hear that, it was not what I expected.

It seems that many of the eateries in Pattaya have staff that look down their noses at bar girls and in that ,oh so subtle Thai manner, put them down. As a freelancer bar I always knew we had to be nice to girls who chose to use the PBG as a base and so instructed the staff that independent ladies were our most important customers and were to be treated as such. It seems that attitude is working wonders with the bar girls as well.

Other comments included the food, some of which is directly targeted at Isaan palates, the ambience which allows intimate conversation and the prices which are cheap enough to ensure their man du jour has plenty of money left over to be generous in the morning. All most universally they dislike the music which is most commonly described as stupid.

From the guy’s perspective, the girls seem to have a good time and as the most expensive Thai item on the menu is 100 baht and the Som Tum is free the pain in the wallet is not too bad.. That means if you get into the three or four friends tagging along mode you won’t be taken to the cleaners. I am seeing more and more guys turn up with two or three or four girls in tow. One dude arrived with eight girls . . . I think he had a spectacular night. The guys almost universally describe the music as great.

Don’t be shy about bringing your girl or girls in and sending them off to Som Tum corner to make their own for free. It is there to be used by anyone who wants to and the girls often enjoy the process of making it just the way they like it and meeting and socializing with the other girls making their own. If DIY is not your girls style they can of course order Som Tum off the menu but that costs 60 baht and is often not done just the way they like it.

We have sorted out most of the teething problems now and are settling into an established bar pattern. The staff are getting better and more accurate in their order taking. The mysteries of steak cooking, potato styles and sunny side up eggs have slowly entered their consciousness and they usually get it right. Still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but certainly improving all the time.

Our worst issue at the moment is the food can be a little slow in being delivered. The bar is deceptive with its size and different areas. You may think the place is quiet when in fact there are 60 or 70 people dining. We have three chefs and two kitchen hands working the busy evening shift but if 20 or 30 orders come through at the same time. as often happens, then things can get a bit slow. The way the staff were processing orders was a bit off as well with some being cooked out of order. I’ve fixed that and we are looking to improve our speed as well. If you ended up waiting too long for an order I apologies and we are working to improve.

Our fleet of baht busses hit the road this week. Getting the message out about the Pattaya Beer Garden is an ongoing mission. We now have 15 PBG baht busses cruising the streets of Pattaya.

340836-18.jpg

340836-19.jpg

340836-20.jpg

340836-21.jpg

Pool tables are an ongoing issue. More than anything else people have been requesting that we put some in. I am worried that they might disturb the laid back atmosphere of the place but so many people have asked it is getting hard to ignore. What do you think? If you have a strong opinion one way or the other I would like to hear your comments.

We are still getting far more freelancers and more business at night. Plenty of guys are in during the day but the number of girls in the daytime can be quite low. We are always encouraging girls to come in earlier and with that in mind we are changing the happy hour times. Happy Hour(s) will now run continuously from Midday to 4pm every day.

I wrote some time ago that I was not sure if opening at 10 am would be sustainable. I am happy to report that the breakfast trade is growing and we will continue to open at 10 am for the foreseeable future. So if you are an early riser (10 am is very early for Pattaya) and feel like a nice cooked breakfast with a view, then drop in and say hello to the morning staff. You will be very welcome.

We were visited by the smoking police last week who after inspecting the place declared that we were OK to allow smoking as we are an open air bar. The only requirement was that we place a sign designating a smoking area. After seeking further clarification it appears that people can smoke anywhere as long as we have a designated smoking area somewhere. Huh? TIT! We do like to comply with the law so the sign is up and smokers may smoke anywhere in the bar. Non-smokers should not be bothered by this as the place is big enough and the breeze strong enough to allow the smoke to dissipate easily.

We seem to have lucked out with our wifi connection. There have been lots of reports of very good speeds being enjoyed in the bar. Wifi is of course free at The Pattaya Beer Garden and we seem to have one of the better connections around town. Getting a good connection is usually a matter of luck in Thailand. Depending on who your connection is shared with by the ISPs so goes your speed. Our luck so far has been great.

That is it for this fortnight. As always we hope to see you sometime soon at The Pattaya Beer Garden.

Cheers

Pete

Pattaya Beer Garden Website

Thanks for the update Pete see you in a few weeks.

She Loves Me I Love United That's Life !!!

Man UTD Isn't Just A Team, Its A RELIGION !

You can be my Wife but only for Tonight !

I need to check that place out when i get there in October, seems like a nice out door setting

Thanks for the update, I have been following all the comments now for a couple of months.

I back in town in November, just missed you March and I love the sound of the place and the pictures I have seen.

Pattaya to me is sitting down with a lady having a nice cold beer and enjoying the view and the sea breeze.

You guys seem to have it all.

See you in November

Hd

Skinny Girls, Skinny Girls, Skinny Girls, I love em, I love em , I love those little BFMs

sounds good! see ya in two weeks!

"A lot of people ask me, 'Kenny Powers, you're a giant superstar. You can get any woman. Have you ever paid for sex?' And the answer is yes, I have. Several times, in fact. And it's actually kinda cool. You can negotiate practically anything and sometimes, even just kind of do stuff in the moment that you never agreed to pay for and it goes by without much argument."

-Kenny Powers

Pete- I definately enjoyed your place as did many of my friends. Ive mentioned it in my TR with a mini review of sorts. My only gripe is one night we came in about midnight, maybe a little later and were told that the bar ran out of food, whether this meant food was no longer being served, I wasnt so sure. But we were a group of about 8. Might be an idea to keep food running late.....just a suggestion. Keep up the good work.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

Hi Pete i really like the idea of your place and i hope it does VERY WELL as i want it to be running at full steam for when i next can get to patts.

I think it is great place to meet and relax with friends or your lady and escape from the mad house that is Walking Street.lol.

Thanks for the posting and i and all the guys im sure appreciate the effort you make.

I know it can't be easy to run a business and find the time to do evrything else as well but it's great that you make the effort and i hope all the BMs support your efforts.

All the best for the future and with any luck i may be there in nov. I hope.

Looking forward to meeting you Pete. Very early July.

I know I will enjoy your bar.

Thansk for the update Pete as you no i missed the report last week as your now doing it every two weeks, so it good to hear all is well ill be by for a beer in the not to distant future

Pool tables are a must for me. Serving food til you close is also a good idea.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

looks good thanks for update see u soon

so well I sent my spies (well the wife really) to question the girls and find out why they liked the palace so much.

So does that make you King Pete And Queen Ann :P

See you next week

All the best Al.

yes pete, defo put in a pool table, have food all day untill you close

keep the rock music low key, not to loud so the customers can chat and chill out with friends etc

keep up the good work

see you next weekend, pattaya imbound after 12 weeks in the middle east

regards

den

Nice one pete hope all is well i enjoy everytime i have been there keep up the good work see yu soon

cheers chris :P:)

Wriggley Tin 1

irish crew landing july 23rd , hope the pool table is in by then , at least we can have a few beers and a game if the girls are slow coming in , see you in july

will defiantly come check it out early august

Great to read your update Pete. You weren't open on my previous visit but I am impressed with what you are doing here and look forward to visiting in August. I am sure your great attitude will ensure a successful business venture and it gives us some varietyof entertainment. I love a game of pool but not sure in is essential in this business unless you can put a table in out of the way somewhere. From what I am reading locals and falang are visiting because of your uniqueness and the pool table will only be a distraction for your workers as is the case in many other bars.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!

Ozzieal

Great update Pete,have it on my list of bars to visit...you could probaly say that this bar is"same same,but different". :GiveBeer1:

1) I'll be there in August

2) Pool tables: A MUST!

We do like to comply with the law so the sign is up and smokers may smoke anywhere in the bar. Non-smokers should not be bothered by this as the place is big enough and the breeze strong enough to allow the smoke to dissipate easily.

Couldn't be further from the truth Pete. Only smokers think this. Non-smokers don't want to be anywhere near cigarette smoke, even if it's only for one breath while the ocean breeze takes it away. Smokers ruin everything.....

Eat. Down. South.

Sounds as if things are going pretty well Pete, not without the minor tweaks of course but that is to be expected and likely will conotinue for some time. I look forward to stopping in the next time I am around. Hope the pool tables are in by then. :GiveBeer1:

Stopped by a couple of nights ago but there did not seem to be any freelancers at PBG.