IGNORED

KLM UK to BKK a couple of questions.

par47

Thinking of trying KLM for next trip, there's some good prices at the moment and I can fly from my local airport saving time and expense of travelling to Heathrow.

Main issue is there's a 6 hour wait at Schipol on the outward leg. So....

1. 6 hours in Schipol, what to do? Is there plenty of restaurants (I like a good feed before boarding cos economy airline food is usually crap!)?

2. Will my bags be automatically transferred or will I need to collect them and recheck-in for the BKK leg?

3. Decent legroom on a KLM 777?

Thanks!

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Thinking of trying KLM for next trip, there's some good prices at the moment and I can fly from my local airport saving time and expense of travelling to Heathrow.

Main issue is there's a 6 hour wait at Schipol on the outward leg. So....

1. 6 hours in Schipol, what to do? Is there plenty of restaurants (I like a good feed before boarding cos economy airline food is usually crap!)?

Lot of shops and decent restaurants . 

2. Will my bags be automatically transferred or will I need to collect them and recheck-in for the BKK leg?

Automatic transfer is the norm but to be sure ask on check in . 

3. Decent legroom on a KLM 777?

Average . 

Thanks!

KLM was my regular airline for many years as it is so much easier flying from Cardiff than having to trek up to Heathrow.

Schipol is a decent airport with plenty of bars, cafés and restaurants and reasonable duty-free shopping.

My bags were always checked through automatically. I never had a problem with this. Obviously, just make sure at check-in that this happens.

It is a small plane from UK to Amsterdam which isn't exactly roomy, but a short flight. The BKK flight was always OK. There is usually a small section of Economy near the front of the plane which is only on the left hand side. I found this to be quieter and always tried to get a seat there.

An advantage of flying via Schipol is that on the way back you can not only bring the 1 litre spirits and 200 cigarettes duty-free but also buy more tax-paid at the airport, as it's within the EU. It is still considerably cheaper than in the UK. I used to buy 3 months worth of cigarettes for my Mother and save her a fortune!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I always try to use klm mainly due to the fact I can go from my local airport, always get good layovers and they are usually the cheapest.

I like schiphol and the Dutch people too.

Shame they don't have a coffee shop in there mind. Would be much easier sleeping on the plane after a few spliffs :)

The only downside is they hardly ever have attractive stewardesses but pattaya makes up for that

I have used them twice and no complaints, infact i will be going with them again in 4 weeks time. So much more convenient, 1 hour 15 mins from UK to Amsterdam,  my layover is only 2 hours so not as much time to kill then a 10 hour flight to BKK landing at 0930 - ideal.

There is an Irish bar only a minutes walk from the Bangkok gate, if you fancy having a drink.  Otherwise there are bars/restaurants/shopping to keep you occupied.

Before using KLM i always flew with  Emirates and i can't see any difference in the seating (space wise) it is same Boeing 777 's that both  use.  Same entertainment console and i even preferred the food (chargrill chicken)  on the KLM flight.  Free drinks when ever you want one.

Oh , and another  thing,  the Dutch don't edit out smut and bad language from their inflight movies.         :ThumbUp6:    

Stevie

I have used them twice and no complaints, infact i will be going with them again in 4 weeks time. So much more convenient, 1 hour 15 mins from UK to Amsterdam,  my layover is only 2 hours so not as much time to kill. There is an Irish bar only a minutes walk from the Bangkok gate, if you fancy having a drink.  Otherwise there are bars/restaurants/shopping to keep you occupied.

Before using KLM i always flew with  Emirates and i can't see any difference in the seating (space wise) it is same Boeing 777 's that both  use.  Same entertainment console and i even preferred the food (chargrill chicken)  on the KLM flight.  Free drinks when ever you want one.

Oh , and another  thing,  the Dutch don't edit out smut and bad language from their inflight movies.         :ThumbUp6:    

Thanks for that, it's good to hear. Using them for first time in August from Dublin. Usually use Etihad or Emirates but the price was too good to ignore, £460. I've the same layover as you, about 2hours both directions. 

The only negative for me is the return flight is leaving at noon, i prefer the late night flights home.

If you are brave six hours is enough time to jump on a train and pop into town. A well organised chap could visit a coffeeshop, have a beer, do a spot of window shopping, buy some clogs, eat a good meal, get a bunch of tulips and get back on time.

Of course this could all go terribly wrong too.

Am flying Klm  next sunday   bhx-ams-bkk  2 hour stop over ,This was not only the cheapest but the least stop over times

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be booking KLM soom :)

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

I fly with them on the 15th Birmingham been with them before  good

Just wanted to check where you clear immigration when arriving in Amsterdam before flying onto the UK, cheers.

Just wanted to check where you clear immigration when arriving in Amsterdam before flying onto the UK, cheers.

You don't basically. You would if flying on to a country within the Schengen area but not to countries such as the UK.

• 4 months later...

Still on radar for next trip, one more stupid question.... is the IFE (movies!) in Dutch or English? 11hour flight with no IFE is a killer!

Still on radar for next trip, one more stupid question.... is the IFE (movies!) in Dutch or English? 11hour flight with no IFE is a killer!

Available in all languages plus they don't edit anything out of the movies. Flew with them for the first time recently and they were spot on. Definately would book again without hesitation.

KLM is the worst airline I've ever flown with and that includes Afghan Ariana, PIA and Bangladesh Biman.

More ugly flight attendants than you can wave a shitty stick at!

KLM is the worst airline I've ever flown with and that includes Afghan Ariana, PIA and Bangladesh Biman.

For me, attractiveness of the flight crew is of secondary importance versus puntuality, price, comfort, service etc. How do you rate KLM on these factors?

Before using KLM i always flew with  Emirates and i can't see any difference in the seating (space wise) it is same Boeing 777 's that both  use. 

Yes it's the same 777-300ER but Emirates have 2-3 inches more seatpitch but have 0.5 inches less width. So it's not the same.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know

Some groups of the flight crew may be older, but nothing worse than Lufthansa or Austrian. It corresp categories flight attendants. Jsemale flew with a crew where the Thai stewardess and some young Dutch blondes, which was not bad at all.

KLM is a good airline. Schiphol is a great airport and one of the most beautiful European airports that I have seen.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Yes it's the same 777-300ER but Emirates have 2-3 inches more seatpitch but have 0.5 inches less width. So it's not the same.

i didn't have my measuring tape in my hand luggage so can't argue. So which is it?  2 or 3?

Stevie

i didn't have my measuring tape in my hand luggage so can't argue. So which is it?  2 or 3?

LOL. Both - Emirates 777-300ER have between 32" and 34". KLM have 31". So it's between 1" and 3". But like I say before Emirates is 0.5" narrower.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know

Schiphol is a great airport and one of the most beautiful European airports that I have seen.

You have obviously not seen many airports lol. Zurich is my personal favorite, I like it so much I even try to get 3 hour earlier flights to ZRH when using it as a transit airport in order to spend time in the Swiss Lounge. Its so clearly laid out and well built. Schiphol is a mess and not a pretty sight.

• 2 weeks later...
For me, attractiveness of the flight crew is of secondary importance versus puntuality, price, comfort, service etc. How do you rate
For me, attractiveness of the flight crew is of secondary importance versus puntuality, price, comfort, service etc. How do you rate KLM on these factors?

1) Punctuality poor 5 hours late

2) Price, was the cheapest

3) Comfort average

4) Services poor

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone, I have now booked KLM for my next trip in March 2015. Really looking forward to it, and being able to fly from my local airport instead of travelling to Heathrow is great :)

Archived